• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Prefered Rank Mode for Tournament

Which kind of Tournament would you enter?

• Total voters

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
So I would like to know, what type of tournament do ya perfer the most? The one that features all three (Splat Zone, Tower Control, Rainmaker) or do ya prefer the tournament focuses around one rank mode only?

Please be sure to explain your reasoning, as I'm curious on your answer.

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
i like tower control because it is the least gimmicky and the most balanced mode for pretty much every stage

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
Rainmaker is my favourite mode in Splatoon, and the one I'm actually good at. But in terms of balance I have to choose Tower control above all else for being the most balanced.

jsilva

Inkling Cadet
I voted for all three because I like both TC and RM and I know others really like SZ, and I think in a Splatoon tournament all modes should be represented in some way. However, after I voted I was sad to see that no one voted just for RM (when I cast my vote at least, maybe it'll change when more people vote) since that's my favourite :)

LAX

Pro Squid
NNID
ninfanjohn
i think that splat zones is unbalanced for some maps like saltspray rig (you get locked out too easily) and port mackerel (spawn trapping is easy with beakons)

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
Hmm...

There's a higher demand for all three, yet there hasn't been a single vote for Rainmaker.

Now I know there's people that don't like rainmaker due to how quickly one can either win a match, or how easily people can get wiped, but still...Hmmmm

I'm definitely going to keep note of this.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
A Rainmaker tournament would be a blast to watch. I usually love Rainmaker.
But I had to vote for all three because a skilled player should be able to prove versatility and mastery in overcoming the unique challenges set forth by each mode.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Rainmaker is my favorite mode, but I think TC would be the most balanced for tournaments
Splat Zones is my least favorite mode, though (I'm including turf war when I say that)

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Isn't TC waaay too centralising on Luna Blasters (or blasters in general)? Seriously, you could just take one out right now with no prior experience and print free wins 9/10 matches you use it.

I'd actually say TC is the only mode you don't want to have in a tournament. I'd certainly join one with both Rainmaker and Splat Zones, but tower control is pretty yucky and not fun at all.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
Isn't TC waaay too centralising on Luna Blasters (or blasters in general)? Seriously, you could just take one out right now with no prior experience and print free wins 9/10 matches you use it.

I'd actually say TC is the only mode you don't want to have in a tournament. I'd certainly join one with both Rainmaker and Splat Zones, but tower control is pretty yucky and not fun at all.
Well yeah, but blasters in general are good in not only TC, but the other two modes as well. They're so anti-objective, since you have to respect the burst and trying to not get one shot. I like to think that Chargers are also good on there cause because the enemy will be at one spot, and there's very little areas to run unless they jump off of it.

Not that it's related to anything, but I like to think that it takes a bit of skill to use (unless we're talking about C rank players..then yeah, they're free lol).

So out of curiosity, what mode would you play if there was an individual choice?

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
If there was one choice? Tough choosing between Splat Zones and Rainmaker. Splat Zones feels a bit more competitive/balanced than Rainmaker (bar a few stages), but I'd actually go for Rainmaker simply because it's so much fun.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Rainmaker is by far my favorite mode in Splatoon but I would prefer a tournament that features all three Ranked modes. It would show more skill from the players. The three modes are very different from each other and require different tactics. So it would be a better display of skill and adaption to have players go through all three Ranked modes.

Tuff

Full Squid
NNID
Wolfysmash
Splat Zones is a terrible mess that ends up with one team locking out the other more often than not. Some maps are decent for it but for the most part I personally don't think it's very well-balanced at all.
Rainmaker is better, I think it could be on a list with Tower because it favors different styles but is decently balanced on most maps and getting locked down is much harder because the objective can move anywhere.
Tower Control is probably the most balanced IMO, and even though Blasters are annoying because of their hitboxes wrt the tower and such, all types of playstyles can be viable and there's usually not very many lockouts without extreme cheese.

Templar

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TemplarAnimated
And I by accidentally voted the wrong one, missed the 'for tournament' part and voted tower control, given the time I definitely would say all three since it gives a good mix and gives different weapons advantages, otherwise there would be no/less reason to use certain weapons on certain stages.

Reala

Inkling
NNID
Negrulicious
Anything but Rainmaker. Splat Zones and Tower Control have less gimmicks and more fair maps. Rainmaker is an absolute pain, imo, but fun to play with friends.

Xeze

Inkster Jr.
NNID
XezeMaster
I like to see tournaments with all three. Mode+map counterpicking can be a thing.

If I had to choose only one, I'd probably go with Rainmaker. In my opinion it's the mode where good teamwork pays off the most.

Dual

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Great Zapfish. It's really cozy here!
NNID
chaser1234
If I could only choose one, I'd probably say splatzones. Yeah I know it's preety gimmicky and hard to come back from on some stages like saltspray rig, but those stages in general are gimmicky to all modes (I am not including turf war).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom