• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Game feels ruined for casuals

Nukester

Inkling
For those of us that just like to INK, a lot of us have quit playing. There needs to be a new mode where weapons do less damage and very short range. As it is now, the game play is simply terrible. Use to love this game, but now it is just about killing. Way too competitive for those that like to just INK. Splatoon 1 was much better in this respect.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I do like your idea about a new mode mostly focused on painting (besides Turf War) but one of the best uses for turf war is testing out new weapons, so nerfing them all into Aerosprays isn't only boring for people because they would all be nearly identical in function, but also nearly useless for competitive players (which I suppose is what you want).

Here's the problem with separating the casual and competitive communities:

1. People want the world to take Splatoon seriously as an esport, so permanently separating the communities makes it 2x more difficult.
2. If the 2 were as separate as you seem to want, it would be extremely difficult to get into competitive. The casuals would look at the big players as if they were tryhards that live in their mom's basement, and the competitive side would look down on the casuals like bugs.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Nukester Weird. this the first complaint I've noticed in a while regarding turf war difficulty, let alone for splat2.

I have not really looked into/heard anything regarding splat2 lobby making, but in splat 1, they did a pretty good job of separating players based on play-style(roughly)
-My friends who played predominately turf wars and went for the ink and run tactics were put into relatively chill lobbies (low overall splat count)
-I would get very tryhard lobbies: heavy rush and hold mid like it was a splat zone, ink spawn little by little each time you respawned on your way back to the action, kinda lobbies.

I've since assumed splat2 works of a similar, if not the very same kind of lobby making, since this is the first complaint I've seen or heard like this (all the complaints have been lobby wait times, regional only, that sort of stuff).

My guesses would be
-you have the misfortune of jumping into queue the same time of day as a lot of competitive squids with very few casual squids
-lobbymaking has been changed (maybe focuses more on weapons/team comp than splat and turf count)
-lobbymaker just hates you (not a joke, it is a possibility. I used to to try SO HARD to get squid parties started back in splat 1, rarely happened. Meanwhile, @Dessgeega was plagued by never-ending squid party lobbies. No matter the algorithm/science/hoodoo magic they put on lobby making, some rng always seems to be present.)

Last edited:

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
Hehehe. Blame people like me that use turf war to sharpen up on our Competitive Skills but don't want to hop right into solo ranked quite yet. :) Or maybe we are working on a new weapon and want to see how many splats we can rack up with it.

I'll try to play turf war more casually. I don't want to see tournament players like me ruin your day in a Turf War. :P :)

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
Pretty much what Green Waffles just said. I do remember (quite fondly) Splat1 would match you based on your play style. I want to say it seems like Splat2 uses a Splatfest type power level system for Turf, just...without showing you your power level for some reason.

The reason I say this is because it's been my experience thus far to get into a lobby, have a great old time doing my thing as a Filthy Casual...and then all of a sudden it's like I've been tossed into S+ Hell. I then just have to roll with it and lose my way back down to where it's at least a challenge to win instead of my team being curbstomped. Much like Splatfest, hence the guess as to how the matchmaker does things.

What I can't explain is why everyone over level 40 will be on the same team, or all the lowbies will be on the same team, or the other guys will all be S+9000 or whatever. Weapon comp doesn't seem to have anything to do with it really.

Splat's gonna do what Splat's gonna do. My advice is just keep lobby-hopping till you find a decent bunch of randos to play with. They're out there; it does depend somewhat on time of day or time of week, as well. You're inevitably going to find more competitive play styles the week before Splatfest.

Timthegamer12

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5989-7332-3102
@Nukester Weird. this the first complaint I've noticed in a while regarding turf war difficulty, let alone for splat2.

I have not really looked into/heard anything regarding splat2 lobby making, but in splat 1, they did a pretty good job of separating players based on play-style(roughly)
-My friends who played predominately turf wars and went for the ink and run tactics were put into relatively chill lobbies (low overall splat count)
-I would get very tryhard lobbies: heavy rush and hold mid like it was a splat zone, ink spawn little by little each time you respawned on your way back to the action, kinda lobbies.

I've since assumed splat2 works of a similar, if not the very same kind of lobby making, since this is the first complaint I've seen or heard like this (all the complaints have been lobby wait times, regional only, that sort of stuff).

My guesses would be
-you have the misfortune of jumping into queue the same time of day as a lot of competitive squids with very few casual squids
-lobbymaking has been changed (maybe focuses more on weapons/team comp than splat and turf count)
-lobbymaker just hates you (not a joke, it is a possibility. I used to to try SO HARD to get squid parties started back in splat 1, rarely happened. Meanwhile, @Dessgeega was plagued by never-ending squid party lobbies. No matter the algorithm/science/hoodoo magic they put on lobby making, some rng always seems to be present.)
I agree totally with you. Even though im nee to the game and almost level 20. I have alot learn also hello everyone! I'm new here.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Pretty much what Green Waffles just said. I do remember (quite fondly) Splat1 would match you based on your play style. I want to say it seems like Splat2 uses a Splatfest type power level system for Turf, just...without showing you your power level for some reason.
That's my experience, too. When I get on a good win streak, I start finding myself the best player on the losing team a whole lot, and the other team is always hyper-aggressive murder machines. Then after a few losses, I'll start getting placed on solid teams and my opponents will include people who shoot in my direction and never hit me, or ones who I can casually walk up to and splat because they have no awareness. Turf Wars was a lot less frustrating in Splatoon 1; even when I lost badly, it was against players who were doing more or less the same thing as me, just better.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I do agree that there seems to be a difference on how Turf War is going about in Splatoon 2. In the first game, you'd stumble into lobbies where everything was going slowly and chill. But most often in Sp2 turf battles, you'll feel after a few seconds that these guys are not kidding around.

To me, there seems to be two extrema. The first, most common lobbies are the ones I described above: Tough battles, players taking it very seriously, sharpening their skills and working on their gear or other stats (money, exp. and so on). Naturally, they will go for the win.
And I suspect there lies the difference to the prequel: Now that you can use tickets and grind perfect gear or money, people will look to win more persistently because a win makes better use of the ticket. I must admit, I am guilty of doing this too. I grind gear in turf and I actually like that most oftenly, I find lobbies with people who really try.

What really annoys me is the second extrema, the (fortunately) scarce lobbies with the people who really just joke around, doing silly squidparties and what not. I do the most logic thing then: I super jump into the middle of the squidparty to a partaking teammate and then splashdown, wiping them all. And then I laugh and leave the lobby post batte. It's the only thing that helps me get over them trying to ruin the battle and waste my drink tickets. :p

Nukester

Inkling
All, thanks for the replies, it does sort of jibe with my feeling that Splat2 is generally more difficult. Since the game was probably written by Japanese, they are much more competitive than casual.

I guess I should just "suck" for a while to get in with groups more to my liking? I miss playing, but not when it just isn't any fun. Daughter and I quit playing early December, because we weren't having fun. Christmas was the first spatfest we have ever missed, we just didn't feel like playing with all of the ranked players anymore.

Would it pay off to just say "heck with the level" and just start fresh with a new toon, level 1, and just ink?

Slushious

Token Party Squid
NNID
Setsu-P
Switch Friend Code
SW-3439-5127-4993
All, thanks for the replies, it does sort of jibe with my feeling that Splat2 is generally more difficult. Since the game was probably written by Japanese, they are much more competitive than casual.

I guess I should just "suck" for a while to get in with groups more to my liking? I miss playing, but not when it just isn't any fun. Daughter and I quit playing early December, because we weren't having fun. Christmas was the first spatfest we have ever missed, we just didn't feel like playing with all of the ranked players anymore.

Would it pay off to just say "heck with the level" and just start fresh with a new toon, level 1, and just ink?
Honestly, my suggestion would be to hunt for a casual player group - we have a few around here. Once you have some friends, it's a lot more fun to jump in and play with them. I myself can accept even a crushing defeat if it comes at the hands of someone I actually know, rather than some total rando. At that point it's still all in good fun and not necessarily mean-spiritedness.

On that note, you're welcome to add my friend code if you'd like. My hours are erratic and usually too late-night for most people, but I do play about once or twice a week.

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
Unrepentant baggers get the bans they deserve :D
You know, I really wonder if Nintendo actually bans people. I typically squidbag and most of the time I see others do it too.

I'm highly doubtful banning people for spamming ZL is on Nintendo's priorities list.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You know, I really wonder if Nintendo actually bans people. I typically squidbag and most of the time I see others do it too.

I'm highly doubtful banning people for spamming ZL is on Nintendo's priorities list.
There's been reports of it happening, enough for me to believe it. And if you're a chronic squidbagger you're setting yourself up for trouble... if nothing else, I guarantee quite a few people here won't want to play with you :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom