• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Regressor Presents: Splatoon 64!

Ever imagined seeing Splatoon on an older console? Wonder what it might be like if Splatoon had be around to be enjoyed for many years prior? Well here's a chance to see just what that might have looked like! Meet The Regressor, an artist who "regressivly" models and textures "contemporary characters inspired by the 3D limitations of the Nintendo 64, PlayStation, and Dreamcast video games." His most recent project was to take Splatoon and give the world a look at what Splatoon 64 might have been.

The story behind Splatoon 64? "Splatoon 64 revolves around the first generation of turf wars between the Inklings and Octolings. The 4 player multiplayer battles pit 2 squids against 2 Octolings. Players could unlock additional weapons and gear to alter a variety of stats." There are more excellent pictures as well showing the Inkling and Octoling as well as models of them both in squid and octopus forms. To see the rest of this epic art and to see his other works check out The Regressor on Tumblr.

Comments

Love it. This sends a message. People love Splatoon and it was only announced a year ago. Look how far its come. We wouldn't be here if it we didn't love it and I'm sure that can be said for work like Splatoon 64. I approve.

Funnily enough, this isn't the first time someone got the idea to make something like this. Someone actually made a full-fledged actually playable game of Splatoon 64 before the regressor's version came to be and before Splatoon in general was released! Vinesauce covered it here:
(may be NSFW due to language).

Comparing the two, there's a lot of similarities, namely the inkling models seem to largely be the same in both.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, this isn't the first time someone got the idea to make something like this. Someone actually made a full-fledged actually playable game of Splatoon 64 before the regressor's version came to be and before Splatoon in general was released! Vinesauce covered it here:
(may be NSFW due to language).

Comparing the two, there's a lot of similarities, namely the inkling models seem to largely be the same in both.
Well the one from the video seems much taller than Regressor's. The stance is also much different. One last thing, for the one in the video the eyes and "mask" take up most of the face compared to Regressor's.

"Like Goldeneye but with Squids 11/10" ~IGN
"There's not as much of us" ~Polygon
"YOU'RE A KID NOW YOU'RE A SQUID NOW" ~Escapist
"What a Time to be Alive" ~Nintendo Power

Well, the developers probably wouldn't put their in-game models on the cover, but apart from that - WOW, I'm speechless right now. I didn't even know projects like this existed :o

Man this looks nice. He really went all out! And that Vinesauce video was amazing too.I love how much people are into this game.

Am I crazy in saying that if this actually existed, I would buy it in a heartbeat?
Oh I would too.

Ever imagined seeing Splatoon on an older console? Wonder what it might be like if Splatoon had be around to be enjoyed for many years prior? Well here's a chance to see just what that might have looked like! Meet The Regressor, an artist who "regressivly" models and textures "contemporary characters inspired by the 3D limitations of the Nintendo 64, PlayStation, and Dreamcast video games." His most recent project was to take Splatoon and give the world a look at what Splatoon 64 might have been.

The story behind Splatoon 64? "Splatoon 64 revolves around the first generation of turf wars between the Inklings and Octolings. The 4 player multiplayer battles pit 2 squids against 2 Octolings. Players could unlock additional weapons and gear to alter a variety of stats." There are more excellent pictures as well showing the Inkling and Octoling as well as models of them both in squid and octopus forms. To see the rest of this epic art and to see his other works check out The Regressor on Tumblr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom