• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Ink Charger Tech Club

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Since there are a ton of threads discussing certain aspects of this weapon, and no general thread for it, this was born.

Discuss anything about the Splat Charger, and its variants ( The Splatterscope and such).

For example, many people can't really seem to aim this weapon properly. There are a bunch of solutions to this like:
  • Lowering your sensitivity.
  • Changing to motion/gyro controls.
  • Aim at where a person will be, not where they are. If someone is traveling from your left to your right, just aim at your right and shoot when they get there.
  • Use CoD's way of Sniping. Put your reticle somewhere close to the enemy, then quickly flick the right control stick in the direction of the enemy. This method is difficult, so test at lower sensitivities.
  • When your reticle is close to the enemy, instead of moving the right analog stick, move the left and slowly align yourself.
  • Aim somewhere closer to the front of the legs/feet. The front of their feet is likely the next place they are going to move. The blast also has a radius (so it can kill even if not 100% full contact), and the blast you shoot should prevent your opponent from bum rushing you.
Other discussion ideas:
  • The various ink chargers and their advantages?
  • Optimal equipment?
  • Best maps for ink chargers?
  • Ink charger's role on a team?
Now discuss!!

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
  • Ink charger's role on a team?
I currently don't have the game but I can contribute. The chargers role is to maintain an area usually from a the high ground. Basically kill anyone who enters the area and maintain the area in your teams ink.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
I currently don't have the game but I can contribute. The chargers role is to maintain an area usually from a the high ground. Basically kill anyone who enters the area and maintain the area in your teams ink.
How does this change when the Squiffer is selected, which has less range?

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
How does this change when the Squiffer is selected, which has less range?
Can't really say. Like I said I haven't got the game. Less range may be a bit of a problem when sniping/splatting but the shorter charging time makes up for it.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I was about to create a thread about this, because there needs to be a place for charger players to exchange tips and tricks.

Anyways, while I don't think the charger should be classified solely as a support weapon, I think its function in a team can be partially compared to the role of a supporter in Dota 2. In that game, support players have the responsibility of harrassing the opponent(s) who are in the same lane as the support player, impeding them to get enough gold. Since the heroes are overpowered in Dota 2, an opponent hero getting too much gold usually mean your team is screwed. So supporters are essential in any balanced team, especially because what I mentioned is only one of a supporter's function in a team. In Splatoon, the charger have a similar function, which is to impend the opponents from pushing and painting areas covered by your team's ink. Your main function as a charger will be to splat and harass the opponents, while the rest of your team do most of the painting work. That means practicing to have good aim and reflexes is essential, because a charger that isn't constantly being a pain in the butts of the opponents is dead weight in a team (speaking from experience here lol), but at the same time that doesn't mean you shouldn't be painting stuff as well.

On the subject of the various different chargers, I still haven't practiced enough with all available variations, but for the role I mentioned above, the ones with more range (splat charger, splatterscope and the E-liter 3K) are the most suited ones, while the classic squiffer is better for a different role, perhaps a hybrid of a charger and splattershot pro, since you can charge faster and have enough damage to kill opponents quick, on top of having the bubble shield.

Not sure about ideal abilities, maybe someone more experienced with chargers can suggest a few ones?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Charger skills huh?

I perfer the New Squiffer, the one that charges quick and has an Inkzooka special and mines for a sub. The skills I would say are ideal are Quick Jump, Squid Speed Up, and Ink Saver Main.

Quick Jump and Squid Speed are obvious, since they aid in making escapes. Better jumping to the spawn point then getting killed, hm? Ink Saver is actually something I'd only put on the Squiffer, since you'll be putting out so many shots with the quick charge it lends to the spray and pray strategy it promotes.

Other skills I'd consider are special related skills on Chargers with good specials, Attack Ups which essentially reduces the time required to charge, and Ninja Squid for stealthyness.

Oh yeah, protip: Jumping before firing lets you shoot past lips on the platforms you're standing on.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Not sure about attack up though. If I don't already have my shot charged (or midway charged) before I'm attacked, I probably should loose.

Does quick jump decrease the time spent in the air, or the start up lag?

What is the charger's best map so far? I'd say Walleye Wearhouse since there is far less cover around. Problem with that map is if you're getting spawn camped, the charger's effectiveness exponentially decreases.
I also like the Skatepark, and sometimes the Mall (can't remember these names).

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Not sure about attack up though. If I don't already have my shot charged (or midway charged) before I'm attacked, I probably should loose.

Does quick jump decrease the time spent in the air, or the start up lag?

What is the charger's best map so far? I'd say Walleye Wearhouse since there is far less cover around. Problem with that map is if you're getting spawn camped, the charger's effectiveness exponentially decreases.
I also like the Skatepark, and sometimes the Mall (can't remember these names).
The attack up idea is mostly theoretical, but on paper being able to fire KO shots faster in situations where you're dealing with multiple opponents could mean the difference between life and death. Honestly, it's the only decent use I could come up with for attack ups.

Definitely helps with start-up lag, but I haven't timed the jump itself.

Haven't really given the maps much thought... I'd say they're pretty equal for chargers. This new map looks kinda terrible, though.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
In the new update (splatzones) the chargers are just fantastic. Since we don't have to worry about shooting ink everywhere, the chargers seem to be the most valuable.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I concur ; if you were already good with charger in turf wars ; You're gonna be a hugeeeee asset in splat zone.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I'll say. Already B- with no signs of slowing down. :D The first round of ranked with Saltspray rig was pretty heavily baised to chargers. With how hectic it is, you're either going to want a Squiffer or a ton of attack ups on something with more range. I really want to try the attack up thing but I can't find any equipment for it... The range would be nice to counter snipe.

Kento

Inkling
NNID
Kento726
I've experimented with various weapons and I kept going back to the charger and is now my main for various reasons.
In terms of turf wars chargers may not excel if you do not have a good team. I am actually excited for the friend battle to release as me and my clan mates play a lot. When pushing the opponents with the charger, it is crucial to have a team mate who can cover ground for you as mobility will be very important. The purpose of the charger is to outrange many opponents and your potential rival would be other charger users. Someone may have pointed it out already but chargers are awful to cover ground and playing it will require a lot of set up and preparation.

The playstyle should be very conservative unlike the Aerospray and splatter shot Jr. When being chased, it's best to jump onto someone or back to base due to the ease of getting cornered. You should never be in a situation where you could be surrounded and if you do, just jump back to base like I said.

As for the various types of chargers, I had many luck with the scope and bomb attachments. I chose this one over the sprinkler/killer whale set mainly because of its aggressiveness. It's difficult to be aggressive with the sprinkler found myself being cornered a lot. At least with the bombs kit there's a potential of pushing your enemy away from you. When using a charger this is what you want.

The Litre 3K? (I have the Japanese version of the game so I am not familiar with English names) the final charger you unlock have the longest range and power; however the speed and ink capacity is important when considering chargers. With fully charged shots, this charger only shoot 3 at a time which can determine your life or death. If anybody have any luck with them, I'd like to see a gameplay video. But I will release a game play video with my kit soon.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
I've experimented with various weapons and I kept going back to the charger and is now my main for various reasons.
In terms of turf wars chargers may not excel if you do not have a good team. I am actually excited for the friend battle to release as me and my clan mates play a lot. When pushing the opponents with the charger, it is crucial to have a team mate who can cover ground for you as mobility will be very important. The purpose of the charger is to outrange many opponents and your potential rival would be other charger users. Someone may have pointed it out already but chargers are awful to cover ground and playing it will require a lot of set up and preparation.

The playstyle should be very conservative unlike the Aerospray and splatter shot Jr. When being chased, it's best to jump onto someone or back to base due to the ease of getting cornered. You should never be in a situation where you could be surrounded and if you do, just jump back to base like I said.

As for the various types of chargers, I had many luck with the scope and bomb attachments. I chose this one over the sprinkler/killer whale set mainly because of its aggressiveness. It's difficult to be aggressive with the sprinkler found myself being cornered a lot. At least with the bombs kit there's a potential of pushing your enemy away from you. When using a charger this is what you want.

The Litre 3K? (I have the Japanese version of the game so I am not familiar with English names) the final charger you unlock have the longest range and power; however the speed and ink capacity is important when considering chargers. With fully charged shots, this charger only shoot 3 at a time which can determine your life or death. If anybody have any luck with them, I'd like to see a gameplay video. But I will release a game play video with my kit soon.
The E-liter 3K (NA version name) isn't something I'd use, but you can save ink and time by charging it only 3/4 of the way and it'll still OHKO. I'm going wait for a custom E-liter with better a sub and special before I try to really get into it. Like I've been saying, attack ups might be worth it on chargers so you don't need to charge as long. Ink saver is definitely a must on this thing.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
New Squiffer
has less range than the pro/squelcher/gals and has arguably worse subs & specials

good chargers that I've seen (I don't play a good charger btw) basically lock down entire areas and force the other team do attack from angles their weapons are not suited for. they can also trump weapons like the pro and gal, which is part of the reason why the squiffer seems so weak right now.

I'd like to see a good squiffer in action but the fact is that scopes are just so much better at what chargers are designed to do on zones and chargers in general are awful at turf

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
has less range than the pro/squelcher/gals and has arguably worse subs & specials

good chargers that I've seen (I don't play a good charger btw) basically lock down entire areas and force the other team do attack from angles their weapons are not suited for. they can also trump weapons like the pro and gal, which is part of the reason why the squiffer seems so weak right now.

I'd like to see a good squiffer in action but the fact is that scopes are just so much better at what chargers are designed to do on zones and chargers in general are awful at turf
The fast charge time lets it cover turf faster. Fire a charge shot right along a wall then shoot partially charged shots 90º to it while moving along the fist line. Not so good at covering small areas but it's great at covering big ones.

The shorter range isn't as big a deal as you'd think. Mostly you're supposed to surprise people or hold positions, and the later is usually about getting into a place where they have to approach you while you're prepared.

The mines aid with making escapes and defending yourself. They slow down shorter ranged weapons long enough to get shot and have interesting utility. For example, laying one while being shot at will usually result in the mine being triggered, undoing your opponent's progress. It can also be used just before death, and then your resulting splat trips the mine covering most of it. They're probably the best sub on a charger.

Special... Yeah, you got me. Good if you find yourself ambushed or you suddenly need ink, but aiming down is weird and it's terrible at covering ground.

But ultimately I don't think weapon choice is a big deal in Splatoon. The difference between the best of a class and the worst of a class isn't that big.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
I've been using the Classic Squiffer for about 2-3 days now and while I say it may not be better than the charger, its definitely not worse. Basically, you can't be as campy or lock down an area just by sitting still. Actually improving your aim and using it at midrange as a weapon has worked for me. Its also a great anti charger weapon. If they both see each other and the Squiffer is in range, the Squiffer has the advantage. Overall, its even more difficult to use than the standard charger, but if you improve your aim (or play a ton of other shooters), the Squiffer can pull off some great things.

I'd like to upload a video but without a camera or a tripod or anything, I'm not sure how that'd work out.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I've been using the E Liter 3K in ranked. So far I can lock down an area really well if there is an area to lock down, but if my team doesn't get anything in the first place, I can't help them push. Any advice?

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Well the offensive capabilities of the 3K are limited, so really, there's not much you can do but go around covering ink in some places waiting for your special ability to come online. Also, stay with your team mates because the 3k cant do much 1 vs <= 1.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
Well the offensive capabilities of the 3K are limited, so really, there's not much you can do but go around covering ink in some places waiting for your special ability to come online. Also, stay with your team mates because the 3k cant do much 1 vs <= 1.
Not if you know how to jump around and aim splat bombs. I've taken out more than my fair share of rollers and aerosprays up close with that technique.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Probably belonging to one of these cases:
1. You had the advantage,:u saw him first, high ground, or your color of ink was already all over the place.

2. You were just more skilled than ur opponent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom