• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The new Stingray.

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Am I the only one who finds the new Stingray to be just a LITTLE broken? Having what's basically a continuous, aimable Killer Wail is definitely good, but it turns way too fast to be avoided. I'm fine with the new buff, but I think a turning speed nerf is in order. Anyone else agree?

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
After seeing some people in ThatSrb2DUDE's stream chat talking about how Stingray and Baller are "OP" now due to their recent buffs I knew a thread like this is going to pop up at some point.

It's defiantly a strong special now (especially in TC), but it's can still be avoided like before and depending on the position of the Stingray user you can potentially punish him since the user can't Super Jump away, or use sub weapons when using the Stingray. So I don't think it's broken.

I would personally give it a bit more time for players to get adjust to the new buffed specials before nerfing it.

Also (and I'm not trying to sound rude or anything of that sort), even if the playerbase rallied to nerf the Stingray because it finally became a good special after it being considered "the weakest special in the game" for a little while, how would one suggest to nerf it without gutting it like what happened to the Inkjet?

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
After seeing some people in ThatSrb2DUDE's stream chat talking about how Stingray and Baller are "OP" now due to their recent buffs I knew a thread like this is going to pop up at some point.

It's defiantly a strong special now (especially in TC), but it's can still be avoided like before and depending on the position of the Stingray user you can potentially punish him since the user can't Super Jump away, or use sub weapons when using the Stingray. So I don't think it's broken.

I would personally give it a bit more time for players to get adjust to the new buffed specials before nerfing it.

Also (and I'm not trying to sound rude or anything of that sort), even if the playerbase rallied to nerf the Stingray because it finally became a good special after it being considered "the weakest special in the game" for a little while, how would one suggest to nerf it without gutting it like what happened to the Inkjet?
My best nerf idea is to remove the damage increase that you get from the bigger beam. It would still be an amazing special, and still would be basically unstoppable in tower control, but it would give the opponent more time to get out of the way.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The stingray is fine, imho. It's dead if anyone catches it in close-quarters, so it has to backpedal a lot out of combat to use it safely. It has it's pros and cons, whereas in pre-patch it was a straight-up liability to use. I don't think it needs a re-nerf, there's enough things in Sploot 2 that need a good buffing as is.

There's also this thing that might have given it an illusion of fast rotation speed: technically the further the Stingray user is from it's target(s), the faster it rotates. The beam is emitted from it's user and travels in a straight line, and at a longer range the beam rotating will have a much bigger impact making the Stingray much more effective. This is something hard to explain with just words, so I've made a little drawing for those still confused about it:

Attachments

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Its fine to my.
The stingray is useful if you corner enemy's with it or use to block off stuff (tower, splat zone, access to choke points).
But it's still easely avoided in open area's making you vulnarable since you can't do much else outside fleeing.
Turning speed is also fine, its just more noticeable at longer range now the beam is bigger.
(hence the above post description)

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Way too soon to tell. It was even too soon to tell if the original Stingray was really that bad. The buff however was massive and the possibility of this being a buff that yet again went out of control definitely exists.
The developers seemed to have picked up the hobby of giving out unnecessarily massive buffs, sometimes even to weapons and specials that didn't need any buffs at all. Whether Stingray is one of those is hard to tell. If I had to guess though, I would say it's pretty balanced now.

NBSink

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5607-3736-5200
Actually. I feel like the sting ray went from underpowered but not bad in the right hands to somehow way overpowered. Like the Stinger in SalmonRun it just puts to much pressure on me to dodge. It's very hard to effectively dodge if you are far behind (Supporter zone or even further behind). I played with the Sloshing Machine before the buff and I managed to get some good splats with it.

CP-Ice

Inkling
NNID
powrain
Switch Friend Code
SW-6737-8728-2577
Seems pretty balanced. Its still really thin so it s easy to avoid.

SilverBlue-Neko

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-0694-5266-9796
The Stringray was always decent to me but only during certain situations. Now it's just a bit better. It's still really only amazing for Tower Control. Other modes though it isn't nearly as good. It's super easy to just swim away from. It needed the buff but isn't OP like some specials were in the first game imo

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I really don't think it's broken at all. I still don't have much trouble avoiding it, and it seems to be able to do enough to still be effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom