• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Connection Is Unstable: Splatoon's way of telling you it hates you!

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Alright, this is starting to drive me insane here. Splatoon's servers were running just fine earlier, but now they are just deciding to not want to work all of a sudden. I literally just did a stream where I played 8 matches and literally every single match disconnected everybody because of the server buggering up. Why does this cost me my rank? That doesn't seem fair! Screw you too, Nintendo!

Anybody else experiencing this problem recently? It's making Splatoon unplayable for me now!

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
And I know it's not on my end either, because then the game would just say YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE SERVER, so this is happening to everybody. Is it that the servers are under maintenance or something? Wouldn't you have a warning about that in your $60 video game? I just went from B+ 23 to B 50 in like 4 minutes because of this, so I'm pretty pissed off about that!

Last edited:

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
Well, Splatoon is peer to peer (P2P), so there aren't like hosting servers or anything, it's just you and who you're with. If one of the 8 guys in the lobby is hosting and have bad internet, sucks to be you.

Also it can give that message even if you're the host. My best advice, if you haven't already buy a USB - Ethernet adapter, life saver those are, I wouldn't play without one.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Got one ordered, but yeah, this all started recently after doing some PB's with some folks on a Splatoon-oriented Discord server and now I just can't finish a single match in regular, ranked or private. Hopefully this ethernet adapter fixes my problems

Last edited:

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
In my experience and from testimony of others, I'm gonna say it *should* hep immensely. So good luck!

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Yeah, the only servers that exist for splatoon are matchmaking servers. Once the game pairs you up with a full lobby, it then leaves the match in the hands of peer to peer. But I will agree, get the adapter, it will do wonders. Makes downloading updates for games much faster too. Best part about the adapter is that if you plan on getting a Switch at some point in time, then you can use the adapter for that too.

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
> Best part about the adapter is that if you plan on getting a Switch at some point in time, then you can use the adapter for that too.

Or maybe makes it worse since the Switch not having an Ethernet port is stupid (´-ω-`)

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Yeah, the only servers that exist for splatoon are matchmaking servers. Once the game pairs you up with a full lobby, it then leaves the match in the hands of peer to peer. But I will agree, get the adapter, it will do wonders. Makes downloading updates for games much faster too. Best part about the adapter is that if you plan on getting a Switch at some point in time, then you can use the adapter for that too.
I'm hoping Nintendo actually has the damn decency to put a bloody ethernet port in the Switch this time, but yeah, when I originally wrote this thread, I didn't actually realize that at the time and figured it was a them problem. The way they describe a disconnect though is a bit misleading, because saying The Connection Is Unstable doesn't tell me whether it's unstable on my end or not. It was working fine earlier too, so that's what led me to believe it was a fault of the server, because after the 3rd time it happened, I realized it wasn't my teammates/opponents end. But it also doesn't help showing me other inklings dropping out of the match as well when I do disconnect, so that was just poorly explained on the game's part. But yeah, until I get that ethernet adapter, Splatoon's an unplayable game for me at the moment.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I'm hoping Nintendo actually has the damn decency to put a bloody ethernet port in the Switch this time, but yeah, when I originally wrote this thread, I didn't actually realize that at the time and figured it was a them problem. The way they describe a disconnect though is a bit misleading, because saying The Connection Is Unstable doesn't tell me whether it's unstable on my end or not. It was working fine earlier too, so that's what led me to believe it was a fault of the server, because after the 3rd time it happened, I realized it wasn't my teammates/opponents end. But it also doesn't help showing me other inklings dropping out of the match as well when I do disconnect, so that was just poorly explained on the game's part. But yeah, until I get that ethernet adapter, Splatoon's an unplayable game for me at the moment.
Nah, the Switch has already been confirmed to not have an Ethernet port. Also, there are already Nintendo licensed adapters made by HORI on sale with the Switch logo on them. There are USB slots in the docking station though.

> Best part about the adapter is that if you plan on getting a Switch at some point in time, then you can use the adapter for that too.

Or maybe makes it worse since the Switch not having an Ethernet port is stupid (´-ω-`)
Oh, it definitely is stupid, but Nintendo has gotta be Nintendo. Always behind on these sort of things that should be standard.

peat-warrior

Banned (6 points)
Oh, it definitely is stupid, but Nintendo has gotta be Nintendo. Always behind on these sort of things that should be standard.
I really wonder, why Nintendo's marketing decisions are often so weird and random. I mean, they surely have some professional analysts which are studying the consumer market and they still don't get it together. Perhaps the CEO's life philosophy is Smoke Weed Everyday...

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Chiming in to say that YES, getting an ethernet adapter will greatly help. Not just in this game—but most of all this game—but with any online thing you want to do with the WiiU.

I say this from experience. The WiiU's wifi is just... well, garbage. It's the only wifi capable device I own that has ever given me any sort of problems. My N3DS, barely functional 3DS, and old DSi all mock it. I even had the blasted thing sandwiched between my router and modem (still do)—was still disconnecting from matches at a disgusting rate.

Let us know how things go with the adapter.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Got my adapter, just tested it out, and it has fixed all of my problems. Man are ethernet cords expensive though! $20 for the adapter and another $40 for a second cord. It's like I bought Splatoon all over again! But it was worth it!

Amarae

Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
IMO if you didn't have the adapter you weren't playin' Splatoon to begin with (´ω`)

Now you can also play Smash Bros and Mario kart too.

CapBoyAce

Full Squid
NNID
kidclub123
I understand that the adapter works wonders, but I just can't use it. The router is on the second floor, and the Wii U is on the first floor on the opposite side. I might be able to move it (the room that the router is in just got an HD tv), but if not, anyone with suggestions to boost wifi? If not, then, well, good luck for me ;)

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Where are you shopping for $40 ethernet cables? o.0

As for boosting a wifi signal there are wifi boosters. You may also want to look into a wifi repeater or extender (they're two different things). Though there are some products that can do multiple task, like boost and extend the signal, others really don't and just have it slapped on the box to get it sold.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
Where are you shopping for $40 ethernet cables? o.0
I needed a 50fter because the router is on a different floor than my computer and Wii U at the place I'm currently living at. Would of been like $70, but the cord was on sale.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Oh wow, was really thinking that would be one of the more likely reasons other than getting ripped off but I was like, "Naa~ah, couldn't be." lol

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
When I move, the router will most likely be right next to my rig, so that's gonna be like 42ft of Ethernet taking up space and about $50 down the drain, since I have two 50ft Ethernet cables.

CapBoyAce

Full Squid
NNID
kidclub123
As for boosting a wifi signal there are wifi boosters. You may also want to look into a wifi repeater or extender (they're two different things). Though there are some products that can do multiple task, like boost and extend the signal, others really don't and just have it slapped on the box to get it sold.
Alright, I'll consider it. Maybe I need a better speed. I have 12mbps :scared:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom