• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 The Gold Dynamo Roller could be broken

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
The Gold Dynamo roller was released yesterday alongside BlackBelly Skatepark, I used the weapon for 2 1/2 hours and was absolutely destroying everyone. I lost a lot of matches too but I had the majority splats in general. The Splat bombs are really useful; also it only requires 200p for the Ink Amor which really isn't bad for something like this :P

So what do you think? Could this be broken?

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I haven't tried it out yet. I do think that it has a better kit than the original's Troll Mines, but I do like that they place a sensor on the target that activates them. But the new one's kit does look more promising. I'll have to try it myself and see what I think. If I can pull myself away from Mario's great journey for a bit.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
I haven't tried it out yet. I do think that it has a better kit than the original's Troll Mines, but I do like that they place a sensor on the target that activates them. But the new one's kit does look more promising. I'll have to try it myself and see what I think. If I can pull myself away from Mario's great journey for a bit.
Just keep your distance, and you'll be raising splats in no time :p

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I've been using it quite a bit. I don't think it's broken. There's been quite a few frustrating moments (especially when THAT GUY ON THE TOWER SHOULD HAVE DIED) but I did absolutely the best on blackbelly (I've only played this map on tower) pushing the tower with those narrow areas. I usually end with average to above average in splats on my team. It's just unusual to have a dynamo that's at least somewhat good again. There have been complaints that the dynamo was basically trash but now the weapon stands much more of a chance. Every weapon can perform amazingly, just some easier than others and this one is easier. However there are a lot of shooters and other weapons that are much easier than the dynamo, like the amazing kit for the splattershot.

dashiee-chan

Inkling
NNID
dashieepants
As a Dynamo main since the beginning, I don't think its broken, its just a very powerful weapon!! >: )
S2 Gold's kit is about as close as we'll ever get to the Vanilla Dynamo in S1. ( which was perfect by the way! xP )
I like it more than S2's Vanilla because with the Armor you can 'support' your team the same way that Echo in S1 would benefit everyone.
The Stingray is cool, but is pretty tricky to support the team with.
Not sure how I feel about the Bombs though. I kinda did like the mines. : )

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I will agree that the Gold Dynamo's kit is better than the vanilla's, even if I do like the Troll Mines. I still can't get down with the main weapon's slow swing speed though. In the first game, the slow speed was to make up for the idea that it was a very powerful weapon at a decent range. Without some of that power backing things up in this game, I feel as though there are better ranged options. Like the Ink Armor though. That's always welcome!

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
Rollers are my weakness so of course I'd consider them broken. I also main them so I know exactly how you feel. The kill count with that weapon is insane.

dashiee-chan

Inkling
NNID
dashieepants
I will agree that the Gold Dynamo's kit is better than the vanilla's, even if I do like the Troll Mines. I still can't get down with the main weapon's slow swing speed though. In the first game, the slow speed was to make up for the idea that it was a very powerful weapon at a decent range. Without some of that power backing things up in this game, I feel as though there are better ranged options. Like the Ink Armor though. That's always welcome!
Couldn't agree more.
The nerf rollers got at the end of S1 and now in 2 where the 1-hit kill range is a lot more narrow was maybe necessary for things like the Krak-on (who shouldn't get a free kill because their flick comes out in .002 seconds) but really hurt the Dynamo's viability.

It takes a lot of predicting and time management to get those splats, especially in a higher rank with better opponents!!
I'm not against the slow wind-up time but when you also bring down the damage that makes the King of all Rollers™ so strong just ends up not worth it compared to the other ranged options. :' (

Despite all its problems I'm in too deep to quit using it now! : P
I hope the Splatoon team keeps giving us those sweet buffs!

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Every weapon can perform amazingly, just some easier than others and this one is easier. However there are a lot of shooters and other weapons that are much easier than the dynamo, like the amazing kit for the splattershot.
Tentabrella can't perform amazingly, no matter how good you are.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
As a Custom Jet Squelcher main, Dynamos are VERY easy to kill. They're slow and don't kill fast, exactly what Jet needs to get an easy kill.

AA Battery

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunshinett
This was a fun weapon to play with, and just as everyone else said, I found it to be rather powerful. :)

I did find it to be the most ink-hungry weapon ever, just like in Splatoon 1. I mean, the main weapon uses up the ink tank in a couple of swings (I believe five?), and the Splat Bombs uses up 70% of the ink tank. So it’s definitely not a weapon you can be careless with, even with Ink Armor.

As a Custom Jet Squelcher main, Dynamos are VERY easy to kill. They're slow and don't kill fast, exactly what Jet needs to get an easy kill.
The Dynamo’s flick takes a while, and the slower movement speed does make it a bit of a sitting duck against linger ranged weapons. I was picked off by Jet Squelchers, Splattershot Pros, and Rapid Blasters on a few careless occasions, so I definitely agree. Plus Splat Bombs are expensive, so you may not have enough ink to scare attackers away with one.

But then again, I always find myself harassed by Jet Squelchers...

Last edited:

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Couldn't agree more.
The nerf rollers got at the end of S1 and now in 2 where the 1-hit kill range is a lot more narrow was maybe necessary for things like the Krak-on (who shouldn't get a free kill because their flick comes out in .002 seconds) but really hurt the Dynamo's viability.

It takes a lot of predicting and time management to get those splats, especially in a higher rank with better opponents!!
I'm not against the slow wind-up time but when you also bring down the damage that makes the King of all Rollers™ so strong just ends up not worth it compared to the other ranged options. :' (
Basically this. It sums up my feelings on the Dynamo quite nicely. It needs to have a widened effective range to be useful otherwise it will continue to see the problems that it continues to have now. As much as i like the Gold's kit, there is still a main weapon there and even a beautiful kit can't make up for the rotted husk that is the modern Dynamo Roller.

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
Basically this. It sums up my feelings on the Dynamo quite nicely. It needs to have a widened effective range to be useful otherwise it will continue to see the problems that it continues to have now. As much as i like the Gold's kit, there is still a main weapon there and even a beautiful kit can't make up for the rotted husk that is the modern Dynamo Roller.
See, this is the reason why I use the dynamo roller. I don't want to be considered that person using a blaster or a weapon requiring no skill to win; I use weapons that are actually respected.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Zak98 Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Dynamo Roller at all. I just think that it needs some help. It's a bit of a falsehood to say that the Dynamo is a weapon that earns you respect for using any more than you would get lambasted for using a Sploosh-o-Matic. In my expereince, I get splatted by a Sploosh and my typical response are a string of dirty words that I would get kicked off of Squidboards for saying. Think George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words sketch for more information. I get splatted by a Dynamo and I think to myself, "Well, I fell stupid."

Again, I mean no disrespect, but the Dynamo's presence on the battlefield commands much less fear than it did in the days of S1. Back then, the Dynamo was respected and feared! In this day in S2, the Dynamo is met with more surprise than respect. Do I respect you for wanting to use it despite the waning popularity and usage? Sure. I've said it before, but if you can use the weapon effectively then my hat's off to you. But hte weapon itself bears no matter of increased respect.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Back then, the Dynamo was respected and feared
Wasn't it more like, called out for being a braindead OP weapon even after the nerf? I do agree that back in S1, seeing the Dynamo's flick was an equivalent to seeing your whole life flashing before your eyes before your inkoming demise, that's for sure. But I haven't really seen as much respect as I've seen hate. Similar to E-Liters, though those had a higher skill floor even with the broken dmg-up trait, so that earned them a side of sal- respect I guess. It varies on who I ask, I'm sure.

I agree with Dark Sage Walker's notion though. Using off-meta weapons, as I call them, won't earn you the respect you're expecting. If anything, expect your stranger teammates to groan at the sight of you, regardless of your ability to salvage the weapon to similar efficiency as a Sploosh or Splattershot, just because from experience, people with these weapons aren't exactly the top of the crop. Back in the day when the meta was built around E-Liters, seeing an E-Liter today translates to "duck, if he's one of the 90% of E-Liters, we're done for.", add one more of 'em to the mix and things look grim, in their minds. Props to you if you can use the Dynamo well enough to support your team the way it needs, but it doesn't make Splattershot mains worse players for going with an "easier" weapon in the current meta. That's weaponist, y'know. c:

Last edited:

Zak98

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Virgenmedia66666
Switch Friend Code
SW-6728-0895-4580
@Zak98 Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the Dynamo Roller at all. I just think that it needs some help. It's a bit of a falsehood to say that the Dynamo is a weapon that earns you respect for using any more than you would get lambasted for using a Sploosh-o-Matic. In my expereince, I get splatted by a Sploosh and my typical response are a string of dirty words that I would get kicked off of Squidboards for saying. Think George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words sketch for more information. I get splatted by a Dynamo and I think to myself, "Well, I fell stupid."

Again, I mean no disrespect, but the Dynamo's presence on the battlefield commands much less fear than it did in the days of S1. Back then, the Dynamo was respected and feared! In this day in S2, the Dynamo is met with more surprise than respect. Do I respect you for wanting to use it despite the waning popularity and usage? Sure. I've said it before, but if you can use the weapon effectively then my hat's off to you. But hte weapon itself bears no matter of increased respect.
I can use the weapon effectively since I know how to use the right gear, I've also just invested a lot of time with the dynamo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom