• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The new specials are not overpowered.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
This is basically a rant, don't mind me :p

Something I've seen a lot lately on various websites is people claiming these new subweapons are unbalanced or OP. No? I guess the logic sort of makes sense to people new to the game, but I'm hearing this from veterans too. These specials are mighty, but they aren't going to shatter matches the way the first game's specials did. I shall now break it down.

Inkzooka. Instant death tornado with a tall hitbox. Replaced by Inkjet, a blaster with infinite range that grants flight but also makes you a flying target.
Killer Wail. A wide stage-length tunnel that causes instant death if touched. Replaced by Sting Ray, a narrow wall-piercing laser that can be aimed but requires hitting several times to kill.
Bubbler. Oh, the bubbler. Invincibility for 4.5 seconds while still able to act normally, you can only be pushed. Replaced by Ink Armor, which provides protection from one attack for each separate team member.
Kraken. Invincible squid form with an instant death melee attack. Replaced by Baller, which works similarly but lets you be harmed and can only kill foes with the special-ending explosion. Might be wrong on that last bit, but I doubt running into people will do much.
Echolocator. Your team sees the enemy team for 9 seconds. Replaced, sort of, by Tenta Missiles and it's lock-on effect.. There's still plenty of echolocator effects in the game still, but they don't just apply it to everyone now.
Inkstrike. Remotely paint a location, instant death for anyone in the center and possible death by damage for anyone too close. Replaced by the Ink Storm, which is akin to a sprinkler, and somewhat by the Tenta Missiles, which also marks it's landing point and disables movement while firing. The Splashdown also has a similar effect, but requires being close and you can be splatted during it.
Bomb Rush is basically unchanged and left you open if you threw nonstop, so not much to say there.

Kinda got long-winded there, didn't I? The general trend here is that the specials provide new perks or work in unique new ways, but on the whole they are weaker than the first game's specials, and that's a good thing. The skill ceiling is much higher here. For example, anyone can pull out a bubbler and charge forth without much thought, but it'll take good timing and spatial awareness to really turn the tide with a use of Ink Armor.

The specials were one of the most polarizing things in the first game, and so far it seems like Nintendo is attempting to minimize the all-or-nothing affairs that popped up last time with specials and Damage Up and what have you. Of course, I could be completely wrong and various "One True Strategies" will pop up again, but I'm optimistic about this new, less obscenely mighty assortment.

Last edited:

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
In the direct when the baller was shown there were no shots fired at the user so it's currently unclear if the user is vulnerable or temporarily invincible. So I don't think it's correct to state "but let's you get harmed". I have a feeling that it is an invincibility special due to the way it looks, but the balance of course is that you can only kill nearby enemies with the single explosion at the end. (it might be a panic button special that people will hate, but it's not the tide changing special that the Kraken was).

I do agree that the balance and variety of specials in this game is much better. Everyone popping specials at the same time is still strong but it's nowhere near as powerful as the first. Specials will require skill to be able to take out more than one enemy. No more free team wipes.

I have a feeling teams will want to avoid stacking the same specials. In most cases it seems better for all four players to have a different special for variety.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
In the direct when the baller was shown there were no shots fired at the user so it's currently unclear if the user is vulnerable or temporarily invincible. So I don't think it's correct to state "but let's you get harmed". I have a feeling that it is an invincibility special due to the way it looks, but the balance of course is that you can only kill nearby enemies with the single explosion at the end. (it might be a panic button special that people will hate, but it's not the tide changing special that the Kraken was).

I do agree that the balance and variety of specials in this game is much better. Everyone popping specials at the same time is still strong but it's nowhere near as powerful as the first. Specials will require skill to be able to take out more than one enemy. No more free team wipes.

I have a feeling teams will want to avoid stacking the same specials. In most cases it seems better for all four players to have a different special for variety.
This is nitpicking, I know, but the description of the Baller in the Splatfest demo says "Enter a ball that protects you from a certain amount of damage and move around."

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
This is nitpicking, I know, but the description of the Baller in the Splatfest demo says "Enter a ball that protects you from a certain amount of damage and move around."
Oh, cool. I was unaware of that as I only had seen the direct which was unclear. So it's not invincible, but it probably absorbs a bit of damage. I wonder if its hp is 100 or 200 or what so we could know exactly how much it can take.
Still can panic button run away but the fact that it's not completely invincible is great news. Thanks for cluing me in.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh, cool. I was unaware of that as I only had seen the direct which was unclear. So it's not invincible, but it probably absorbs a bit of damage. I wonder if its hp is 100 or 200 or what so we could know exactly how much it can take.
Still can panic button run away but the fact that it's not completely invincible is great news. Thanks for cluing me in.
No worries, good points there. The Baller is definitely not as immediately threatening and may not save panic button users, but ambush kabooms sound delightful :D

jookie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
j00kieizm
I'm actually not too fussed with the new specials. I really like how Nintendo is trying to even out the playing field with getting rid of damage up and taking the one hit kill specials out. We still have two more weeks to release and even after I'm sure things will be tweaked with updates but I'm not bothered by anything they've shown so far. \o/ I'm excited to try to figure out how to use the new specials to get the best advantage but I'm glad they don't seem completely match-changing.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
Ink Armor, which provides protection from one attack and one attack only for the entire team.
Wait, one attack on the ENTIRE TEAM? That's almost entirely useless in something like solo queue, throw it on and it's instantly gone because player x in the middle of nowhere is fighting for kills in a meaningless spot, whereas the rest of you are trying to get an objective and as a result get no protection. Are you sure it's not one hit for each person?

My best guess is each attack will reduce the time left on your special, sort of like the ink tanks in splash walls. So it wouldn't act very well as a panic button if you're being teamed up on. At least that's how I'd design it, we'll see how it really works in a few weeks, I guess.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
Ink Armor will be a lot less useful against Brushes and anything with a high fire rate.
Naturally, but it becomes even less useful if only one person can get hit with a stray or targeted shot before the entire team loses their armor.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Wait, one attack on the ENTIRE TEAM? That's almost entirely useless in something like solo queue, throw it on and it's instantly gone because player x in the middle of nowhere is fighting for kills in a meaningless spot, whereas the rest of you are trying to get an objective and as a result get no protection. Are you sure it's not one hit for each person?
You misunderstood, yeah, it's one hit per person, so 4 total. That'll really vex chargers and blasters. I'll go edit that to minimize confusion, I see how my wording might've caused that.

Last edited:

Dog King

Full Squid
Yeah, the specials in this game are without a doubt more balanced, which I appreciate. Can't wait to find new strategies and says to use these new beauties! Baller seems pretty good for ambushes, while the tentamissles would be a solid distraction/anti-charger special.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
You misunderstood, yeah, it's one hit per person, so 4 total. That'll really vex chargers and blasters. I'll go edit that to minimize confusion, I see how my wording might've caused that.
Oh I see, that's much more reasonable. You're right, won't be much of a help against rapid fire weapons like splatlings or faster fire rate shooters, but it's basically a free shot protection against chargers/rollers and huge against blasters too

Kabel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kabelly
Definitely love the new specials. It makes it that people don't rely/ can't rely on them. Everything has a reasonable counter.

OogieBoogie

Pro Squid
NNID
MrOogieBoogie
I agree with your base point that the specials are not OP, but as with almost every game it seems, some group of people will find the combo that "works the best" and make a meta game out of it and the herd will follow. You gotta admit that is likely to happen and at that time, the people will cry "OP", nerf may follow, new meta born, rinse and repeat. That is exactly what is going on with OW at least XD

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I didn't realize there are people who actually think surviving one shot is better than full invincibility. :L

Fisherman

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Fisherman765
Switch Friend Code
SW-4453-3080-2542
I'm not sure but I think the new Bomb Rush doesn't let you move, since all the footage I have seen on it the inkling is just standing still. So it is easier to avoid the bombs since the guy with the bomb rush can't chase you.

Fullmental

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pokeman92
I doubt any one t

In terms of not breaking the game balance over one's knee, yeah, yeah there is :p
If it means I don't run into a kraken/bubbler that I should have been able to kill, and don't get killed instead in a cruel twist of fate, then absolutely. It puts more emphasis on player skill and less on dumb luck and cheesy tricks.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Yeah, all of these specials seem pretty balanced so far. Not only just balanced, but completely toned down from what we got in the first game. Which is nice, since more emphasis on player skill, and less on the specials. The specials in 1 were fun, but the specials in 2 look to be more fun, since they require more interaction this time.

The bubble blower special looks interesting to me though. Really want to see how that feels like in actual gameplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom