• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The cute splatling hug

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
I don't know which splatling to choose, too many varieties, too much patience.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
In general here are my takes on the splatlings:
  • Mini Splatlings for close-mid range skirmishes
Standard for general offense (like your standard shooter, run and gun with emphasis on gun)
Zink for offensive support (help pushing, passing bubblers and disrupting enemies)
Refurbished for duelist play (not much pushing, but just attacking and harassing inklings)
  • Heavy Splatlings for mid-long range general support
Standard for defensive support (sit back and shoot from afar)
Deco for supportive offense (mostly pushing with some ability to help out allies)
Remix for area denial (make sure the enemy thinks twice before going in, and if they do go in make them regret their choice)
  • Hydra Splatlings for long range defensive support
I haven't had much experience with the Hydras, but from their sets they pretty much both fill the same defensive support role in their own ways

jakeoti

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Wishsong214
It is the moment where I truly identify with my Inkling; winning a match with the Hydra Splatling and hugging it. Speaking of which, it's Tower Control on Moray and Flounder right now....

ilysm

Inkling
Can confirm that this is pretty much one of the main reasons why I play splatlings to begin with. Too adorable.

The way I see it, splatlings operate on this sort of spectrum. The heavy splatlings are in the middle, halfway between shooters and chargers. Heavy splatlings take a little while to charge but have good range and a good spread/damage output, so they're best for mid/long range support and combat. The mini splatlings are more like shooters than chargers; they're more conducive to faster movement and mid-range front-line confrontations because of their subs and quick charge time. Hydra splatlings are more like chargers than shooters; they take longer to charge but have lots more range, while offering pretty much the same spread. This makes them good for long-range support (especially on maps with long sightlines) in a manner similar to chargers. But I feel like it's good to try a lot of them once you get comfortable with one, so you have flexibility in a variety of different roles.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The heavy, no matter the varient, is the splattershot of splatlings.

You can do whatever with any splatling, so long as you have the aim for it.
I would probably benefit from playing more mini/heavy splatling, as I tend to want to rush in and catch the enemy off guard whenever they are vulnerable enough, as these two are faster in every aspect for such encounters...
but I personally just love the superior range, POWER(I still don't understand why they buffed the damage of the highest dps gun in the game, but I ain't complainin' ^_^), and (most importantly) super sleek metal look of the hydra over the other splatlings. It's a good feeling when you know your opponent is stunned while respawning from a close-quarters hydra ambush =P=P=P

And, of course, custom hydra has the sprinkler =D

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I LOVE the hydra, the spray duration, and the range are too impressive to give away. It's so good, whenever I use a heavy splatling, it seems pathetic and weak. Don't even get me started on the mini splatlings, I literally think that the spray duration lasts less time than when I blink. Still, they're all great weapons with impressive range and firepower.

Still, I'm a sniper main, the mortal enemy of all splatlings, as I outrange every one of them and out damage them with an impressive one-shot. And, yes I've killed hundreds of splatlings through my scope. mwah hahaha....

ReeSquidGig

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Her / she
NNID
Ree
Switch Friend Code
SW-8348-2484-7793
I love using the hydra splatling for tower control, well, splatlings for anything... :):):)

I think the best effective ability to use for a splatling is damage up, so you wont have to keep circling the same squid over and over again trying to hit them.

Last edited by a moderator:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the best effective ability to use for a splatling is damage up, so you wont have to keep circling the same squid over and over again trying to hit them.
I always used Ink Recovery Up so I wasn't out of combat for too long. Aside of that, I found some success with Haunt. In general I didn't find Damage Up that useful considering the Splatling's insane output (they already splat faster than most shooters)

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
It's one of my favourite victory animations. So adorable! Showing their fangs makes it even cuter. I use the Zink/Refurb Mini Splatlings which aren't too massive for the Inkling to hug. xD

Tsuchinoko

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Tsuchinoko
When I first saw that hug animation I thought it was the best one in the game. I hope they do something similar in the second one. It also made me glad that my favorite weapon wound up with my favorite animation too.

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
On a similar note, I've fallen in love with the Splat Dualie post-battle animations for Splatoon 2.
(They, along with the other victory/defeat weapon animations for Splatoon 2, can be seen here.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom