• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The new burst bombs

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
I made this thread to discuss burst bombs after patch 2.70; copy/pasted from Inkpedia, here are the changes:

• Ink consumption: 25% → 40%
  • ▼ Weakened the knockback effect.
  • ▼ Radius for dealing minimum damage reduced by 20%.
  • ▲ Minimum damage: 20.0 → 25.0
  • ▲ Radius for dealing medium damage (35.0) increased by about 14%.
  • Painting radius increased by about 43%.
(I underlined what I think are the most relevant changes.)
Personal thoughts: For me as Neo Splash-o-matic and a E-liter 3K Scope main, I was initially very disappointed by the nerfs, the old Burst Bomb's were really handy with about 4 throws to a tank. Without many Ink Saver (Sub)'s equipped, you can be left very vulnerable. However, here are my new thoughts:

I personally think burst bombs have become more of a defensive and mobility aid almost. Its kamikaze days may have been ended but for example, the increased blast radius greatly helps me move up walls easier since now I can manage using only one bomb the majority of the time instead of 2, which is really convenient. One notable advantage is the lack of lag the burst bomb has. I normally have Swim Speed Up equipped and it's now really good at covering a larger space of turf in a really short amount of time. It may be ink costly but it does help me move swiftly when I throw it at the ground covered/partially covered in enemy ink, a maneuver that is much more effective and swift post update regardless of the ink consumption increase. In one case I escaped a Kraken chasing me down by throwing burst bombs on un-inked turf, eventually splatting the player. On another note, when using Neo Splash-o-matic I 've been able to throw burst bombs at the ground when Inkzooka is equipped, allowing me to move better and get out of enemy ink which can be very useful!

Although more caution is necessary with the sub, I think Bomb Rush (Burst Bomb) got a big buff now that the stream of BB's covers more turf, something that helps out with the Splattershot and Refurb mini. I'm hoping these weapons and this special can get put to good use.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your guys' opinion too! :)

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
can you add enough damage up to get the burst bombs to do a 2 hit kill presuming that the opponent doesn't have any defense up?

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
@chubbypickle Well, without any damage up 2 direct hits will always kill (assuming no defense up.)

I don't know if that can be done with medium damage though, I'll have to experiment with that.

CM86

Pro Squid
Fun fact. An ink saver sub main and 3 ink saver sub sub abilities will allow you to throw 3 burst bombs again :) . Is it worth it? No idea. For the E-liter I was considering it since damage up will not be as important. I can just replace damage up with ink saver sub.

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
Fun fact. An ink saver sub main and 3 ink saver sub sub abilities will allow you to throw 3 burst bombs again :) . Is it worth it? No idea. For the E-liter I was considering it since damage up will not be as important. I can just replace damage up with ink saver sub.

Yup! I did it with two mains but that proved really costly. It still helps a whole lot though, which is worth keeping in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom