• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Bunny…Are You Onboard?

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Hey squids, I have a meta question for you guys. Up until about a few weeks ago I was an analog control user, which, I believe, limits one’s play ability in this game. While I got to and could hold S+, I decided that analog controls kinda suck compared to motion when it comes to the maneuvers that you can pull off in this game. So I switched my alt account to motion and decided to only play on it until I could get it to S+.

The main difference I noticed between motion and analog is how easy it is to kill squids by “bunny” hopping around and firing down on them with motion set to on. It’s definitely not an end all be all technique, but I certainly transitioned from strafing with analog to hopping and strafing with motion controls. My question to everyone is how valuable do you find hopping around in one on one combat to be? Are you down with being a bunny, or do you prefer other tactics? Me, well, the first ten seconds of this tell the story:

I’m really still a motion control noob, so any other motion-control-only techniques are very welcome.

Absolis

Inkling
NNID
Absolis
Personally, I prefer inking the ground and moving around behind them before they can get me.

Of course, I'm an inkbrush user, so I have a bit of an advantage there. But even on things like the Splattershot Jr. it seems to work out better when I stick to my ink and zoom around them,

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Been doing it for however long whenever I'm using an automatic shooter in almost melee range or using just about anything on the tower. It gets me out of so many jams and lets me win many a fight. Especially when you're aiming straight atop their head while leaping over and behind them.

And just in general, it's satisfying, to hop over someone, spin in midair, land behind them and boot them punt them back to base before they can even turn half way around.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hopping is just another way to fake out opponents, I throw them in randomly so enemies have a hard time predicting where and how I'll go.

If you jump too much, well that's just another opening for chargers x_x

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I never liked when people that use this technique. Despite it being useful (in some senses) I think it's really cheap and unfun.

veenickz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
veenickz
In any competitive game, in any 1v1 situation, you and your opponent need to read each other to get advantage. In splatoon case, if you only limit yourself to swim and strafe then youre putting yourself at disadvantage as its easier for the opponent to read you. So yeah, the addition of hopping is useful for mixing up things

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Even then it's annoying and nothing really changes that in my eyes. Sorry. It may be a useful tactic in some ways but it's not that great and never will be understood or liked by me.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Bunny hopping's been a tactic in competitive shooters for decades, it's as viable here as it is anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom