• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The future of Splatoon.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
As of late, the forum has been... inactive to say the least. The game received it's last content patch a few months ago so I've been wondering what the series' future will look like, I know a Splatoon 3 is inevitable and many people still play Splatoon 2 but...

So! Anyone have any thoughts about the future? Splatoon 3 ideas, spinoffs, anything? I'd love to discuss it!

Chilly_Blu

SRL Intern
Switch Friend Code
SW-0051-2661-0160
I'd love for there to be a splatoon 3! What I would like out of it would be some more customizable options, and a new single player plot.

Cephalobro

More friendly Octarians walking around Inkopolis, excluding Octolings because they are already integrated into its society. I just need to see some living tentacles living in Inkopolis.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
More friendly Octarians walking around Inkopolis, excluding Octolings because they are already integrated into its society. I just need to see some living tentacles living in Inkopolis.
That's an interesting idea! Although I doubt Inkling society would be all that accepting, it could lead to a cool story mode!

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
I'd love for there to be a splatoon 3! What I would like out of it would be some more customizable options, and a new single player plot.
In terms of customization, I personally would like some more hairstyles and an option to equip a second set of gear for cosmetics sake. What about you?

Cephalobro

That's an interesting idea! Although I doubt Inkling society would be all that accepting, it could lead to a cool story mode!
The current Inkling society is already all-accepting as they don't care about the appearance of whoever comes into their city, plus Inklings don't know Octolings are Octarians and instead think they are Inklings with different hair. This is evidenced by the fact that Pearl didn't know Marina was an Octoling but she still supported her after finding out.

Last edited:

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
I'm really interested how the new single player mode will be like, considering that octolings are welcome in Inkopolis already, and even the idea of fighting the remains of human race was already touched upon. I hope the game will be functional without an app, and that it won't have voice chat, as Nintendo has a talent at failing at implementing it in a sane way.

Another thing that I'm really interested in is whether Splatoon 3 will come out on a new system from Nintendo. Considering that a 2021 release date is thrown around in the game, it could coincide with a new system, or at least a revised Switch, although former sounds more appealing, as it gives a chance to resolve input lag issues. I hope performance will be a major focus (hoping for locked 120 FPS in next get Splatoon, where Splatoon 2 struggles to stay at 60, as that seems to be the trend of the upcoming generation).

I hope the game will not have any microtransactions, and if any DLC is released, it's as substantial as the Octo Expansion.

Sir Ngyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Simple234
We’ve had 2 mainline games, an appearance in Smash, and a carp-ton of merchandise. If you ask me, I think the IP is due for a spin-off.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
The current Inkling society is already all-accepting as they don't care about the appearance of whoever comes into their city, plus Inklings don't know Octolings are Octarians and instead think they are Inklings with different hair. This is evidenced by the fact that Pearl didn't know Marina was an Octoling but she still supported her after finding out.
You may be right, though Octolings are thought of as exotic inklings so who knows?

Cephalobro

You may be right, though Octolings are thought of as exotic inklings so who knows?
Something I forgot to mention, the current Octarians don't have that hatred against Inklings, contrary to popular belief. It's only DJ Octavio who is still uptight about the whole ordeal. In fact, both final battles against Octavio are thought to be concerts of some kind by the Octarians who watched them. So it's really just the gramps of both species who are still at each other while the current generation of both are pretty much cool with each other.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm really interested how the new single player mode will be like, considering that octolings are welcome in Inkopolis already, and even the idea of fighting the remains of human race was already touched upon. I hope the game will be functional without an app, and that it won't have voice chat, as Nintendo has a talent at failing at implementing it in a sane way.

Another thing that I'm really interested in is whether Splatoon 3 will come out on a new system from Nintendo. Considering that a 2021 release date is thrown around in the game, it could coincide with a new system, or at least a revised Switch, although former sounds more appealing, as it gives a chance to resolve input lag issues. I hope performance will be a major focus (hoping for locked 120 FPS in next get Splatoon, where Splatoon 2 struggles to stay at 60, as that seems to be the trend of the upcoming generation).

I hope the game will not have any microtransactions, and if any DLC is released, it's as substantial as the Octo Expansion.
I believe Nintendo intends to keep the Switch around as long as possible, so a sequel would likely remain on the Switch. Sadly, I doubt Nintendo can boost the tips.

Splatoon DLC is fine as long as Nintendo doesn't give us an exclusive weapon that isn't just a reskin. It could also focus on different aspects of the Splatoon world.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
Something I forgot to mention, the current Octarians don't have that hatred against Inklings, contrary to popular belief. It's only DJ Octavio who is still uptight about the whole ordeal. In fact, both final battles against Octavio are thought to be concerts of some kind by the Octarians who watched them. So it's really just the gramps of both species who are still at each other.
Huh fair point, I didn't think about that, it makes sense I guess. That sort of explains the Hypnoshades on the octolings.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
We’ve had 2 mainline games, an appearance in Smash, and a carp-ton of merchandise. If you ask me, I think the IP is due for a spin-off.
A spin-off would be great! I hope they make a platformer! I wish more merch was available outside of japan, it would make a krilling overseas.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
Sadly, I doubt Nintendo can boost the tips.
Definitely not on the Switch, as it's video output is capped at 1080p60. They could dial back graphics and optimize things to ensure there are no framerate drops whatsooever, playing (especially clam blitz) on New Albacore Hotel is painful with all of these stutters.

I'm hoping Nintendo will step it up, as it seems to be the only company that takes framerates and their stability seriously, and that they will follow the trend of high refresh rate support like other companies are announcing. 2021 is pretty much the last moment it makes sense to announce new hardware, as 5 years is what I'd call the maximum sane life span of a system, especially with Switch and it's weak CPU. I'm fine with potato resolutions and image quality so long as I get that information to my eyes. High refresh rates can change your play style significantly, as a quick flick of the camera becomes enough to scout the area, where 60 FPS is a slide show that doesn't let you catch important detail.

Cephalobro

It's very unlikely that Nintendo will announce a new system since they are doing so well with the Switch currently in terms of sales. That's basically the reason why they kept making games for the 3DS even after the Switch came out before finally ending support for the 3DS. However, I do hope that when they make their new system, they find a way to fix the drift issue because having new Joy-cons drift within a month is really annoying.

I would be fine with a spin-off for Splatoon so long as it would have these basic things included:

Allowing us to choose the appearance of all past player characters if they make an appearance in the story.

It focuses on the lore and worldbuilding. More specifically, explaining the confusing parts of the lore we have at the current moment.

It doesn't leave any loose ends at the end of the story.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
It's very unlikely that Nintendo will announce a new system since they are doing so well with the Switch currently in terms of sales.
The hardware in Switch was dated when it was first released, and a new Switch is basically a must at this point. Also, the system is closing to that perfect 5 year life span. I'm fine with new releases, but I hope Nintendo makes sure to have something new (and get rid of joycons, as they are the worst first party controller of all time, consider stealing the idea of Hori's replacement Joycons similar to a split pro controller).

The notion of a system designed to run games at 120 FPS is just too appealing to me, and I would really want to see a new Splatoon game that is focused on even faster pace gameplay.

Cephalobro

The hardware in Switch was dated when it was first released, and a new Switch is basically a must at this point. Also, the system is closing to that perfect 5 year life span. I'm fine with new releases, but I hope Nintendo makes sure to have something new (and get rid of joycons, as they are the worst first party controller of all time, consider stealing the idea of Hori's replacement Joycons similar to a split pro controller).

The notion of a system designed to run games at 120 FPS is just too appealing to me, and I would really want to see a new Splatoon game that is focused on even faster pace gameplay.
The problem with the Joy-con drift isn't the dirt and grime that gets under the joystick rubber, it's actually the sensor material being softer than metal, as such, the part that makes a contact being metal, it scrapes that part, leaving the sensor all dusty. I don't know if this is a good explanation, but Spawn Wave, a You Tuber who is known to open video-game consoles and accessories to look at the inner-workings of them basically confirms it's not 100% dirt and grime that does that.

banyochan

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6259-3813-8693
The problem with the Joy-con drift isn't the dirt and grime that gets under the joystick rubber, it's actually the sensor material being softer than metal, as such, the part that makes a contact being metal, it scrapes that part, leaving the sensor all dusty. I don't know if this is a good explanation, but Spawn Wave, a You Tuber who is known to open video-game consoles and accessories to look at the inner-workings of them basically confirms it's not 100% dirt and grime that does that.
Joycon drift isn't something I even ran into, my problems with Joycons are completely unrelated to it. I dislike their design, as it doesn't seem to be taking the human hand into account in any way, and sticks to the idea of doubling as a two player controller too hard. I'd call these the ultimate parental controls, as long play sessions are impossible with these, as pretty much everyone complains that they get uncomfortable quite quickly. The button placement is a joke, and looks like a logical continuation of what's worst about Microsoft's controllers, and the feel of them makes no sense. Trying to press something like B + X (super easy to do on the pro controller) is basically impossible. Buttons on controllers are supposed to be mushy, yet these feel like cheap metal domes that are about to break. Sticks are too tiny to be comfortable, my thumbs slip off them no matter what, and it's way too easy to press them in. The - button is basically impossible to press in a comfortable way. They are a gimmick that goes too far with it's idea, and fail to deliver decent controls. My hands aren't even big, I just have long fingers.

Cephalobro

Joycon drift isn't something I even ran into, my problems with Joycons are completely unrelated to it. I dislike their design, as it doesn't seem to be taking the human hand into account in any way, and sticks to the idea of doubling as a two player controller too hard. I'd call these the ultimate parental controls, as long play sessions are impossible with these, as pretty much everyone complains that they get uncomfortable quite quickly. The button placement is a joke, and looks like a logical continuation of what's worst about Microsoft's controllers, and the feel of them makes no sense. Trying to press something like B + X (super easy to do on the pro controller) is basically impossible. Buttons on controllers are supposed to be mushy, yet these feel like cheap metal domes that are about to break. Sticks are too tiny to be comfortable, my thumbs slip off them no matter what, and it's way too easy to press them in. The - button is basically impossible to press in a comfortable way. They are a gimmick that goes too far with it's idea, and fail to deliver decent controls. My hands aren't even big, I just have long fingers.
To me, the Joycons are fine, but needs some work. My fingers are bony, so I don't need bigger buttons. I don't get uncomfortable at all from them like I get when I play with my 3DS, plus the Joystick rubber doesn't fall off like the 3DS one does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom