• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Inkwell: A Social Thread for Competitive Inklings

JCOnyx

Inkling
I can definitely see it happening. This was a blast to play.

After only dropping one game the entire period with the Splatter Jr. and Bubble loadout, I'm convinced Bubble is extremely good. Bubble, the Balloon Bombs, Rollers and Splatter weapons all seemed extremely potent. However, without a charger your team can't handle opponents on higher ground, and heavy roller teams especially suffered against opponents who would camp them out in their own ink and take high ground.

I used Splatter Hopping at the start of every match and I'd always get to center stage way before everyone else. This will also see a ton of use I'm assuming if I could gain that much of a head start with no practice.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I ended up using the Roller most of all, which kind of surprised me. It was really fun. I had a good time trying to sneak up on people and dropping down on them. Though I will say, Walleye Warehouse and Saltspray Rig seem to be very Roller-friendly, given how the pathways are sized in Saltspray and the general layout of Walleye. Though with more weapons in the full game, it might not be quite like that.

My main issue is with Walleye Warehouse. It seemed incredibly easy to spawn camp the other team once you push them back. I hope it's not the case with the other maps. I didn't see spawn camping as a problem in Saltsray Rig, so I'll have to hope. If it's too rampant in the maps, it's really going to bug me in competitive play.

Guineapig126

Inkling
NNID
Guineapig126
Ooo, a social thread! I hope to meet you all on the battlefield! (Hopefully as teammates!) I love to make new friends over things I enjoy, and Splatoon seems to be one of those things. Just a quick discussion point though: Do you guys think that, in competitive play, this game will have winners determined over one match or multiple, like Smash Bros.? Just asking, since matches seem to go on for a short time.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
I ended up using the Roller most of all, which kind of surprised me. It was really fun. I had a good time trying to sneak up on people and dropping down on them. Though I will say, Walleye Warehouse and Saltspray Rig seem to be very Roller-friendly, given how the pathways are sized in Saltspray and the general layout of Walleye. Though with more weapons in the full game, it might not be quite like that.

My main issue is with Walleye Warehouse. It seemed incredibly easy to spawn camp the other team once you push them back. I hope it's not the case with the other maps. I didn't see spawn camping as a problem in Saltsray Rig, so I'll have to hope. If it's too rampant in the maps, it's really going to bug me in competitive play.
I think it will definitely be a best two out of three sort of thing. I don't know how fair it would be if it was just one game to win it all.

Aerodrome

God of Thunder
I'll admit I haven't read this topic.

But I wasn't able to play Splatoon yesterday because I was at a tournament, but what are the OP guns so I can main them when the game comes out?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I'll admit I haven't read this topic.

But I wasn't able to play Splatoon yesterday because I was at a tournament, but what are the OP guns so I can main them when the game comes out?
Nothing is really OP. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. You just gotta play to their strengths.

Aerodrome

God of Thunder
Nothing is really OP. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. You just gotta play to their strengths.
Alright, maybe I should have rephrased to "what weapons are top/high tier".

I'm hyper competitive so this is important. :scared:

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus

Shooter weapons are pretty great. Good at offense and defense. Not only that, there seems to be a large variety of weapons in the shooter class too. Chargers, if used right, can basicly keep the enemy team in check if you can get kills with it. They tend to be more focused on defense. They were the only weapon that gave me the most troubles if the user was good. Rollers are okay, but you really need to play them smart, since they go down to any ranged weapon, and can be rather predictable in their movements.

JCOnyx

Inkling

The splatter weapons were honestly the best. Between the jr. and the regular, I think it comes down to personal preference. I used the Jr. almost exclusively because of the Bubble special.

The charger we had access to was probably the worst of the three, based on their descriptions, and they aren't really that relevant in turf wars. In ranked games, I see them becoming a lot more important since scoring kills will be vital while defending the captured area.

Rollers work well in Turf Wars, but that will probably be the gist of it. They are slow and predictable while spreading paint, provide you a chance to kill them before they can even start rolling if they're coming out of squid form, and have a really hard time dealing with opponents on higher ground or camping in their own paint.

Roksys

Senior Squid
NNID
Skolroksys
The charger we had access to was probably the worst of the three, based on their descriptions, and they aren't really that relevant in turf wars. In ranked games, I see them becoming a lot more important since scoring kills will be vital while defending the captured area.
I don't know about that, even with minimal-no experience I feel like I was using the charger fairly well to set up lanes early on, and from what I've been reading, some people have been able to effectively limit and redirect enemy movement by cutting off obvious channels from a distance. I'm definitely looking forward to practicing charger more than the other two personally, but it seems I might be in the minority there. X)

RespawningJesus

Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I don't know about that, even with minimal-no experience I feel like I was using the charger fairly well to set up lanes early on, and from what I've been reading, some people have been able to effectively limit and redirect enemy movement by cutting off obvious channels from a distance. I'm definitely looking forward to practicing charger more than the other two personally, but it seems I might be in the minority there. X)
Yeah, if a charger player is good, they can shut your whole team down fairly well. I was getting stomped by good charger players in the beginning of the 2nd test on Sat. Made me salty, but I really wanted to face them to learn more about how to deal with good chargers. I was not ready for them.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Yeah, if a charger player is good, they can shut your whole team down fairly well. I was getting stomped by good charger players in the beginning of the 2nd test on Sat. Made me salty, but I really wanted to face them to learn more about how to deal with good chargers. I was not ready for them.
I may be one of them actually. Charges are tricky because you have to find a way to get near them/around them. They can also very easily trap you if you're using a Roller. I personally have trapped a couple Rollers on the Saltspray Rig map myself.

4rcher

Inkling
Hi guys, I just joined the boards and I was hoping to try to get a group together to play splatoon with. I'm gonna try to get a capture card so I can stream some gameplay. Currently the only thing I can stream on right now is my Xbox one, and I'm gonna speed run Rayman ledgends over the summer, while I'm not playing splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom