• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

THE HARD DATA: Guns, Subs, Specials, and Abilities - Range, DPS, and more

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bgcQxHCY-g3KXoGf2rnYExium9qeELagu3mF6AjoU4g/edit?usp=sharing

Sections:
  1. Guns - gun stats, rankings, etc
  2. Subs - sub stats, notes
  3. Specials - special stats, notes
  4. Charts - Comparisons of key gun stats, like Range vs. Time to Kill
  5. Abilities - WIP, all ability % gains and notes here
  6. Damage+ and Defense+ - a quick glance to the effect of these abilities on gun damage, and the implications
Please read the initial Notes on the "Guns" tab for more details. If you didn't know, you can find the section tabs at the bottom :). A sneak peek:

This took a ton of time, but was a blast to make! Let me know what you think, and what conclusions you come up with; I'm sure the community can take this and do so much more with it all.

I will need help with data for Abilities - let me know if you're up for it! Thanks all :)

Last edited:

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
This is so all-encompassing. Thank you very much for your hard work! It's Interesting how these conflict with the DPS table from before; I'm more inclined to believe these values are correct though.

also, a small request: can you add in "charge time" for the charger weapons?

w00se

Inkster Jr.
NNID
w00sey
Your KO Time is way off. It looks like you are trying to calculate KO time through DPS rather than shots to kill. This ends up making it look like things like the aerospray can kill faster than the splattershot but since you can't fire 4.09 shots and have to fire a full 5 the time to kill is actually higher while things like the blaster are off in the other direction since you don't have to ever fire a second shot to get the kill it doesn't take anywhere near the time you listed to kill with the gun. The .52 gal, blaster, and splattershot currently have the 3 fastest times to kill. The aerospray actually has a pretty crappy time to kill compared to many of the other shooters. Don't worry though, the rapid blaster still has a horrible time to kill for a shooter actually taking longer than you listed.

This thread (stickied to the top of this forum) goes more into it if you are interested.
http://squidboards.com/threads/definitive-dps-rankings-for-every-weapon-variation.2023/

Also curious about the walk speed while firing. What units are those numbers in? It clearly isn't something like distance over time since they are getting worse as they get larger so I am slightly confused. They do seem to line up fairly well proportionally to the testing I have done in distance per second but I don't quite understand the metric you are using.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
@w00se, nice catch on the Time to Kill. You're right, that was a derivative formula from DPS, my fault for not thinking that through. Stats updated.

Also just didn't get to explain walk speed while firing, but as I started writing the explanation, I realized the data could be made more palatable. Fixed that as well, it's now in seconds it takes to walk 1 white line in the firing range.

@Marraphy updating with charge times as we speak :)

Working on XY chart comparisons now, initial example below for automatics (not happy with formatting yet). Anyone have specific requests for comparisons they'd like to see?

Last edited:

w00se

Inkster Jr.
NNID
w00sey
Also just didn't get to explain walk speed while firing, but as I started typing I realized the data could be more palatable. Fixed that too, it's now in seconds of how long it takes to walk 1 white line in the firing range.
Ah, I see. I always see time speed as distance over time like miles per hour or meters per second. It makes sense now why they looked so backwards to me being in time over distance. Not wrong, just an odd format to choose.

A side thought to help things be more easily understandable establishing a metric for range can help. Being an old Marathon map maker I tend to default to WU (World Unit) for games that don't have a proper establishment for distance such as meters. This way if somebody does some analysis of measure through something like well if Judd is an average housecat height then it would make him 1.5 feet tall standing on his hind legs and the inklings are this proportion blah blah blah it doesn't mess up your calculations. It also means different metrics are more easily put together like speed in WU/sec (or sec/WU as you currently have it), coverage in WU^2/sec, range in WU, etc so that people can more easily look at a number and say ok, if they are holding down the trigger on a splattershot jr and I am moving backwords in squid it would take x seconds to get out of range. This is just a slight usability critique so that we don't have to talk about range in terms of "the distance between two lines in the gun test area" even though they would be effectively the same metric. Pretty much just makes it easier to label everything.

Other than that it is probably the best looking sheet to be able to glance at and discern information and relative comparisons between different weapons. Looks a hell of a lot better than the one DNE and I have been making which hasn't been put out to the public since neither of us have a high end capture card so precision timing can be a challenge and instead has to be done over averages of a large number of tests to yield significant results.

Also saw that you are interested in ground coverage per second. This can also be done in WU if you are interested. The test fire area has good markings and is 3 WU wide (the dimension that is not lined). I have some preliminary numbers for coverage in WU^2/sec but they still need further testing. If you need any help with that (or anything else really) feel free to contact me.

Last edited:

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I personally counted 40 shots to kill on the 96gal

if you wait at all between shots in the firing range you'll regenerate ink, to the point where the 96gal is the slowest-firing weapon where it's actually possible to get shots til empty data (since all slower weapons fire so slowly that they regenerate between shots)

karamazovapy

Inkster Jr.
Apparently Damage+ can't decrease the number of shots it takes for a weapon to splat someone...makes me wonder what use it has (if any). I guess it would help if multiple teammates were scoring hits on one enemy? Still seems like a waste to me, though.

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
@flc you're right, thanks for the catch. Funny, I remember doing my calcs with 40 too. Fixed.

Ok, got some interesting stats here.

Apparently Damage+ can't decrease the number of shots it takes for a weapon to splat someone...makes me wonder what use it has (if any). I guess it would help if multiple teammates were scoring hits on one enemy? Still seems like a waste to me, though.
Just finished an evening analyzing this, and the results are fascinating. In short...you're right. BUT the why is coooool. Note: Sub Damage+ abilities stacking with Main Damage+ is not tested yet, I've rerolled several times and just fail at luck.

So first, Defense + is easy. One Main Defense+ is -5.2% damage, two -9.3%, and three -12.5%. I'll apply that to Shots to Kill by specific gun in a minute.

But during Damage+ testing, it wasn't so easy. The Shots to Kill numbers just weren't matching up; by my calculations the Splattershot Pro should happily kill in two shots with 3 Damage+'s...and it wasn't. So I tested more guns, saw yet more random %s jumping in here, and had an idea: what if damage+ gain wasn't a single variable - but might be uniquely set by the guns themselves. Turns out, that was correct.

Excuse my shorthand. Notice how almost everything is uniform, except for the highlighted red. Point: certain guns have innate rules for the Damage+ % gain. Notice how the Aerospray and Jet Squelcher especially are effected by this - preventing them from ever doing more than 24.9/33.3 damage, respectively. Why?

Easy: shots to kill. Nintendo intentionally put damage caps on certain guns - that they might never kill under a specified number of shots. For example, the Splattershot Pro should hit ~51 damage with three Damage+ abilities. However it's hard capped at 49.9 - and will always kill at three shots.

Tested with all guns and then placed on a range with Defense+, we get some fascinating facts.

Takeaways:

Defense+ is quite good. With each additional level of Defense+ added, certain guns will take one more shot to kill. To put the red highlights into words:
  • With 1 Defense+: .52 Gal. and the...Paintbrush roll (lulz)
  • With 2 Defense+: Splattershot
  • With 3 Defense+: Splattershot Jr., N-Zap '85, Dual Squelcher, and the Paintbrush swipe
2. Until I can test with Sub abilities as well, Damage+ does not reduce Shots to Kill. Hmph.

3. Damage+ technically grants higher % gain than Defense+ (9%/5.2%), but they zero each other out regardless. If the # of Damage+ perks on shooter = # Defense + on recipient, damage bonus = 0. Conclusion: Damage+ is meant less as a killing option and more as a counter to guns affected by Defense+. The .52 Gal being a great example.

4. "Where's the Charger data?" Partially done, this takes awhile. But I can tell you the main highlight now: with 3 Damage+ abilities, the E-Liter kills with a 50-55% charge of .8 seconds (faster than standard Charger), at a range just short of the full Charger's.

5. If I can get the Pro to kill in two shots oh my gawd I'll marry it

All of this is now on its own tab in the OP Google Doc. Will keep updating as I can.

Last edited:

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
N-zap and splattershot jr have the same damage and rate. How do they have different firing power?

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
Also I think a stat we also need is how much ink it can spread in a certain amount of time. I don't think there is a database for that yet

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
Also I think a stat we also need is how much ink it can spread in a certain amount of time. I don't think there is a database for that yet
Thanks for noticing the time to kill discrepancy with the N-Zap. I just didn't type in that extra .02.

If you read the notes on the Guns tab, I have that exact stat request in bold. Spent awhile researching my previous post above, and now Ground Inked per Second is next on my list.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
I did some of my own testing for these, but the timing was all by hand and not from counting frames or anything so it's all off.

However, I must point out that with 3 main Ink Saver (Sub) abilities, you cannot throw 5 Burst Bombs. So the cost per bomb is some amount above 20%. Might not be as much as 21%, but it would make sense, seeing as how the 2nd main ability reduces the cost by 1%, so I wouldn't expect the third one to provide 2% reduction due to diminishing returns.

Casperr

Full Squid
Do you know if it possible to stack 3 main abilities and then more of the same sub ability or whether it's capped at the main abilities?

Your ability damage numbers check out, but the strategy guide says defence up gives up to 120% damage reduction which makes me think it's possible to stack 3 mains + subs.

jam1garner

Inkling
NNID
jam1garner
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bgcQxHCY-g3KXoGf2rnYExium9qeELagu3mF6AjoU4g/edit?usp=sharing

Sections:
  1. Guns - gun stats, rankings, etc
  2. Subs - sub stats, notes
  3. Specials - special stats, notes
  4. Charts - Comparisons of key gun stats, like Range vs. Time to Kill
  5. Abilities - WIP, all ability % gains and notes here
  6. Damage+ and Defense+ - a quick glance to the effect of these abilities on gun damage, and the implications
Please read the initial Notes on the "Guns" tab for more details. If you didn't know, you can find the section tabs at the bottom :). A sneak peek:

This took a ton of time, but was a blast to make! Let me know what you think, and what conclusions you come up with; I'm sure the community can take this and do so much more with it all.

I will need help with data for Abilities - let me know if you're up for it! Thanks all :)
I may (once I find the time and feel like it) find the average of all the Z-scores of each stat. This would essentially give a "all around" rating of sorts. This would essential be finding the average score and standard deviation of each category, calculate the z-score for every stat, average every stat for the entire weapon. What this would show is what is the average rating of each category per weapon (after converting them to the same unit.) If you want to know exactly what I mean by this, look up these terms (since I explained this pretty bad) Standard deviation, average, and z-score. This should pretty much explain everything, but I will post my results here soon (hopefully).

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
Thanks for noticing the time to kill discrepancy with the N-Zap. I just didn't type in that extra .02.

If you read the notes on the Guns tab, I have that exact stat request in bold. Spent awhile researching my previous post above, and now Ground Inked per Second is next on my list.
so the n zap and jr do have the same KO time?

Soul Train

Full Squid
NNID
JSXian
so the n zap and jr do have the same KO time?
Same Damage and Fire Rate = same KO time, yes. Though only at optimal range for both; the zap does have slightly greater range.

Do you know if it possible to stack 3 main abilities and then more of the same sub ability or whether it's capped at the main abilities?
Been trying to figure that out for a bit here myself. I've been rerolling my Damage+ equipment and just cannot get a Damage+ sub ability...must've spent 300k by now. Sighhh. If anyone has the proper clothes for this I would much appreciate damage stats.

Also just finished an initial take on Ground Inked per Second, measured by the Points measured in a Turf War match. Note that these are a FIRST take, I need a more testing here...however I am confident in the overall shape of the data. Added some interesting charts to the appropriate tab, see one below. Note: I always format the chart so the upper-right is best. So less % of tank used per shot and more ground inked per second here is best.

Interesting findings:
  • The top few guns do pretty well cover the large majority of guns I see on Turf War.
  • Poor Blasters. The worst inking guns of the game.
  • The .96 Gal is depressingly inefficient.
  • The Splattershot Pro, while the fourth least efficient, is still very much in the main pack.
  • Despite its greater range, the Jet Squelcher doesn't actually cover much more ground per second than its faster-firing Dual Squelcher. Conclusion: use the Jet for KOs, and the Dual for inking.

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Final note: you cannot use your sub if it'll leave you with 1% of a tank left.
But if you have 3 main Ink Saver (Sub) abilities, you can throw three Point Sensors at 33% each. This doesn't leave you with enough for a single shot with the Custom Blaster, but you can shoot once with the Forge Splattershot Pro and one uncharged shot with the Squiffer.

Hm, but you have those down as 6.7%, 1.9%, and 1.8% ink per shot respectively.

Also revisiting what I said before, the Custom Jet Squelcher can only fire 10 times after throwing 4 Burst Bombs with 3 main Ink Saver (Sub) abilities. Each shot costs 1.6% ink, which matches with my 21% per bomb values (84% total, 16% remaining). If they really only cost 20% each, and the only thing preventing you from throwing a 5th is the "must have 1% remaining" rule, then you would be able to fire at least 12 times, not 10. I have no other abilities equipped.

Might just be a rounding issue.

That said, here's some even less reliable values for Quick Super Jump times:
4.17 : nothing
4.02 : 1sub
3.70 : 3sub
3.69 : 1main
3.57 : 1m1s
3.33 : 2main
3.05 : 3main
4.22 : stealth
4.11 : 1sub stealth
3.66 : 1m1s stealth
3.41 : 2m stealth

Just done by hand a couple times over with a stopwatch. I could record a 60fps video if you'd like to count frames.

I'm waiting for certain clothes to rotate in with main abilities so I can 3x Respawn and Special Saver. Might be able to do that as early as tomorrow. Just got my third Super Jump and Bomb Range Up so I could do those now, too.

Youngster Skaymore

Full Squid
NNID
EganGR
Same Damage and Fire Rate = same KO time, yes. Though only at optimal range for both; the zap does have slightly greater range.

Been trying to figure that out for a bit here myself. I've been rerolling my Damage+ equipment and just cannot get a Damage+ sub ability...must've spent 300k by now. Sighhh. If anyone has the proper clothes for this I would much appreciate damage stats.

Also just finished an initial take on Ground Inked per Second, measured by the Points measured in a Turf War match. Note that these are a FIRST take, I need a more testing here...however I am confident in the overall shape of the data. Added some interesting charts to the appropriate tab, see one below. Note: I always format the chart so the upper-right is best. So less % of tank used per shot and more ground inked per second here is best.

Interesting findings:
  • The top few guns do pretty well cover the large majority of guns I see on Turf War.
  • Poor Blasters. The worst inking guns of the game.
  • The .96 Gal is depressingly inefficient.
  • The Splattershot Pro, while the fourth least efficient, is still very much in the main pack.
  • Despite its greater range, the Jet Squelcher doesn't actually cover much more ground per second than its faster-firing Dual Squelcher. Conclusion: use the Jet for KOs, and the Dual for inking.
I think you should measure it instead in percent of tank used per second as opposed to per shot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom