• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The ranked battle system is Stupid.

SquidWaifoos

Senior Squid
NNID
stalfosslayer3
"One step forward, two steps backwards" is the quote that most appropriately sums up how ranked battles work.

The whole thing seems based on luck rather than skill. If you're lucky, you'll get on a good team, and have a long winning streak. If you're not-so-lucky, you'll keep getting on bad teams and lose many, many, games.

It's like I'm eternally at b rank. Whenever I get close to Getting back to B+, I lose five battles, and get back to 50 points.

Just wanted to rant about this to vent my anger about how crappy it is. This would have been fine in a game where you don't have teammates, but it's clearly broken in a game like splatoon.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
"One step forward, two steps backwards" is the quote that most appropriately sums up how ranked battles work.

The whole thing seems based on luck rather than skill. If you're lucky, you'll get on a good team, and have a long winning streak. If you're not-so-lucky, you'll keep getting on bad teams and lose many, many, games.

It's like I'm eternally at b rank. Whenever I get close to Getting back to B+, I lose five battles, and get back to 50 points.

Just wanted to rant about this to vent my anger about how crappy it is. This would have been fine in a game where you don't have teammates, but it's clearly broken in a game like splatoon.
Dude man... I completely agree 100% I feel like it's a constant struggle and you are definitely right; your performance is literally only 25% of the team's effort. If you put in 100% of your effort and they put in very little... you're sitting at just over 25% efficiency which very seldom leads to victories. Mind you, I have managed to hold the zones in Blackbelly (my best map to be honest) by myself by abusing a strategy that totally owns the zones. But the fact is, if I were to die in that scenario, the match would essentially be over because I have to respwan, meanwhile my teammates continue to get slaughtered, the zones are taken and by the time I'm back in the game, it's too late. They have full control of everything and damn it.

It's pretty bullshit when you lose because your team can't just keep their distance. you keep dying if you do that... STOP DOING IT

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
But sometimes that's actually a good thing. If it's all chargers on something like Port Mackerel, you could probably do really well. But that's just my experience.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I know the feeling. In my case I can't seem to get past A- 40 and went down back to B(even B-). So basically the only thing I suggest is to use the weapon you're best with and keep trying.

Dude man... I completely agree 100% I feel like it's a constant struggle and you are definitely right; your performance is literally only 25% of the team's effort. If you put in 100% of your effort and they put in very little... you're sitting at just over 25% efficiency which very seldom leads to victories. Mind you, I have managed to hold the zones in Blackbelly (my best map to be honest) by myself by abusing a strategy that totally owns the zones. But the fact is, if I were to die in that scenario, the match would essentially be over because I have to respwan, meanwhile my teammates continue to get slaughtered, the zones are taken and by the time I'm back in the game, it's too late. They have full control of everything and damn it.

It's pretty bullshit when you lose because your team can't just keep their distance. you keep dying if you do that... STOP DOING IT
Same thing happens with me on Skatepark, I have a strategy planned for that stage but unfortunately it doesn't work because it relies on my teammates to defend one of the zones but they keep dying. They literally just respawn and go back to where they were and die again. You end sitting there thinking, "Doing the same thing but expecting a different result will not accomplish anything!"

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Same thing happens with me on Skatepark, I have a strategy planned for that stage but unfortunately it doesn't work because it relies on my teammates to defend one of the zones but they keep dying. They literally just respawn and go back to where they were and die again. You end sitting there thinking, "Doing the same thing but expecting a different result will not accomplish anything!"
The bets possible thing you can do for your team in Splat zones is not to be a hero and take out opposing team members, but to simply stay alive.

Staying alive tops even inking the zone in terms of usefulness. 3 teammates die, 1 enemy inkling is dead. It's now 3 on 1 in the zone... Get the hell out of there. Toss a bomb, and high tail it out of there to an area that's nearby and when your teammates jump to you, they can fire back at people chasing you. Being a point to jump to makes things waaaaay easier for your team.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
"One step forward, two steps backwards" indeed. I´ve reached 94 and 96 points in B+ twice, just short of 1 victory to get to A-. Then, awesome loosing streak all the way to C+. Both times. Then the long walk back to B+ begins. Again.

You really should get some points based on performance, even when loosing. If you win because your team did all the work and you sucked, take only half the points of a win and learn to play. If you loose because you were a killing machine but your team was braindead, take 3 points, or just don´t loose any.

Also, the ranking system in the results screen is messed up, only kills are taken into account, while staying alive is much more important. How can it be better to get a 11K-11D record than a 10K-0D? Deaths should be factored somehow in the results.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
Im still trying to get back to C+, I was disheartened when I dropped back to C because my team couldn't do a simple task.

"Don't go over th-- where are you going? Come back!"

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Im still trying to get back to C+, I was disheartened when I dropped back to C because my team couldn't do a simple task.

"Don't go over th-- where are you going? Come back!"
The same happened to me just yesterday. I was holding the pass to the SplatZone in Urchin Underpass while my team respawned. When they reached my location I unleash a Killer Wail to push the other team back so we can all enter together the zone and take it back. To my horror, the 3 of them went through the narrow corridor on the left. By the time they reached the splatzone the enemy team had already recovered from the KW and was ready to kill them all again :(

Worst yet, I made a run through the splatzone in Saltspray Rig with a charger. I blazed through the splatzone to the upper part of the map so my team could jump to me. They did! I started going to the splatzone to take it and..."guys? Guys?!?!" They were all splatting the upper zone to gain meter. Some seconds later the enemy counter reached 0 and we lost without even trying to retake the zone.

Cereal

Full Squid
NNID
Xyvone
I'm sorta fed up. I always win a couple of games and usually end up one win away from B- and then I go all the way back down to C. I honestly don't know if its me or my team because I know I'm not the best player

Also, the ranking system in the results screen is messed up, only kills are taken into account, while staying alive is much more important. How can it be better to get a 11K-11D record than a 10K-0D? Deaths should be factored somehow in the results.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this, they should implement a net death/kill system instead since staying alive and controlling the zones is just about the best thing you can do

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I wish we could play Splat Zones without it being ranked.. for one, I'd love to be able to play it with my friends. The points system adds a layer of stress I don't really enjoy too much especially when my team decides to be terrible.

Crucifigo

Pro Squid
NNID
Crucifigo
I'm a middling B- right now, I've been doing great since I can two-shot everything with my Deco but some people just play really badly or you get a ****ty team. I think the matchup system should take weapons into account to create a better balance.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I'm a middling B- right now, I've been doing great since I can two-shot everything with my Deco but some people just play really badly or you get a ****ty team. I think the matchup system should take weapons into account to create a better balance.
That's a pretty interesting idea, actually. I can see it leading to a lot less frustration.
As for my rank, I can't remember if I'm B or B-.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
People inking the top part of Saltspray Rig is actually a really annoying thing. It's in rotation right now and I'm losing like 3/4 matches here, because they just wander off to the top and let the enemies take the zone...

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
I hit A+99 to B+60 at some point. but overall am back to A+ but overall its not much of a big deal when you hit A+99, in fact its pretty much telling you you're better then the max Rank.

I do very hope they giving us a other rank system for teaming up in a squid squad.

Teeples

Full Squid
NNID
Flow_Teeples
Every game with ELO works this way. Over a long period of time, the matches with the worse / better team will even out. It might not seem like this since humans inherently have a negative attribution bias, meaning we can recall negative events more easily and readily than positive events. The better player over time will win more and be moved to their deserved rank.

Jaymz

Inkling
NNID
jaymz26
Maybe it will get a little better in August when we will have the option of picking teams. I do agree with you though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom