• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Potential of Rolling

ToonSquid

Inkling
NNID
SwiftGoggles
While playing the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire a few friends and I had discovered some neat things about the new Splat Dualies and their unique rolling mechanics that could prove to be useful in the meta game of Splatoon 2.

Rolling In Air onto the Ground:
With the Splat Dualies you are able to roll in the air which will boost you onto the ground. Since you can roll two times in a row this allows you to project yourself even farther than you could before, this is also able to be accomplished while super jumping to allies and may make it easier to dodge opponents trying to shoot you while landing. While playing I also found it helpful if you turn up your sensitivity for this
(EDIT): You must be close to the ground to preform an air roll, if you fail though it will typically lave you very vulnerable to opponents for a second or two.

I will be making a video of this during the next Testfire period and uploading it to YouTube to show off the trick.

Last edited:

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
I haven't had a chance to play the Dualies yet but there are so many things I want to test with Rolling. I'm sure there's something waiting to be discovered to completely change the way a Dualie can be played.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
i never really played with rollers in splatoon 1.
but these new changes/additions seem they could really change the way rollers are played.
now, if i only had a switch

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
The Dualies definitely look like they have potential with those rolling. I find the range and fire rate rather decent, and sure enough someone that plans on main-ing those weapons will devote a lot of their time in them; getting all technical, and figuring out some advance tricks/exploits to use in the meta.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
i never really played with rollers in splatoon 1.
but these new changes/additions seem they could really change the way rollers are played.
now, if i only had a switch
We mean Rolling with the Dualies XD there's already more threads about rollers, feel free to check those. If you haven't seen gameplay of the Dualies I highly suggest watching some since they're awesome.

MacSmitty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Seeker624
The real question is, are we gonna get more rolls than Roll Glory? *troll face*

In all seriousness I dont have a Switch to play the Testfire so I don't know how effective dodge rolling is.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Here's a grand question: Are any other weapons or weapon types getting that roll? Are dualies their own shooter subclass? Tricks like the one ToonSquid found are really going to shake things up.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
Here's a grand question: Are any other weapons or weapon types getting that roll? Are dualies their own shooter subclass? Tricks like the one ToonSquid found are really going to shake things up.
I'm pretty sure the roll is going to be exclusively for the Dualies. Though it would be interesting if they made it for other weapons as well.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
I believe that it will be a subclass of shooters, which is something they mentioned during the reveal stream in January.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Ooo nice find! Perhaps this will be the next popular strat like jump flicking and half charging... maybe!

I saw people using the roll to pop out of hiding for the ambush, but I think that's actually inferior to just shooting immediately, as the roll animation gives the enemy more time to react.

Magic8Ball

Inkling Cadet
Community Ambassador
NNID
M4g1c8Ball
Ooo nice find! Perhaps this will be the next popular strat like jump flicking and half charging... maybe!

I saw people using the roll to pop out of hiding for the ambush, but I think that's actually inferior to just shooting immediately, as the roll animation gives the enemy more time to react.
I'm wondering about some other possible things too, like seeing if there is some button combo or movement option that could cut down on the lag frames, like momentum cancelling, or if there is a way to boost yourself super far after moving as a squid and then rolling.

Yeah the Dualies don't seem like an ambush weapon. Instead, they would be better on the front lines, akin to a Splattershot of sorts. They have good movement options and don't need to rely on sharking as much as an Octobrush or N-Zap would. Then again, I haven't had a chance to play it so we'll see how that works out. Since the Roll has so many possibilities and good versatility, I feel they would be more suited for the Front Lines.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I'm wondering about some other possible things too, like seeing if there is some button combo or movement option that could cut down on the lag frames, like momentum cancelling, or if there is a way to boost yourself super far after moving as a squid and then rolling.

Yeah the Dualies don't seem like an ambush weapon. Instead, they would be better on the front lines, akin to a Splattershot of sorts. They have good movement options and don't need to rely on sharking as much as an Octobrush or N-Zap would. Then again, I haven't had a chance to play it so we'll see how that works out. Since the Roll has so many possibilities and good versatility, I feel they would be more suited for the Front Lines.
I shoulda specified that those instances I saw were when the Dualie was already in range. The dodgeroll should still help get them into range especially when the enemy it's flanking is surrounded by their ink like Chargers n Splatlings generally are. Dodgerolling is probably a bit faster than inking a path then swimming through it. But yeah it's versatility is definitely like that of the Splattershot and it seems made for head on firefights, so my kind of weapon! No Switch so I haven't actually played the game though, just speaking from what I've seen so wont be surprised if I'm wrong about stuffs.

Also, I think the lag is what keeps it from being unbalanced and spammed.

ToonSquid

Inkling
NNID
SwiftGoggles
The real question is, are we gonna get more rolls than Roll Glory? *troll face*

In all seriousness I dont have a Switch to play the Testfire so I don't know how effective dodge rolling is.
The dodge rolling has proved to be very effective, takes some time to master but if you can evade quickly then fire back it works very well, especially against chargers.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I tried this air rolling technique in the test fire, and I just couldn't get the air roll to perform from a super jump. Only time I could roll was when I touched the ground first. Interestingly, I was pretty sure I could roll after a jump in the air.

ToonSquid

Inkling
NNID
SwiftGoggles
I tried this air rolling technique in the test fire, and I just couldn't get the air roll to perform from a super jump. Only time I could roll was when I touched the ground first. Interestingly, I was pretty sure I could roll after a jump in the air.
As I stated it is very hard to pull off but when you do it, it works out perfectly, the only problem is that it requires you to be almost at the ground but not exactly and the timing can be a bit funky depending on the map.

derty

Inkling Cadet
NNID
derty10
the roller is dope but vulnerable.
slow to retract compared to other weapons...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom