• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The connection is unstable

scarth

Senior Squid
Is anyone else receiving a large amount of these errors? I'm unable to complete the majority of my games because of them. I live in New Zealand and do not have an ethernet adapter for my WiiU, could this be a cause of the problem?

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
I'm sure it's not just on your part, it's possible that there are groups of friends all disconnecting at the same time. It's mostly Nintendo's fault for not making better matchmaking so you'll just have to deal with it for now.

superman

Senior Squid
There's a number of reasons this problem occurs to you, I can't help without you providing more information.
What's your internet connection speed, do you use 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wifi, how was the access point mounted, where is your Wii U, what's the distance between the devices?
We can't really tell whether it's your wireless connection or your internet connection, sure there's also the Problem Ikieri describes but it shouldn't be as bad as you are describing.

Please keep in mind that using the internet for surfing, even streaming can't be compared to real-time applications like gaming or VoIP. Going wired might solve your problems, getting a different ISP might solve your problems as well, like I said, we can't tell at this point.

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It happened a lot to me during the testfire, which pushed me into buying a new modem/router. It works fine now, although the lag still exists if I am playing against Japanese or European players (regional matchmaking when?).

scarth

Senior Squid
Is your Internet connection wired or wireless?
The connection from my WiiU to my router is wireless, but obviously my router to the street is wired. As I said, I don't have an ethernet adapter for my WiiU.

I'm sure it's not just on your part, it's possible that there are groups of friends all disconnecting at the same time. It's mostly Nintendo's fault for not making better matchmaking so you'll just have to deal with it for now.
In the games I've played since yesterday, I only saw one person drop apart from myself.

There's a number of reasons this problem occurs to you, I can't help without you providing more information.
What's your internet connection speed, do you use 2.4GHz or 5GHz Wifi, how was the access point mounted, where is your Wii U, what's the distance between the devices?
We can't really tell whether it's your wireless connection or your internet connection, sure there's also the Problem Ikieri describes but it shouldn't be as bad as you are describing.

Please keep in mind that using the internet for surfing, even streaming can't be compared to real-time applications like gaming or VoIP. Going wired might solve your problems, getting a different ISP might solve your problems as well, like I said, we can't tell at this point.
Connection speed of 12.5/1, can't remember my wireless speed. Access point is mounted about 2 meters from my WiiU with several aerials.
I usually encounter no issues when playing any other PC game; Splatoon is the first game I've tried to play online from my WiiU. I've been looking at upgrading my internet for a little while now but there's been no real need to, maybe this might be the tipping point.

It happened a lot to me during the testfire, which pushed me into buying a new modem/router. It works fine now, although the lag still exists if I am playing against Japanese or European players (regional matchmaking when?).
I was getting the issue last night as well, but it's now 7:30am here and I'm still encountering the same issues when trying to play. A friend mentioned to me that Dota and CSGO servers in Australia were messing up, and I thought for a moment that New Zealand's internet as a whole was having issues, but that may have just been a coincidence.

I'm going to pick up an ethernet adapter today regardless, but I really hope this isn't a problem on my end.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've heard about this a bit, but I've never gotten the error. Try contacting Nintendo.

scarth

Senior Squid
Since last posting I've had it happen fairly randomly with no particular patterns. Annoyingly, it mainly seems to happen after playing through a round, and occurs right next to the end. I'm not really sure why this is happening in the first place, and Nintendo don't seem to offer a way to contact them outside of a phone line which I don't think is what will help with technical issues. Is it known if there is a livechat?

scarth

Senior Squid
Please excuse the double post.

Im intending to pick up an ethernet adapter tomorrow from a local store, but I don't know which one to get. Price is obviously an issue, and the one I was intending to pick up (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z...X-EU-4208-USB-2.0-to-RJ45-Ethernet-10100-Mbps) reportedly doesn't work with the WiiU according to a review on NewEgg.

If anyone has experience with any of the adapters on the following search, could they please let me know which worked for them?
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?p=search&sf=ethernet&c=adapters

superman

Senior Squid
I'll hook my wired adapter up to my Linux machine figure out which chip it has.

scarth

Senior Squid
Thank you. I've found that apparently the ASIX AX88772 chip is the one to use, can anyone confirm this or does anyone know if other chips work?

superman

Senior Squid
I'm truly sorry man, I didn't get around to it yesterday :( family stuff
Earliest I can confirm is in about 8-9 hours.

superman

Senior Squid
Yep I can confirm it is an ASIX AX88772. This is what lsusb shows
  • Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0b95:7720 ASIX Electronics Corp. AX88772

scarth

Senior Squid
Thank you, it looks like I'll have to order the alternate one. I found that for some reason, moving my WiiU 50cm to the right of where it was has mostly fixed my connection, but I am consistently dropping on Skatepark for some odd reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom