• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Diary of a Dead Site

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
47 days since last Squidboards notification.

It's a real shame that this site had to die. Probably my favorite on the entire internet. I occasionally post a reply on some threads, but even then, no notifications. Players on Twitter and Discord say that the community needs a single place to meet, since Discord is split into distinct servers, and debating on Twitter brings a whole host of issues. Why they don't come back to these forums, I'll never know.

I suppose I should explain what I've been up to, as one of the regulars on this site.

About 5 months ago, for some sick person's idea of a Christmas present, my ISP cut my bandwidth in half. Living in rural Michigan is definitely a challenge in terms of the internet. My connection was already just above the border, so a chop was devastating.

Here's the real problem.
I live so far back in the woods that this is the only ISP available, and only since 2016. We've been in talks with Charter run a line out here, but $10,000 isn't something I have right now, if ever.

TLDR; I can't play Splatoon.

Aww shucks

Enough about me. I'll be back next week to whine some more.

Raumdeuter

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4621-1461-0439
Forums in general are dying as people tend to prefer instant messaging and such so this was going to be Inevitable. I only just joined late last year so I've missed out on all the activity that used to be here. I'm sure you lot had some good times so be thankful it all happened and that you got to experience it at least.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
Hey, 47 days is nothing when the last update before that was 368 days prior!
I hear that, though. I dislike how temporary and chaotic public Discord servers are and how much of a nightmare it is to follow Twitter threads sometimes.
The internet problems really suck. I hope for the best, but knowing how ISPs are here... can't expect much to change, sadly.

Cephalobro

The thing I don't like about Discord is that pressing enter will just post the stuff that you typed, this is why I don't like using it since I have the habit of making extremely long posts that reach the levels of paragraphs and I want to make my posts easy to follow by separating the paragraphs. Here, I just need to press Enter to separate paragraphs, but on Discord, I have to use a lot of the Spacebar just to separate paragraphs, it gets unnecessarily inconvenient for long, descriptive posts.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
The thing I don't like about Discord is that pressing enter will just post the stuff that you typed, this is why I don't like using it since I have the habit of making extremely long posts that reach the levels of paragraphs and I want to make my posts easy to follow by separating the paragraphs. Here, I just need to press Enter to separate paragraphs, but on Discord, I have to use a lot of the Spacebar just to separate paragraphs, it gets unnecessarily inconvenient for long, descriptive posts.
Shift+Enter allows you to do a line break without sending your message. Most of the time if a messaging program sends your message on an enter press, Shift+Enter works there as well.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Hey, 47 days is nothing when the last update before that was 368 days prior!
I hear that, though. I dislike how temporary and chaotic public Discord servers are and how much of a nightmare it is to follow Twitter threads sometimes.
The internet problems really suck. I hope for the best, but knowing how ISPs are here... can't expect much to change, sadly.
Agreed.

Discord just doesn't do the same things as a forum. It's good for chatting for sure, but it really isn't the greatest for informational, elaborate, or complex discussions. Especially if you want to look back on the discussion in hindsight. Nobody is really gonna reach a text wall in a chatroom.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Yeah, this site is indeed dead. I still can remember how happy I was to find this site, and how disappointed I was to know that its dead. thanks guys, for everything here <3

kunoichi squid

Inkling Cadet
Agreed.

Discord just doesn't do the same things as a forum. It's good for chatting for sure, but it really isn't the greatest for informational, elaborate, or complex discussions. Especially if you want to look back on the discussion in hindsight. Nobody is really gonna reach a text wall in a chatroom.
Totally agree with you; I love to some times go back and re-read old topics in forums and look at a discussion. Also it's great for archives and such so you can easily access the information again. Not so much with Discord.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
1 day since last Squidboards notification.

The irony is thick. A post about the lack of activity on this site has become the most active thread of the past month. It's beautiful in a way.

So I guess not much has changed. I went to SNS5 over the past weekend, and it was absolutely awesome. It was well organized, ran smoothly, everyone was super nice, and my team played better than I thought we would. 5th in the bronze bracket, which isn't all that well when you factor in the rest of the tournament, but I'm proud of it. I got to talk to a bunch of cool people I've been wanting to meet for a while, and it was all-around fabulous.

I lost my lunch box yesterday. I never even opened my backpack to take it out until this morning, but it is gone. Fantastic.

I don't have too much to say. I'm going to my grandma's after school today. She has internet for me to use. Thank god.

Fabrunette

Full Squid
NNID
Fabrunette
Switch Friend Code
SW-8140-7460-1544
As for when i have these questions and stuff that need a bigger explaination i do prefer the forums over a dumb discord server where you get flooded by notifications. I dislike discord, I cant seem to get rid of every notification i have. Its annoying.

NostalgicNeko

Mmmmm.....Check Please!
NNID
Cheesezwheel
Switch Friend Code
SW-5457-1578-2981
It's sad that this site is dead. Rest in peace.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Godspeed, Squidboards. I look forward to a potential revival with Splat 3's release.

This board has done right by me. I've met tons and tons of people here, including some very close friends. I uh, kinda was the most active poster here as the "members" page will reveal, haha. There's been headaches like any social forum, but I'm never going to forget this place.

My only real regret is that it also serves as an archive of the days when I was way, way more hotheaded :oops: For example, you, Salamander King. We butted heads in the past, and sorry if there's any hard feelings at all lingering from that. I mean, not likely because it's been eons, but it's the right thing to say. Glad to hear you've been well, aside from not being able to play - American ISPs are the absolute worst.

The above goes for anyone else reading this as well.

Like everyone else, I've moved to Discord. I mostly hang out with the lovely folks in my own private server. Speaking of, if anyone is interested in hanging out somewhere named Dorkus Prime, let me know :p I'm always interested in meeting cool new people. That are dorks.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Godspeed, Squidboards. I look forward to a potential revival with Splat 3's release.

This board has done right by me. I've met tons and tons of people here, including some very close friends. I uh, kinda was the most active poster here as the "members" page will reveal, haha. There's been headaches like any social forum, but I'm never going to forget this place.

My only real regret is that it also serves as an archive of the days when I was way, way more hotheaded :oops: For example, you, Salamander King. We butted heads in the past, and sorry if there's any hard feelings at all lingering from that. I mean, not likely because it's been eons, but it's the right thing to say. Glad to hear you've been well, aside from not being able to play - American ISPs are the absolute worst.

The above goes for anyone else reading this as well.

Like everyone else, I've moved to Discord. I mostly hang out with the lovely folks in my own private server. Speaking of, if anyone is interested in hanging out somewhere named Dorkus Prime, let me know :p I'm always interested in meeting cool new people. That are dorks.
No hard feelings dude. I was a lot more aggressive back a few years ago as well, and there were some arguments I probably shouldn't have gotten in, looking back at it.

Which means you were DEFINITELY above us. Hello from "Casual Ink" *heh*
Oh yeah, I was sitting near you for a while! Hello from Squidlett Overdrive!

It's sad that this site is dead. Rest in peace.
Yes, RIP indeed.
I see that you bought premium, despite only being on the site for like a week, and it being dead. May I ask why?

I remember when this site was really active, around S2's launch, I almost bought premium. I'm glad I didn't since it doesn't offer much anymore, But even then I still would have liked to support the devs when they were taking care of the site.

Last edited:

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
"The summers gone, the years have passed,
My friends have changed, a few did last,
The smallest dreams got pushed aside,
The largest ones that changed my life,
And all I wish for was come to past
From rock and roll, to love and cash
It's all success if it's what you need
Do what you like and do it honestly"
-Angels & Airwaves, Rite of Spring

87 days since last Squidboards notification.

This lyric from Alt. Rock band Angels & Airwaves has stuck with me recently, and I couldn't figure out why. That is until I checked good old Squidboards for the first time in a while and it dawned on me. It near-perfectly describes my Splatoon "career". How I picked up the game 4 years ago, my dreams of becoming one of the greatest players in the world, the friends I've made along the journey, and the continued love that I have for this game. The largest difference between the song and "my Splatoon" is that Tom Delonge (lead singer of Angels & Airwaves/Blink-182) has already completed his dream. He's made it. I have not. I am still working on the same goals I started 4 years ago. Was I too ambitious? Were my dreams too lofty?

I sure hope not.

Please stay, don't go, I got you now. Are you curious?

Last edited:

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Kind of a necro but pretty sure no one gives a **** anymore. This site died ages ago to me lol like it hasn’t been a good discussion place since like 2016, but despite that idk i still visit sometimes. just reminds me of better times. even if i wasnt the best person on here, and despite the other awful ****ters on this site i dont regret any of it, just cause it taught me “valuable experiences” or whatever. dont know anymore, doesn’t matter. see ya squidboards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom