• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 The dearth of splatoon 2 is upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.

-*-

Full Squid
how glorious it is , the game is taking its final breaths. Nintendo knows the community isn’t worth hosting lan competitions, and now they have thrown in the towel and ended content updates. The most weenie community in existence will now have to enjoy the wasteland of the same stuff over and over. Smash bros ultimate is almost here and go into the plaza and all you’re going to see is artwork revolved around celebrating its release. Because now a game worth spending a lot of time on is about to be released. I commend the players who will stick with this game to compete for prize pools that probably don’t even cover travel expenses. And Lans that have audiences in the tens of dozens. I encourage everyone to follow me to smash ultimate and spend their time on a game that actually matters, splatoon 2, and everything that has happened in its competitive scene since it’s been released proves this game is going nowhere and is perfect for those who aim for the same. How bad is it? Even Ezra from ghost gaming (the only sponsor in the west to my knowledge) said the game is getting boring and not worth it. Maybe that’s why he wants to be a pro overwatch player . Lulz.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
You act as if Nintendo was ever planning to update the game indefinitely. They never were. Nintendo isn't throwing in the towel, they're finishing what they started.

Nintendo isn't in the business of running a constantly updating MMO. Splatoon has its based price and that is it, if they planned on having the game update indefinitely, there would be in game purchases like loot boxes or have the game based on a subscription service which are designed to continually fund development indefinitely.

Noco

Full Squid
how glorious it is , the game is taking its final breaths. Nintendo knows the community isn’t worth hosting lan competitions, and now they have thrown in the towel and ended content updates. The most weenie community in existence will now have to enjoy the wasteland of the same stuff over and over. Smash bros ultimate is almost here and go into the plaza and all you’re going to see is artwork revolved around celebrating its release. Because now a game worth spending a lot of time on is about to be released. I commend the players who will stick with this game to compete for prize pools that probably don’t even cover travel expenses. And Lans that have audiences in the tens of dozens. I encourage everyone to follow me to smash ultimate and spend their time on a game that actually matters, splatoon 2, and everything that has happened in its competitive scene since it’s been released proves this game is going nowhere and is perfect for those who aim for the same. How bad is it? Even Ezra from ghost gaming (the only sponsor in the west to my knowledge) said the game is getting boring and not worth it. Maybe that’s why he wants to be a pro overwatch player . Lulz.
With Splatoon 2's Splatfests and balancing updates running until July, the game is not dead. Even after the updates are finished, the players who really enjoy Splatoon 2 will continue to play it. People even still play the first Splatoon, which hasn't been updated for over a year. I also don't understand the purpose of posting on a forum for Splatoon players telling us to leave the game to play Smash; Most of us will likely play both. I'm fully aware that Smash Bros. has a bigger competitive scene than Spla2n but I enjoy Splatoon and since they're both games I'll worry less about prize pools and more about having fun, which is what games are supposed to accomplish. If I cared so much about money I'd be a lawyer or a doctor.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
idk why you seem to have that need to talk so much negativity about everything or brag so much about stuff :l but tbh your not giving yourself a good reputation,this is not the first time i seen you posting something like this to start a argument with people,are you really that bored or something?

awedry

Full Squid
I feel like people will definitely focus on Smash when it comes out, but after the newness dies down, there will be some players who will return to Splatoon. Splatoon and Smash have different gameplay styles, and some will prefer Splatoon while others will prefer Smash. A lot of people will be getting Switches this holiday season and I think a lot of people will play Splatoon for the first time late this month/early next year. That, combined with the 20-25% attach rate that Splatoon already has to Switch consoles, and Nintendo may even decide to continue Splatfests beyond July if the casual player base is still there.

One thing's for sure though: Nintendo values their IP's more than anything, and we haven't seen the last of Splatoon (especially with Inklings in Smash. I'm pretty sure that Splatoon 3 will be a thing someday, or at least more DLC for Splatoon 2.

~A.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Splatoon 2 was never going to receive continuous updates. Hell, it got its update schedule EXTENDED and the community was given new tools to play around with. If that doesn't speak to the game's success in some measure, I don't know what does. Splatoon 2's not going to stop existing because Smash Ultimate released, nor will its servers shut down because a lot of people are going to play Ultimate on release date.

I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish by constantly being abrasive towards this small, neglected community. If your goal is to rile people up, surely there are more populated places where you can upset a larger number of people.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Uh I also want to point out that this guy clearly doesn’t follow the competitive scene because he doesn’t know other teams like Demise (formerly quantuM) and Hive (formerly Deep Blues) are successful sponsored teams. Splatoon 2 became an eSport in Japan. BNS (weekly friday tournament) draws in hundreds of dollars for prize pools, and more new tournaments are forming (including the new inkTV Open, an online Major with a $300 STARTING prize pool, which will be tri-annual). I mean yeah there aren’t thousands upon thousands of dollars to be earnes but the game sure ain’t dead, and it won’t be any time soon. The meta will continue to shift and people will continue to play competitively for fun (and some extra cash), including myself.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
@-*-
I agree smash ultimate is going to be a great game...but you do realize you can enjoy more than 1 game or community at a single time

Also a few other point to take note of.....

1. Splatoon overall is like a smash in term of the community, there is still a very active community playing splatoon 1 let alone splatoon 2 and if you don believe it there are two thread below dedicated to the first game with new posts that are still active today....

2. Nintendo is still supporting the game via patches and splatfests (btw they are still giving out gear for) as well as monthy salmon run events, and tbh Nintendo even came back near the end of Splatoon 1 lifespan and add add a whole bunch of extra weapons in DLC updates

Lastly stop being a cynical content poster, pissing people off reguarly isn't fun for anyone....including you, since you are likely gonna get bashed alot

there aren't a whole lot of toxic players in this enviroment, stop trying so hard to be negative and just enjoy the game and the players

***For future note, if a community is near it's legs bring out what you enjoyed about the game,then say what you want to see improved in future titles it is more upbuilding and promote more conversation and discussion
OR
bring up what you are excited for in other upcoming title such as Smash Ultimate

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There are people still playing Splatoon 1 to this day. The community outside of the game might dry up a bit as time goes on, but the game itself will not. It is what it is, and while there's still frustrations occasionally there is no need for a thread like this. Splatoon, in some shape and form, is here to stay.

Merch_Andise

Inkster Jr.
NNID
solarOddity
Switch Friend Code
SW-1239-4877-3880
Imagine thinking that the game is gonna die because they announced that they were finished with weapon updates -.-

Chill tf out. Christmas is gonna bring new players, and balance patches are gonna come out till summer to keep the game interesting. I'm not too sure how releasing the final weapons marks the death of Splatoon 2 when there are still updates coming out for it. So thats some double-digit IQ stuff on your part. Worst thing thats gonna happen this month is that there will be a temporary dip in players for the first few weeks when smash comes out. Keyword being "temporary"

By the time Splatoon 2 updates finally stop for good, Splatoon 3 would probably already be announced by then lmao. Unless they decide to take a small break from Splatoon and make some sort of weird spin-off.

DJ Particle

Senior Squid
NNID
DJParticle
Switch Friend Code
SW-0728-9987-8856
Like others here have said... initially, stage and weapon updates for Splatoon 2 were only supposed to go through July 2018 (my guess was they were scheduled to stop with the Octo Expansion), but this game got so popular, they decided to continue that support for an extra half-year.

Not to mention, July 2019 may not be the real end of full support. Bear with me here:

1) We know there are two more "special" Splatfests coming after FrostyFest (thanks to JelonzoBot), and had Team Trick won Splatoween, Marina would have said "we'll get 'em next year!", leading me to think that the 4 "special" Splatfests COULD repeat on an annual basis. So whereas July 2019 may mean the end of NEW Splatfests, Marina's leaked dialogue suggests we could get quarterly repeating holiday Splatfests. Not confirmed, but it makes you wonder. And they wouldn't have to add any new patches to the game to do it.

2) Rumor mill still has it that the final support patch in July may unlock all the Shifty Stations for Turf War/Ranked/League rotations (as well as Private Battles), increasing the available maps by another 20+ in one shot.

If those turn out to be true, it would spark continual interest in the game for years to come, while still not needing any further patches after July 2019.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
this also kinda reminds me of the time when everyone thought back in september that Nintendo online would kill Splatoon 2 but it has never happend xD it had some more disconnects in the first few weeks after nintendo online became a thing but after that, things went back to just the usual in splatoon 2 haha

-*-

Full Squid
@-*-
I agree smash ultimate is going to be a great game...but you do realize you can enjoy more than 1 game or community at a single time

1. Splatoon overall is like a smash in term of the community, there is still a very active community playing splatoon 1 let alone splatoon 2 and if you don believe it there are two thread below dedicated to the first game with new posts that are still active today....

2. Nintendo is still supporting the game via patches and splatfests (btw they are still giving out gear for) as well as monthy salmon run events, and tbh Nintendo even came back near the end of Splatoon 1 lifespan and add add a whole bunch of extra weapons in DLC updates

Lastly stop being a cynical content poster, pissing people off reguarly isn't fun for anyone....including you, since you are likely gonna get bashed alot

there aren't a whole lot of toxic players in this enviroment, stop trying so hard to be negative and just enjoy the game and the players

***For future note, if a community is near it's legs bring out what you enjoyed about the game,then say what you want to see improved in future titles it is more upbuilding and promote more conversation and discussion
OR
bring up what you are excited for in other upcoming title such as Smash Ultimate
I like the attention. When I post a nice decent post it goes no comments and no likes, but when I express without holding back it gets lots of attention.
@-*-

OR
Uh I also want to point out that this guy clearly doesn’t follow the competitive scene because he doesn’t know other teams like Demise (formerly quantuM) and Hive (formerly Deep Blues) are successful sponsored teams. Splatoon 2 became an eSport in Japan. BNS (weekly friday tournament) draws in hundreds of dollars for prize pools, and more new tournaments are forming (including the new inkTV Open, an online Major with a $300 STARTING prize pool, which will be tri-annual). I mean yeah there aren’t thousands upon thousands of dollars to be earnes but the game sure ain’t dead, and it won’t be any time soon. The meta will continue to shift and people will continue to play competitively for fun (and some extra cash), including myself.
I trie
Uhh, you described exactly what I did . You even mention a $300 starting prize pool and “bns draws in hundreds of dollars” as a rebuttal to what I’m saying? Lulz. I know exactly what I’m talking about. There’s video evidence confirming my “tens of dozens in the audience” at splatoon lan claims. This game is for people who have time to waste because no major esport team like faze clan or liquid would waste a penny on this. Who are demise and hive anyways? People only famous to people wasting time on this game. I admire the passion, but your rebuttal is so sad. As I said, it’s going nowhere, and it’s perfect for people who aim for the same “people will continue to play competitively for fun” that’s what I mean by going nowhere bro. Might as well enjoy some competive Mario kart while we are on the subject. No one disputes the game is fun, I’m saying it’s chances of being a serious esport are dead. Your answer to my post confirms it on every angle

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I like the attention. When I post a nice decent post it goes no comments and no likes, but when I express without holding back it gets lots of attention.
Well technically speaking taking a **** in public will also get you a lot of attention.

Doesn't mean that you should do it.

SmokyWreck

A captain of the darkness.
Smash is not interesting one bit to me, this is fully my opinion and thoughts on the communauty;
It's gross. The "competitive" players are a good majority pathetic. It take forever to find anyone that just play for fun, 100% of the time if they are "competitive players", they'll keep crying about how you spam this, how you're bad at that, how you should have done this or that, no ammount of "I'm playing for fun, not to win." Make them realise you're NOT trying to be the best player out there, they keep pushing their ideals on you. I'm thankful I've met players that can have fun and don't cry about every thing. But guess what, those players I can count them on 1 hand. How sad is that? And those "fans" that harrassed Sakurai over dumb memes, should I talk about how toxic the salty players who plague the online are? Should I mention the fact Smash was never meant to be competitive and even Sakurai himself tried to push theses competitive players away from the game to bring it back to being family friendly? Should I mention that compared to Splatoon, Nintendo is incrdibly more likely to host an official tournament on smash over splatoon? As far as I know, nintendo only hosted invitational games to try out the new smash, while Splatoon had an actual official tournament sponsored by Nintendo.

If I'm blunt, everyone in splatoon I've seen be this toxic are wanna be best players, in smash, everyone is at eachothers' throat. The smash communauty is also less welcoming of people who are there for fun, compared to splatoon who welcome everyone. You could ask someone if they'd like to play with you and 99% of the time, they'll refuse because you're "bad".

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Smash is not interesting one bit to me, this is fully my opinion and thoughts on the communauty;
It's gross. The "competitive" players are a good majority pathetic. It take forever to find anyone that just play for fun, 100% of the time if they are "competitive players", they'll keep crying about how you spam this, how you're bad at that, how you should have done this or that, no ammount of "I'm playing for fun, not to win." Make them realise you're NOT trying to be the best player out there, they keep pushing their ideals on you. I'm thankful I've met players that can have fun and don't cry about every thing. But guess what, those players I can count them on 1 hand. How sad is that? And those "fans" that harrassed Sakurai over dumb memes, should I talk about how toxic the salty players who plague the online are? Should I mention the fact Smash was never meant to be competitive and even Sakurai himself tried to push theses competitive players away from the game to bring it back to being family friendly? Should I mention that compared to Splatoon, Nintendo is incrdibly more likely to host an official tournament on smash over splatoon? As far as I know, nintendo only hosted invitational games to try out the new smash, while Splatoon had an actual official tournament sponsored by Nintendo.

If I'm blunt, everyone in splatoon I've seen be this toxic are wanna be best players, in smash, everyone is at eachothers' throat. The smash communauty is also less welcoming of people who are there for fun, compared to splatoon who welcome everyone. You could ask someone if they'd like to play with you and 99% of the time, they'll refuse because you're "bad".
I think it'd be way too early to make that call. There will be tournaments of Smash in the future, and they'll do it regardless of whatever comp scene will appear. I mean yeah the pro-gamerz(tm) scene can get kind of embarrassing sometimes but it's not fair to generalize them all into one group, i still believe that the fair majority of the comp scene are nice people who are perfectly willing to help out. It's just that news about nice people isn't as interesting as news about whatever drama is currently ongoing.

You can't expect people in the pro scene to take you seriously if you keep goofing around. In a way they do absolutely play to win, but figuring out the ways on how to do it is the fun part about it in competitive. If you're not committed into putting the hundreds/thousands of hours into sharpening your skills, you aren't getting in simple as that.
It really makes no sense to decry this game as noncompetitive, especially now that this game does throw a few bones to the comp scene(Battlefield versions of each stage and the high end of the elo getting analyzed for further patches).

If you're still talking about Sakurai getting harassed over dumb memes(I assume you're talking about Waluigi) know that it was three people who did that. And two of them apologized for it later. But people went absolutely mad over it for no reason and were completely shocked that people harassed others online, as if this was the first case Sakurai got whined at for not doing a thing they like. There's many more complaints like that against the poor man, lost in obscurity somewhere. The only thing you can learn from this is that news travels fast online, and people won't necessarily believe the truth if it isn't interesting enough.

Point being, vocal minorities and hype will make any fanbase look like a fool.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146

After hours of deliberation with the Council of High Intelligence and Educational Findings (C.H.I.E.F), it has been determined that the contents of this statement/post “ain’t it” until further notice. You can basically say anything you said in this post about any community or game and hating a game because of its community is just questionable in the first place???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom