• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

The Sloshing Machine Discussion Thread

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
How about we change the title and have this thread be the Sloshing Machine discussion thread? :D

SO! I messed around with the Sloshing Machine in the test range with some run speed, AND OMG. I love this thing! So fast, holy cow. My gamepad broke before the Sloshing Machine got it's speed buff during Sheldon's Picks, so I remember the Sloshing Machine simply as "the slosher, but slower and kinda carpy." But wow, what a change of mind I just had. Definitely an instant fav!

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
Might be the best main weapon in the game. Same range as the rapid blaster, no jumping RNG, similar if not faster firing speed, faster strafing speed, more damage from indirect hits, a small "blast" that carries through the entire travel distance, and massive amounts of ink on landing.

In exchange for what? 14 shots instead of the rapid's 15? 77 damage directs instead of 85? The only real downside is that the "blast" reaches around corners less, but even then, it puts down tons of ink instead. This thing is busted, I'm calling it early.

Range:
Machine on left, rapid on right.

Run speed (Walking backwards, beginning from the same place and time as the dummy.):
Machine

Rapid

Blast radii
Machine: A little blast that follows the projectile throughout the entire range.

Rapid: A wide blast only at the maximum range

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
So it feels like they buffed it's ink spread and fire rate slighty, but that could just be my imagination. Hopefully somebody will test that. Regardless, with all these obstacle filled maps it's definitely more effective in this game! I'm not feeling the kit however, namely the Stingray. Once the Neo version get's here though, oohhhh yes! ^_^

How about we change the title and have this thread be the Sloshing Machine discussion thread? :D
I second this idea!

Jam

Inkling
Don't want to be the party pooper but it seems to just be worse than the regular old slosher. The range is pretty much the same (the blast makes the range difference look bigger than it is.) Plus it just has a worse kit but most importantly its a 3 hit kill outside the blast.

On the upside it still makes that satisfying blaster sound when you get a direct.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
^Yeah I honestly think this weapon sucked in the first game but now it sucks even more with its new kit lol

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I loved this in Splatoon 1 (especially with the point sensor), but I guess I'll have to wait for the inevitable second loadout since I don't play any weapon with the Stingray as its special...

I do have to say that I have come across some very good Slosher players online so far. Seems to be a more effective weapon than in Splatoon 1.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I loved this in Splatoon 1 (especially with the point sensor), but I guess I'll have to wait for the inevitable second loadout since I don't play any weapon with the Stingray as its special...

I do have to say that I have come across some very good Slosher players online so far. Seems to be a more effective weapon than in Splatoon 1.
So I booted up Splatoon 1 alongside Splatoon 2 for a direct comparison, and there's actually no difference at all (so it was just my imagination lel). Like the Tri-Slosher it must feel better due to the game around it being changed with more favorable map designs and other weapons getting nerfed. Even having Stingray in it's current form, I'm enjoying the weapon a lot more than I did in the first game, just feels so much more powerful!

Also it's funny how there are wildly different opinions in this thread. I definitely don't think it's the best weapon, but it's definitely not trash either. The advantages over the regular Slosher is that it's better at hitting behind stuff (much more relevant in Splatoon 2), it has an even wider hitbox, a tad more range, and it has better mobility while Sloshing. The firerate is slightly slower and it's not always a 2-hit kill, but the 3-hit kill is not that bad when you can outrange and outmaneuver your opponent aswell as hit them from places they can't hit you.

Nintendoer

Inkling
NNID
WakerOfWindsHD
Switch Friend Code
SW-7745-4331-2226
The Sloshing Machine feels way better in this game for some reason. It feels faster and just more satisfying to use. But why, oh wy, did they give it the Sting Ray? Of all things.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
So I booted up Splatoon 1 alongside Splatoon 2 for a direct comparison, and there's actually no difference at all (so it was just my imagination lel). Like the Tri-Slosher it must feel better due to the game around it being changed with more favorable map designs and other weapons getting nerfed. Even having Stingray in it's current form, I'm enjoying the weapon a lot more than I did in the first game, just feels so much more powerful!

Also it's funny how there are wildly different opinions in this thread. I definitely don't think it's the best weapon, but it's definitely not trash either. The advantages over the regular Slosher is that it's better at hitting behind stuff (much more relevant in Splatoon 2), it has an even wider hitbox, a tad more range, and it has better mobility while Sloshing. The firerate is slightly slower and it's not always a 2-hit kill, but the 3-hit kill is not that bad when you can outrange and outmaneuver your opponent aswell as hit them from places they can't hit you.
There is one definite difference between the 2, and that's the vortex always dealing 38.0 damage whereas in Splatoon 1 the outer vortex dealt a considerable amount of less damage than the inner vortex (which is closer to the actual shot). It's the same changes seen on the Blasters and Bombs, the non-direct damage is a constant number regardless of distance from the explosion, so Rapid always deals 35.0 on indirects, even if the shot was at the maximum range of the explosion damage. It's part of the reason why Rapid is so strong and why you get finished off by bombs in so many weird ways.

As for this weapon, I've fallen in love with it. Autobombs are fantastic and score too many splats. I kind of expect to see them nerfed a little bit in some way, whether they shrink the detection field or make them detonate faster during the chase. Stingray is actually quite a good special, I got more assists and splats from it then I'd ever want to admit and it does a good job of chip damage and surprise splats. The kit synergises with the Machine in ways I never expected. Combining that with favourable maps for the weapon and the removal of Damage and Defence and you got quite the formidable weapon. It no longer has to be super stealthy as it gets splats quite reliably and definitely has an improved ink coverage which helps manoeuvrability. I got quite a few triple splats and never felt hopelessly outclassed with it against other weapons. It handles Inkjet users fairly well and destroys Ink Armor pretty quickly too.

I don't want or need the Neo, it may come with an arguably better special, but I don't want to give up the great Autobomb in exchange for a sub weapon that I feel is fairly useless for the Machine (not to mention that Autobombs partially do the same job in how they function). I've been able to make the Stingray work quite well, and as a special that isn't key to big pushes I can sacrifice using it for a Rainmaker push and letting others use their specials. I occassionally used Stingray at bad times, but that is purely my fault and something I'll ensure doesn't happen too much in the future. This weapon made my session tonight really enjoyable, something that's been lost in the current meta that makes a vast majority of matches stale, repetitive and quite frankly boring. Here's to the Sloshing Machine's arrival and long may it reign!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I never touched the Sloshing Machine in Splatoon 1 on account of all the horror stories I'd heard about it. That the consensus here is that it's improved considerably has my interest piqued. Any advice as to how to use it best (in the fray, steathy, support, etc.)?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
There is one definite difference between the 2, and that's the vortex always dealing 38.0 damage whereas in Splatoon 1 the outer vortex dealt a considerable amount of less damage than the inner vortex (which is closer to the actual shot). It's the same changes seen on the Blasters and Bombs, the non-direct damage is a constant number regardless of distance from the explosion, so Rapid always deals 35.0 on indirects, even if the shot was at the maximum range of the explosion damage. It's part of the reason why Rapid is so strong and why you get finished off by bombs in so many weird ways.

As for this weapon, I've fallen in love with it. Autobombs are fantastic and score too many splats. I kind of expect to see them nerfed a little bit in some way, whether they shrink the detection field or make them detonate faster during the chase. Stingray is actually quite a good special, I got more assists and splats from it then I'd ever want to admit and it does a good job of chip damage and surprise splats. The kit synergises with the Machine in ways I never expected. Combining that with favourable maps for the weapon and the removal of Damage and Defence and you got quite the formidable weapon. It no longer has to be super stealthy as it gets splats quite reliably and definitely has an improved ink coverage which helps manoeuvrability. I got quite a few triple splats and never felt hopelessly outclassed with it against other weapons. It handles Inkjet users fairly well and destroys Ink Armor pretty quickly too.

I don't want or need the Neo, it may come with an arguably better special, but I don't want to give up the great Autobomb in exchange for a sub weapon that I feel is fairly useless for the Machine (not to mention that Autobombs partially do the same job in how they function). I've been able to make the Stingray work quite well, and as a special that isn't key to big pushes I can sacrifice using it for a Rainmaker push and letting others use their specials. I occassionally used Stingray at bad times, but that is purely my fault and something I'll ensure doesn't happen too much in the future. This weapon made my session tonight really enjoyable, something that's been lost in the current meta that makes a vast majority of matches stale, repetitive and quite frankly boring. Here's to the Sloshing Machine's arrival and long may it reign!
That's not entirely correct, the vortex always did 38 damage in Splatoon 1 (bar defense up) no matter what, doesn't even have fall off damage when above the opponent. Bombs also never had variable damage, they either insta-kill or deal a set amount of damage, generally 30. You are right about the Rapid Blaster though.

Also, how can you say a sub that let's you see the opponent through obstacles is useless on a weapon that can attack around obstacles, I mean the synergy is pretty self explanatory! And then of course there's the general usefulness of tagging, like how not only you know where the enemy is but your team aswell. I do agree that auto-bomb is the overall superior sub, but the gap in their effectiveness isn't nearly as big as the gap between Stingray and Splat Bomb Rush, so that's why I'm greatly looking forward to the Neo.

My main issue with this weapon having Stingray is that it's a close-mid range fighter, so you have to take yourself completely out of the action to use it's special, since otherwise you're just asking to get splatted. Basically Inkstrike all over again, only the effect you're taking yourself out of the action for is even less impactful yet leaves you vulnerable longer. I'm not saying Stingray is useless and that you shouldn't use the vanilla indefinitely or anything, infact more power to ya! I just hope you wont think less of me for jumping ship once the Neo arrives hehe.

The Sloshing Machine feels way better in this game for some reason. It feels faster and just more satisfying to use. But why, oh wy, did they give it the Sting Ray? Of all things.
Probably going for a nowhere to run nowhere to hide theme, makes sense but eh.

I never touched the Sloshing Machine in Splatoon 1 on account of all the horror stories I'd heard about it. That the consensus here is that it's improved considerably has my interest piqued. Any advice as to how to use it best (in the fray, steathy, support, etc.)?
The terrain is your best friend, always take of advantage of it!

Last edited:

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Don't want to be the party pooper but it seems to just be worse than the regular old slosher. The range is pretty much the same (the blast makes the range difference look bigger than it is.) Plus it just has a worse kit but most importantly its a 3 hit kill outside the blast.

On the upside it still makes that satisfying blaster sound when you get a direct.
Use Run Speed Up. it's EXTREMELY fast now.

Jam

Inkling
Use Run Speed Up. it's EXTREMELY fast now.
I gave it a go with 2 mains and 5 subs of run speed Good fun definitely more satisfying than other sloshers and the directs are not hard to hit. BUT i think what i said first still stands. Though It might have a niche.

That said i find it more fun than the regular slosher ill probably use it more. Cause were all playing to have fun at the end of the day (i hope).

Btw im sure almost everyone knows this but for anyone who doesn't aiming at the feet pretty much guarantees a direct

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
It's kind of nightmarish on Tower Control. That extra range and widened spiral attack mean that the small little pole on the tower you can use for cover becomes useless, and it has more than enough reach to hit you hard.

Momani

Inkling
I've fallen in love with this weapon. I just love the sound when you get a direct hit and it just feels right for me.
You retain so much speed when shooting and you also shoot straight while jumping

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I gave it a go with 2 mains and 5 subs of run speed Good fun definitely more satisfying than other sloshers and the directs are not hard to hit. BUT i think what i said first still stands. Though It might have a niche.

That said i find it more fun than the regular slosher ill probably use it more. Cause were all playing to have fun at the end of the day (i hope).

Btw im sure almost everyone knows this but for anyone who doesn't aiming at the feet pretty much guarantees a direct
I did explain the Sloshing Machine's advantages all of which are actually relevant in this game since the Slosher's kits this time don't overshadow them. In Splatoon 1, the Vanilla Slosher's Burst bombs made the SM's better range n hitbox mute, and then the Soda Slosher stole the best parts of the SM's kits.

I'm also finding the SM to be more fun. I've been playing the regular Slosher for so long now that it's starting to get a bit stale. Once the Neo comes out, that's gonna be my new main!

Also, how does aiming at the feet make it more likely to get a direct? I mean the weapon has 100% accuracy.

pinksenkestu

Inkling
NNID
pinksenketsu
Switch Friend Code
SW-4760-2968-3007
I'm loving the sloshing machine again. I immediately fell in love with it and maxed turf out on it in the first game! It was the only thing I used in team paradise tryout and went undefeated with it during and made the team. If you are good at spacing and maneuvering around people this weapon really shines. Sometimes it even one shots people if they barely step in ink its incredible. I'm so happy people blew up my notifs to tell me it was releasing, its definitely good in the right hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom