• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The main problem with the new weapons

Inky Chan

Inkling
I usually really enjoy it whenever they add new weapons, but this time, it turned the game into a nightmare overnight.

You see, for every strong weapons, there are clear weaknesses.

Look at the brellas, a new addition in Splatoon 2, they're the first defensive weapons in the game, that allows you to create a path or defend a zone, but it comes at the cost of poor killing and inking potential.

Splatlings have great damage output and good range, but they have to charge first and have very poor mobility. Chargers are similar, being able to one-shot at long range, but requiring to charge and being poor at short range.

When the Ballpoint Splatling came out, there was no denying it was too strong, but after they fixed some issues with the weapon, it became somewhat balanced, it has flexibility withs itstwo firing mode, but it trades its flexibility for having overall lower stats to comparable splatlings. Even in its long-range mode, it still requires perfect aim unlike the hydra that can cover a wider area. What makes the Ballpoint acceptable is that it still maintains the splatling main weakness, requiring you to charge, and having a delay before its long-range mode activates.

Now look at the Nautilus 47, it does have shorter range than some of the other splatlings, but what makes this weapon problematic is that it loses its weakness, it no longer has to sacrifice mobility for it's strong firepower. While every other splatling are stuck to running, the Nautilus 47 allows you to swim in ink for a moderate amount of time without losing its charge, allowing the user to perform surprise attack at a decent with the same firepower as other splatling.

The Bloblobber is even worse in this aspect. It is supposed to be a slosher, but unlike every other sloshers that kill in two shots, the bloblobber can kill in one shot, at a greater range, can bounce of wall, still has a great firing rate, inks well. The Bloblobber is a slosher, without none of its weakness, and stronger in every aspect. The only real "downside" of the weapon is that the bubbles fall through grates... which is only problematic in very few maps, and rarely happens.

While i'm sure that those weapons can be balanced, i still believe that Nintendo should be careful about introducing weapons with little to no downsides.

the

Inkling Commander
While I haven’t heard much about the nautilus being op (and I haven’t played since the weaps were introduced) i am sort of puzzled that both the ballpoint and nautilus have the trait that you can recharge in the middle of firing. I feel like they should have either kept that function exclusive to the ballpoint or let every splatling have it. It gives these two newer weapons an advantage in staying power that doesn’t really have much to do with the weapon’s stats itself. The hydra in particular could really use something like that.

Inky Chan

Inkling
On one hand, i do feel like every splatling should be able to recharge while firing, because it makes using splatling that much more smooth. On the other hand, i would dread face a Hydra that could fire at will.

The Ballpoint can afford to recharge while firing since it is stuck in short firing mode for a quick moment, which means that it can't instantly snipe people from afar.

What makes the Nautilus 47 unfair is that it shares the firepower of other splatlings, but doesn't have to suffer from restricted mobility since it can swim and jump in squidform for a good amount of time, while also firing at full power instantly, which allows you to dodge and retaliate immediatly. Its basically better than the Mini in every aspects, while almost matching the Heavy Splatling's range (74 vs 78 range). The only "weak" points of the Nautilus 47 is its small charge capacity, which really isn't an issue since you can recharge at will.

As i said, Splatlings are supposed to trade mobility in exchange for increased firepower.

Same goes for the Bloblobber, it does everything a regular shlosher does, but better. Can kill in one-hit instead of two, more range, can bounce off walls, etc.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The Nautilus 47 is fine. It's range is a between Mini and Heavy, and mind you the charge time on the Mini Splatling is basically non-existent, being a negligible 0.5 seconds. And the Mini does have fairly good mobility while charging and firing.

The Nautilus 47 has charge time roughly equal to the Heavy, 1.25 seconds, and its firing duration isn't even worth it, barely longer than the Mini. It trades its lackluster charge speed and firing time for charge storage and recharging. But this weapon lives and dies by this one gimmick. It's charge strafing speed IS the worst, tied with the Hydra. It's firing strafing speed is Heavy tier. It's small charge capacity does make a difference, greatly limits any given suppression fire, instead forcing you to spend intervals recharging your shots regularly.

Also, Splatlings don't trade mobility for power, they trade getting a charge for being able to have a high firing rate at long range. Mobility has never been a significant priority for the long ranged Splatlings because their primary role doesn't require mobility to be a significant priority.

Plus, the additional mobility options for the Nautilus 47 only apply while in squid form.

And the Nautilus's kit hails in comparison to both Heavy kits.

Last edited:

Kyrushi

Inkling
NNID
Kyrushi
Switch Friend Code
SW-7919-9700-3881
Bloblobber is not nearly as OP as you're giving it credit for. Its only "OP" property is how strong it is against objects like the rainmaker shield and baller. If you die in one hit, you're dying the same way that an H3 would get you: because you were either too still or you literally ran right into it. They don't turf well enough to establish an escape route unlike other sloshers either, so it's easy to get them stuck in a bad situation. That said, a Bloblobber by itself is not threatening in a firefight. It needs help from others to put on a scary presence, much like a rapid blaster.

TBob408

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-5648-5506-6493
Bloblobber is not nearly as OP as you're giving it credit for. Its only "OP" property is how strong it is against objects like the rainmaker shield and baller. If you die in one hit, you're dying the same way that an H3 would get you: because you were either too still or you literally ran right into it. They don't turf well enough to establish an escape route unlike other sloshers either, so it's easy to get them stuck in a bad situation. That said, a Bloblobber by itself is not threatening in a firefight. It needs help from others to put on a scary presence, much like a rapid blaster.
my problem with blob is, as a charger main, i find it really hard to see anything when other people are lobbing their bubbles everywhere. it was hell when it was first released and i was the only one not playing blob. i think i got one splat that game from a bomb.

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
Bloblobber aint OP it's merely too powerful for what it is, as was said its inking isn't great however it's range permits it to avoid being in an area where it must rely on its inking ability, instead it can sit at the backlines lobbing bubbles that depending on the map can prevent anyone from advancing just from the sheer number of bubbles it can put out in a short time. Not to mention Inkstorm aiding it's ability to deny any advance by either pushing teams back or directly into the bubbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom