• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Inkwell: A Social Thread for Competitive Inklings

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I'm wondering if certain weapons/loadouts will be "banned" from competitive matches. I play a lot of TF2 and I'm not too big into the competitive side of it, but I know that competitive players usually stick to the default weapons for some matches. I think a similar thing could happen with Splatoon.

I'd actually really love to see some matches (competitive or not) where everyone uses the same loadout. All rollers or snipers, for example. It could be hilarious.

Keep in mind killing also should have priorities too, since you slow down the opponents progress and every kill causes ink to splatter everywhere. It's also important for the sake of creating breathing room so you can actually cover territory in peace. This is why explosives and sniping weapons are even a thing.
Well said. I had this little discussion with someone not too long ago. Splatting opponents may not be the objective in the shown game modes, but it slows down their progress while speeding up your own and you obviously don't want to ignore someone and let them ink up areas you've just covered.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Its a possibility that the guy had already taken damage, and he just finished the job.

I hope the Brush is a good melee weapon, if not I may stick to the roller and its wide range.
No, the guy in the clip had no visible paint on him. When you've taken damage, you have the opposite team's paint visibly on your character. So the red pistol thing definitely splats people in one shot.

Still waiting on info for the dang Air Brush... #impatient

Mr.HawK

The Artist
No, the guy in the clip had no visible paint on him. When you've taken damage, you have the opposite team's paint visibly on your character. So the red pistol thing definitely splats people in one shot.

Still waiting on info for the dang Air Brush... #impatient
im guessing the airbrush is just a faster/smaller roller?

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
im guessing the airbrush is just a faster/smaller roller?
No, the Air Brush. Have a look here on the official site if you want to see what I'm talking about. http://splatoon.nintendo.com/

Look at the Green Inkling in the background, in the middle. That's the Air Brush. Nothing is known about it so far, but it's been speculated that it's similar to a flamethrower.

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
I don't see splatter hopping competivly viable.

It only really helps the squid move forward faster than running, but you can already teleport fast so it's (for lack of a better word) redundant.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I don't see splatter hopping competivly viable.

It only really helps the squid move forward faster than running, but you can already teleport fast so it's (for lack of a better word) redundant.
That's the point. It's faster than walking. You can't swim in ink or super jump at the beginning of a match, Splatter hopping is the fastest way to move. It can also help you travel through enemy ink with ease. What's your logic here?

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
You know, I'm thinking, even after all this time, we haven't even seen half of the weapons in this game. I knew we wouldn't see everything, but this is ridiculous

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
You know, I'm thinking, even after all this time, we haven't even seen half of the weapons in this game. I knew we wouldn't see everything, but this is ridiculous
You know. We got a Direct coming soon. Focused on Splatoon. So, you know. Maybe... just maybe!

We'll get different hair styles confirmed!

The weapons? Oh yeah, Im sure well get some of those too.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
You know. We got a Direct coming soon. Focused on Splatoon. So, you know. Maybe... just maybe!

We'll get different hair styles confirmed!

The weapons? Oh yeah, Im sure well get some of those too.
I'm hoping for some hair styles. :P If not, some other maps, game modes, weapons and accessories would be cool too. I would also like some clarification on the online features, mainly whether or not you can be in a lobby and invite friends to join you, as well as if you can have private matches for friends too.

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
That's the point. It's faster than walking. You can't swim in ink or super jump at the beginning of a match, Splatter hopping is the fastest way to move. It can also help you travel through enemy ink with ease. What's your logic here?
I agree with what you are saying, but I still think it's not extremely useful. It's only really purposeful at the start of the match.:cool:

JCOnyx

Inkling
Eh, even mid match you could use it to quickly scout out a section of the enemies ink and if you have your special filled up use it to cover a ton of ground.

I feel like diving/scouting is going to be pretty useful in this game with how well one can hide in puddles. You attract the opposing team to your somewhat vurlnerable position and have a charger support you or roller come in afterwards if the coast is clear. Blindsiding opponents seems relatively easy as well and being able to quickly traverse through enemy territory to accomplish this is extremely valuable. Splatter hopping without a doubt will see some use.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Splatter hopping is moving around as a squid right? I feel this is one of the core things that sets Splatoon apart from other shooters, it can be used for escape or ambush, or sliding into the fray in situations where just squid rocketing (or squorting ahaha) yourself would wind up with you getting killed.

It's like a built in cloak and dagger that adds a whole new layer to Splatoon!

Oh, and speaking of rocketing, is is possible to do it from any part of the map or just the spawn pad? It seems useful for getting in and then just bouncing out if you can use it anywhere.

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
Splatter hopping is moving around as a squid right? I feel this is one of the core things that sets Splatoon apart from other shooters, it can be used for escape or ambush, or sliding into the fray in situations where just squid rocketing (or squorting ahaha) yourself would wind up with you getting killed.

It's like a built in cloak and dagger that adds a whole new layer to Splatoon!

Oh, and speaking of rocketing, is is possible to do it from any part of the map or just the spawn pad? It seems useful for getting in and then just bouncing out if you can use it anywhere.
No it's actually a tech where you spray ink, jump into it, jump out of it, spray ink, jump into it, jump out of it, and repeat at a rapid rate.

Rocketing is possible at any point in the map.

JCOnyx

Inkling
Splatter hopping is such:

This man didn't seem to be applying it as well as I've seen others, you can actually go a bit faster. Or perhaps it was his gear slowing him down or the other player had speed gear? There is so much I still want answered lol

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Oh wow I see! I had no idea we were getting into techniques ALREADY, how neat!!

Anyway I feel this will (obviously) be only useful for standard Splattershot users and it's cousins like the Jr., for example the Blaster probably wouldn't be able to pull this off. It's a good mobility option for said guns when compare to other weapons--chargers allow you to travel in a long line and Melee rollers give you the speed you need to jet everywhere, but guns are on the slower side, they cover a wide range of land but still have to move at footspeed and therefore would need to rely on the other two weapon classes to effectively squid somewhere. This, however, gives guns the standalone power they need to reach unexplored places in a hurry!

As for usefulness it's definitely up to how coordinated you are with your team. In Turf Wars this is Garbo since it's literally the opposite of what you're trying to do, but in Control Points (I forget the exact name) this can be great for helping a sniper friend reach a high point (since I doubt a person carrying a Charger would like throwing themselves in the fray like others would) or combine it with speed gear to be a literal scout in early/mid game and secure choke points by calling your team to your side when you reach a good spot. It's also better (well, sneakier) than the conventional method of just shooting ink everywhere to get places because the enemy team is much less likely to notice tiny specks of the map changing color at a fast rate as opposed to them slowly losing a lot of turf.
I'm really just running my mouth but I would DEFINITELY not write this off.

Last edited:

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
No it's actually a tech where you spray ink, jump into it, jump out of it, spray ink, jump into it, jump out of it, and repeat at a rapid rate.

Rocketing is possible at any point in the map.
But it takes about 1.5 seconds to actually jump, and even then you wouldn't want to be leaping all over the map like that. It's not practical. For big distances obviously you'll be super jumping. But you should splatterhop to get to places faster without jumping. You can only jump to teammates you know.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Two things bother me with Splatoon right now. The number of maps, and how well will online hold up. These are two very important things in online shooters. No one likes laggy matches, and no one likes playing a handful of the same maps over and over again.

Also, how is Nintendo going to handle DLC? Will they sell DLC as maps and whatnot? Because if they are selling maps, I don't think that is the right choice, since all it does is fragment the player base to those who bought the maps vs. those who didn't.

Anyways, I am sure we will get some of these answers in the next Direct, so I look foward to hearing more on the game.

littlehero6

Inkling
Now that the first Demo day is over what do you guy's think of the game so far? Personally I think it's a blast and once we can have custom lobbies I can definitely see a competitive scene in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom