• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Meta's most underrated weapons.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I've seen a lot of people talk flak about some weapons for seemingly no reason. Heres what I usually see. Keep in mind this mostly pertains to Splat Zones.

Squiffers: People are sleeping on these weapons way too much imo. If you know what you're doing and you can aim straight, these weapons are incredible. I think people immediately sleep on them because they are chargers without a ton of range, but you have to play them differently than other snipers.

Splat Roller: Tons of people say that the vanilla roller is trash and the krak on is far better. I find the vanilla roller better than the krak on, though. The main reason is that the splat roller has more options in comparison to others. It has suction bombs, plus a killer wail to fight back against longer ranged weapons.

Splash O Matic: The splash o matic may seem like an odd choice of weapon, but if used a certain way, it is quite effective. If you use special charge ups and bomb range ups, and focus on always filling your special, you can bombard the zone and enemies with suction bombs.

Splash walls: Yeah I know its a sub, but I wanted to talk about these. I think that, if used properly, these are the single best subs in the game. These are especially good with the 96 deco.

Those are what I find to be the most underrated weapons. What do you all think?

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
I think splat roller is actually better than Krak-on, the suction bomb and killer wail let it actually do something when it's behind in addition to giving it a much larger effective range.

Squiffers are ridiculous, but almost nobody plays them so they are slept on. Basically a one shot weapon with range.

Spash-o-matic is only good because of how fast it charges up its special.

Splash walls are ridiculously good, especially on maps like saltspray and port.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
......Uh I use the Splash-omatic and Splash walls alot in ranked. I also see them a decent amount in ranked.

I actually don't see a lot of squiffers and honestly am somewhat annoyed the way some Snipers play. I like Snipers that get in teh action a bit more or at least don't camp and one spot all day everyday. i might try thr squiff

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
as of right now, L-3 Nozzlenose and maybe Dual Squelcher

really anything that isn't overhyped (blasters, krakon) or trash (rapid blasters, inkbrush) is good enough to potentially find a place in a team (even if only as a niche role) and anything that isn't being seen that way is probably underrated

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Splattershot Jr. I see alot of people say this is a bad weapon for Ranked. Terrible range yes, but a great sub and special make up for it.

Reactions: blu

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Burst Bombs. They're great with bomb range up.

Also Suction bombs are broken and need their blast damage radius reduced. The number of deaths I've had from them because they were under a ledge or something is ridiculous.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum

really anything that isn't overhyped (blasters, krakon) or trash (rapid blasters, inkbrush) is good enough to potentially find a place in a team (even if only as a niche role) and anything that isn't being seen that way is probably underrated
Yeah that's pretty true lol.

Splattershot Jr. I see alot of people say this is a bad weapon for Ranked. Terrible range yes, but a great sub and special make up for it.
I don't really think the bubble makes up for anything really, neither do bombs. For ranked you're better off using a tentatek or something.

Burst Bombs. They're great with bomb range up.

Also Suction bombs are broken and need their blast damage radius reduced. The number of deaths I've had from them because they were under a ledge or something is ridiculous.
Suctions bombs are very good, but I don't think they need nerfing. The whole point besides the whole suction thing is that it takes longer to detonate, but has a bigger payoff than other bombs.

Blast

Inactive
NNID
Blastystoise
Dual Squelcher. Even though it's used a fair amount online, I think it has way more potential to be a great weapon, especially on maps like Port Mackerel. I'm also a big fan of the Splattershot Jr., but the further you go up the ladder, the more people figure out how to deal with the Bubbler and that's really the only thing that gives it an edge over the Aerospray(s). Otherwise, it's a good weapon for leveling/earning money on Turf War, not so much on Ranked, in my opinion.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
Dual Squelcher. Even though it's used a fair amount online, I think it has way more potential to be a great weapon, especially on maps like Port Mackerel. I'm also a big fan of the Splattershot Jr., but the further you go up the ladder, the more people figure out how to deal with the Bubbler and that's really the only thing that gives it an edge over the Aerospray(s). Otherwise, it's a good weapon for leveling/earning money on Turf War, not so much on Ranked, in my opinion.
Yeah, I think the dual Squelcher is pretty good. It's not my favorite because its ttk isn't too fast, but that doesn't make it bad at all

The regular Splattershot is pretty underrated.
Given the tentatek exists, it makes since why, but yeah it still is a viable choice

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Rapid Blaster.
Yesterday I played against a Rapid Blaster user who stacked Damage Up perks up to the maximum which gave him up to 96.0 damage. Then he pretty much one-shot anyone who dared to come into his sight - it was hilarious.

Normal Splattershot
While being slightly underrated, Tentatek is the better weapon of the two. Even if you mastered burst bombs, it just lacks range too much.

Splash-o-matic
This weapon should actually be considered very high-top tier. Suction bomb rush is destruction in Splat Zones and very strong in the other modes and it's quickly built up with this weapon.

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Chargers in general are kinda underrated except E-liters. Squiffers are indeed the most underrated of them though. The reason no one use them of course is during the beginning of the game's life, people heavily assumed it was bad. However, things like the bubbler and inkzooka are so useful.

I've seen a lot of Dual Squelcher, so I don't think those are underrated.

Splat Roller is also pretty good with things like killer wail and suction bomb making it more offensive than the Krak-on Roller.

I've seen some pretty good standard splattershot make amazing use of the burst bombs.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I don't really think the bubble makes up for anything really, neither do bombs. For ranked you're better off using a tentatek or something..
See, you're just proving my point by dismissing it. Splat Bombs are great for taking out distant enemies, and the Bubbler can not only protect you but your teammates as well, making it perfect for Splat Zones(pushing into zones with your team) and Tower Control(protecting yourself on the tower).

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Personally i believe that the Splattershot Pro (or more specifically the Forge Splattershot Pro) is the most underrated weapon out so far. Its range lets you beat most other weapons in long range fights. It also comes with the Point sensor which is great for team plays, and has an Inkzooka which is a great offensive weapon itself. The ink coverage this thing has is also overlooked.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Custom Jet Squelcher needs more love imo. The amount of sneaky stuff you can pull off with burst bomb + shot out of nowhere is amazing. Needs one damage up main and two subs to be a guaranteed kill though assuming direct hits. Also, burst bombs are great because you can make quick getaways, and then find a good position to abuse your ridiculous range. The kraken special is just a bonus, and ink coverage whilst not great is acceptable.

Doringo

Inkling
I personally feel that the Splattershot Jr has been a long time underrated weapon. I hardly see any advanced players use it, and back in global testfire it was a very underused weapon, It's bubbler has a great tactical advantage if used correctly.

Infact, all of the splattershot variations don't tend to see alot of usage save by new players, most people I see go for weapons like the splash o matic and the .96 gal deco.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Splat Roller: Tons of people say that the vanilla roller is trash and the krak on is far better. I find the vanilla roller better than the krak on, though. The main reason is that the splat roller has more options in comparison to others. It has suction bombs, plus a killer wail to fight back against longer ranged weapons.
I can see the thinking behind the Krak-On being better, since it has the Kraken (which is awesome) and Squid Beakons (which are useful). But I feel like the regular Splat Roller is best for Tower Control, since it feels almost perfectly designed to make enemies get off the tower. It has a powerful and decent-range swing for when it gets close, Suction Bombs to lob onto the tower from farther away, and the Killer Wail to force enemies to leave it along for a few seconds. It's also a decent pick for Splat Zones as well, since it can clean up Zones fairly quickly by rolling over them and can throw Suction Bombs to contest them from afar, and it has Killer Wails to splatter enemies sniping from perches. It's a good pick, but I can see why the Krak-On is chosen more (mostly for RELEASING THE KRAKEN (which, amittedly, is a good reason, but also because its loadout is pretty good).

Splash O Matic: The splash o matic may seem like an odd choice of weapon, but if used a certain way, it is quite effective. If you use special charge ups and bomb range ups, and focus on always filling your special, you can bombard the zone and enemies with suction bombs.
This is underrated? I haven't seen as many of them online lately, but it's still a really good weapon thanks to having Suction Bomb Rush (and having decent rapid-fire: not great, but alright).

Splash walls: Yeah I know its a sub, but I wanted to talk about these. I think that, if used properly, these are the single best subs in the game. These are especially good with the 96 deco.
It's great for closing chokepoints and defending one side of a tower for a bit, but it loses most of its effectiveness in open areas where you can just walk around them. They're good, just fairly specialized, I think.

Yeah, I used to hate the Nozzlenose, but it's pretty good. It's not so much a very weird shooter as it is the Inkbrush of Blasters, I feel: it sacrifices power, in this case trading a more Blaster-style exploding shot that splats in one shot if you aim it right and 2 if you're off a bit for a 3-round burst that takes 4 hits for a splat, for speed, the speed in this case being the very rapid fire for its burst, not beig slowed as much while firing and being able to move at normal speed (or swim) much sooner than you would for a Blaster. Reinforcing this thought is the fact that the Nozzlenose has the same loadout as the regular Blaster, the Disruptor and Killer Wail, and they fit it very well. Disruptors help you splatter enemies in much the same way they do for the Blaster - by slowing them down so you can aim more easily - and the Killer Wail lets you attack at long range and force enemies out of chokepoints for a bit. In the case of the Nozzlenose, I feel it has better turf-covering ability than Blasters as well, due to its faster fire rate, but that could just be because I don't use Blasters that much. Overall, it's a good weapon, maybe even a great weapon, but it takes a bit of getting used to.
As for the Dual Squelcher...maybe in relation to the Custom version, but otherwise having Splat Bombs to flush out enemies fairly quickly and Echolocator to refill your ink tank (and also reveal enemy locations, but that's always felt like more of a bonus thing to me) is a great loadout, and it has a pretty good balance of range and fire rate (by which I mean it has quite a bit of both, but mostly range), though it's a bit weak.

Personally i believe that the Splattershot Pro (or more specifically the Forge Splattershot Pro) is the most underrated weapon out so far. Its range lets you beat most other weapons in long range fights. It also comes with the Point sensor which is great for team plays, and has an Inkzooka which is a great offensive weapon itself. The ink coverage this thing has is also overlooked.
I don't see how this could be underrated, it's a pretty good weapon (I would know, I've been on the receiving end of it plenty of times), but nothing about it is "the best" or close to it. It doesn't have as much power as the Gals (though it's fairly powerful), or the range of the Squelchers (Jet, anyway, not sure about Dual; either way, its range is pretty good too, just not up to those weapons' standard), and though its fire rate is pretty good, it eats theough your ink really quickly, so it pretty much requires an investment in Ink Saver Main. It's really the 7/10 of shooters: in every category, there's something better, but it's pretty good at everything except ink efficiency, so if you can get an Ink Saver Main it's a great pick. Having said that, there are more specialized weapons, so if you want a lot of one thing or another you can grab a weapon that specializes in that (or just use a .96 Gal; it fires slowly so ambushing with it is almost always a bad call, but it's stronger and has better range). So I could see it being outclassed by a bunch of weapons in one or two areas, but it shouldn't be underrated since it's good for everything.
Having said all of that, I think you're right about the Forge Pro. Point Sensors are good for scouting and cost less ink than the regular Pro's Splat Bombs, and the Inkzooka is a good special for killing at long range (like against most Chargers). The regular Pro is alright too, since Splat Bombs are a good sub (if costly, which is bad with the Pro's high ink consumption) and Inkstrikes are a good area-attack-and-covering tool, but I feel the Forge is better, since I prefer its loadout.

I personally feel that the Splattershot Jr has been a long time underrated weapon. I hardly see any advanced players use it, and back in global testfire it was a very underused weapon, It's bubbler has a great tactical advantage if used correctly.
I see Splattershot Jrs all the time, it's a decent weapon with a very well-rounded loadout. I never see Custom Splattershot Jrs thoug, which is a shame since I think it has potential as an ambush-centric weapon thanks to having Disruptors and Echolocator. Not that it's a great weapon, but it's not horrible, at least I don't think so. It might be underrated, I dunno.

Infact, all of the splattershot variations don't tend to see alot of usage save by new players, most people I see go for weapons like the splash o matic and the .96 gal deco.
Ah, I don't see this. I see people using the Tentatek Splattershot all the time, it's probably the most-used weapon I see. This might be true for the regular Splattershot though, I don't see them very often.
You might just be seeing more .96 Gal Decos right now because it just came out, that'll fall off a bit in time. Splash-O-Matics are here to stay though, it's a good weapon.

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
Personally, I don't see a lot of the Dynamo Rollers or Chargers in general, but I mainly play Turf Wars, not Splat Zones. (I think Turf Wars is more reliable, cash-gaining wise.) The ones I DO see are either really good at using them, or really bad at using them. Sprinklers in general are underrated, too.

Cullen

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
CullenDaGaDee
Switch Friend Code
SW-0399-9657-5873
I rarely see Custom Splattershot Jr., but I can understand why. The weapon is straight up made for team support, which can be hard to utilize if people don't see what you're trying to do. I'm interested to see how it will be applied when people can make their own teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom