• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Splatoon 2 Inkbrush...

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
Despite using the Inkbrush in Splatoon 1 almost exclusively I simply cannot make it work consistently in Splatoon 2. In my opinion it is even worse than the Carbon Roller Deco from the first game.

The Splashdown special is no Kraken substitute and makes no sense on the shortest ranged weapon in the game. The Kraken was a true panic button while the Splashdown is an easily escapable special especially when everyone will be moving backward instinctively against an Inkbrush to begin with.

The new dualie class and autobomb renders all my stealth skills useless since one can literally dodge roll out of the way on reaction and the other detects me even in squid form.

The Ink Resistance ability that the Inkbrush relies on is now a stackable instead of a powerful shoe exclusive.

The Joy-Con ZR button also seem much harder to mash compared to the Wii U gamepad, and I don't know whether it is better on the Pro Controller. I am very comfortable with separate Joy-Cons for every other weapon so it is kind of silly to pay $70+ for one weapon.

They should have just replaced the Inkstrike with Tenta Missiles or give it a more cohesive kit like Curling Bomb/Curling Bomb Launcher and adjusted the main weapon so that it is not completely countered by dualies.

mvsdkrocks

Inkster Jr.
I tried playing Inkbrush in Splatoon 2, but honestly I kinda prefer the Octobrush more. I think in this game the Inkbrush relies more on its quick movement speed to focus on painting the ground and not go for splats too often. I think any weapon with even slight range could counter this thing, but maybe you could use the splat bombs to try and prevent escape and corner your foes. But I think the main strat would be to help ink turf by rapidly spamming ZR, (Also on that note I totally agree even with a pro controller the rapid ZR presses still kinda wear you down after a while) then being able to make a quick getaway with the fantastic run speed. If your foe tries to follow you away you can hide for a sec, wait till they get close and then catch them by surprise with a splashdown. I feel like you could even use the Inkbrush in modes like Tower control and Rainmaker to quickly get to the center of the action and secure a path for your team before anyone else could get there.

But hey, I play mostly octobrush (Herobrush Replica) so what do I know ;)

On the note of autobombs though, I think they're kinda weak once you know you can kinda just walk away and they only follow you for a short bit. Try running ninja squid if auto bombs keep giving away your location, could make it easier to get away without being detected.

tanzinyagrill

Inkling
I find the main weapon to be more effective at killing but the kits are horrendous. Splashdown has no value beyond spamming it on the objective to mediocre effect. Splat Bombs also remain a mediocre bomb choice, especially in the face of Octobrush and its Autobombs.

The Inkbrush Nouveau manages to be even more useless. It gets Ink Mines once again which as we know don't help it one bit, and Baller, while debatably better than Splashdown, isn't worth the loss of Splat Bombs since you are forfeiting all ranged options.
The Octobrush Nouveau gets Beakons but it also gets Tenta Missiles which allow it to get away with having no assault sub like the Kraken did for it in the first game. The distribution of Beakons is overall kinda bad as far as the currently released / returning weapons go so I feel like it's pretty good, this is kind of a side thought though.

mvsdkrocks

Inkster Jr.
The Octobrush Nouveau gets Beakons but it also gets Tenta Missiles which allow it to get away with having no assault sub like the Kraken did for it in the first game. The distribution of Beakons is overall kinda bad as far as the currently released / returning weapons go so I feel like it's pretty good, this is kind of a side thought though.
So is the Octobrush Nouveau more of a team support weapon? I feel like it could be a good asset to a team with the ability to move pretty quick and place beakons for the team to jump to. As well as being able to apply pressure to the enemy with tenta missles (Tenta missles are by far my fav. special in Splatoon 2).

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
Well I'm glad it's not just me feeling this way.
I've basically played nothing but the Permanent Inkbrush in Splat1, and I've been using the Inkbrush in Splat2. I was doing okay with it for a little while, but now that I'm back in S/S+ matches, I can't keep up. I used to put 2 mains of dmg up, although I could sometimes get away with just 1, but now that I can't put ANY dmg up... I can't get the kills that I used to be able to get, half the time I can't even get the trades...
I don't mind the kit too much. At least, I definitely like having splat bombs (although I wouldn't mind burst bombs for easier mobility).

But dang, the other inkbrush kit is way worse. At least inkmines have had a buff so it's not as terrible, but it still isn't any good for an inkbrush. And the baller is... nice I guess? But it isn't a good panic special, you get shot out of it too easily. Although, none of the specials in this game seem to be good for panic pushing...

If Nintendo could just adjust the main weapon to have either more damage, or hit more (such as when you swing once and they get hit twice sometimes, just make that an every time thing). Or maybe a bit more range or something?

I dunno, I know people will tell me it's not for splatting and that I should use the octobrush if I wanna go for kills (which in my opinion, that thing is ridiculously op now), but I just can't seem to do as well with it. It's too slow for me. I try to do more support stuff with the inkbrush, but sometimes you just gotta be able to get kills, and it's not able to do that anymore.

I know I'm probably just repeating myself, but I'm so dang mad right now >.< It's always been a struggle to do well with a brush that isn't meant for competitive, but now I feel like Nintendo is just slapping me in the face and forcing me to use octobrush instead, and I really don't wanna do that...

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
Just wondering, but I've been using Splashdown as my 'Panic Button'- simple as running away with your brush after the attack has been finished. Does anyone else do this? And I can't recall if the splashdown stops you for a moment after its done....can anyone confirm that?

Oddly enough the Inkbrush is my most successful weapon so far in terms of the points it has on it (If I recall its currently in the Red- need to double check...)....but that was when I was mostly using it in earlier level brackets. I need to test it out again since I'm at LVL 20 just to see how much success I can have with it.

All of that aside...I do feel the pain of not having damage up. I had my White Anchor Tee with triple roll of damage up (no cheats, mind you), and that shirt was a godsend with my Inkbrushes. I feel that i have to be EXTRA cunning and sneaky now in getting any splats in this time around, since more swings of the brush are now required than what I am used to previously. I feel the Inkbrush just isn't going to be good for offensive attacks so much anymore, as it stands. Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump are going to be the best things to go along with the kits for now....not that it changes much for me- I always played stealth with it.

Oh, and the joycon ZR button actually feels better for me than the Wii U's did. Less pain in my fingers, and easier to pull out rapid swings. Maybe it's just me though...

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've never been able to make it work in either game, but I can say for certain I very much like the Octobrush in the new game.

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
Yeah it seems like the octobrush has a wider spread at least, and it feels a bit faster, but I never played it that much so I'm not sure of all the changes.

But I know that everyone seems to like it, I played a match with 6 octobrushes in it...

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
The only thing about the inkbrush is that you have to play more baity. Simplified, that just means you let your opponent move, while making as little of a trail as you can, just make them paranoid of that any ink splotch could have you in there and have them ink up instead of going for objective. As for the special, it could have been better, but does provide a useful ink refilling tool when you close in on a single target only having them back in a corner to escape death. Throw a bomb their way and finish the job then.

-Edit- Just saw the issue with auto bombs, yeah, good luck with that. That's the only thing stopping me from going on a rampage with brushes again.

Although the Octobrush does seem way too beefy right now, hope that gets worked on.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Having more time with the game, I have encountered some great Inkbrush users who put in great work. Buuuuuuuuuuuut most of the time, they just can't keep up and contribute like most weapons can. And this is between both ranked and turf nowadays. In almost every case where one team has an inkbrush, chances are they will lose, kinda like the Aerospray now that I think about it. :p

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
Yeah usually that's the case. I used to pride myself in how I well I was able to use the brush, but seeing how much I'm struggling now, I wonder if I was ever really that good...
But I've at least seen enough to know what makes a brush user good or bad, and unfortunately most of them aren't the best... A lot of people think you can play it like the octobrushes and just rush in, but like Holidaze said, you gotta be stealthy with it. Usually it can be a great weapon for flanking, or just jump from above and you get instant chaos lol
But now, it really does seem like you gotta just find a small patch of ink off to the side and start sharking... Kind of unfortunate.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
But I've at least seen enough to know what makes a brush user good or bad, and unfortunately most of them aren't the best... A lot of people think you can play it like the octobrushes and just rush in, but like Holidaze said, you gotta be stealthy with it.
Thats really it. Everyone whos less experienced with the brush wants to rush up to everyone without a 2nd thought and take out players. In their face, even. Too much aggression with the current brush will just leave you splatted.

Maybe some people are just used to having the handy panic special on hand too (Splatoon 1 with Bubbler and Kraken), to where playing sneaky and cautious is less of a thought. I'm not sure, but seeing how I've watched SOME inkbrush users play....it looks that way.

On a positive note- I did manage more than 10 splats in a recent turf war or two with the inkbrush, at LVL 20. Not against shoddy teams either. So yeah, its still workable. Just not as easy as some of the current weapons out there...Which is likely going to make this weapon a rare sight out on the field again....

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Despite using the Inkbrush in Splatoon 1 almost exclusively I simply cannot make it work consistently in Splatoon 2. In my opinion it is even worse than the Carbon Roller Deco from the first game.

The Splashdown special is no Kraken substitute and makes no sense on the shortest ranged weapon in the game. The Kraken was a true panic button while the Splashdown is an easily escapable special especially when everyone will be moving backward instinctively against an Inkbrush to begin with.

The new dualie class and autobomb renders all my stealth skills useless since one can literally dodge roll out of the way on reaction and the other detects me even in squid form.

The Ink Resistance ability that the Inkbrush relies on is now a stackable instead of a powerful shoe exclusive.

The Joy-Con ZR button also seem much harder to mash compared to the Wii U gamepad, and I don't know whether it is better on the Pro Controller. I am very comfortable with separate Joy-Cons for every other weapon so it is kind of silly to pay $70+ for one weapon.

They should have just replaced the Inkstrike with Tenta Missiles or give it a more cohesive kit like Curling Bomb/Curling Bomb Launcher and adjusted the main weapon so that it is not completely countered by dualies.
Well. When I said people were pissing on my main all over I wasn't wrong.

Splashdown is better used as a failsafe super jump, since you're a painter and you'll need to be all over, but it could work as a DECENT panic button. Its short range can be decently offset by the bomb, using it to force players towards you like the Corocoro. Rolling is fast and efficient, and the dominant-hand problem is a lot less present.
Finally, playing with the sensitivity is key, and stick control might be better than motion control here, making it easier to get a direct shot.

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
Well. When I said people were pissing on my main all over I wasn't wrong.

Splashdown is better used as a failsafe super jump, since you're a painter and you'll need to be all over, but it could work as a DECENT panic button. Its short range can be decently offset by the bomb, using it to force players towards you like the Corocoro. Rolling is fast and efficient, and the dominant-hand problem is a lot less present.
Finally, playing with the sensitivity is key, and stick control might be better than motion control here, making it easier to get a direct shot.
Bombs cost 70% ink and smart players will know that it is a bait when they see a brush user throw it. If they actually move forward it is usually because they have Ink Armor, have Splashdown charged, or are using a weapon that beats the brush at close range (Carbon Roller/Tri-Slosher).

GearWax

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
KoopaTroopaBloop
Bombs cost 70% ink and smart players will know that it is a bait when they see a brush user throw it. If they actually move forward it is usually because they have Ink Armor, have Splashdown charged, or are using a weapon that beats the brush at close range (Carbon Roller/Tri-Slosher).
It's worked fairly well for me. Also, I'm not suggesting it as bait, more as a way to prevent them from backing out of your range.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
It's worked fairly well for me. Also, I'm not suggesting it as bait, more as a way to prevent them from backing out of your range.
I can confirm that it's worked for me also. It gives them very little room to escape in some situations and if your splatted durring a face off- the bomb may do its job for you. Makes for a great trap overall, or for fleshing people out who are beyond your range.

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
It worked for me until high A rank. Now in S+ rank it is damn near impossible when like everyone uses Tri-Slosher Ink Armor spam, Octobrush with Autobombs, or Splattershot Pro.

Nevermind trying to trap someone with Splat Bombs, I am getting trapped by permanently armored buckets with an army of robot bombs following me. :rolleyes:

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
It worked for me until high A rank. Now in S+ rank it is damn near impossible when like everyone uses Tri-Slosher Ink Armor spam, Octobrush with Autobombs, or Splattershot Pro.

Nevermind trying to trap someone with Splat Bombs, I am getting trapped by permanently armored buckets with an army of robot bombs following me. :rolleyes:
Pretty much same here. I finally made it to S+ in everything, so I don't get a break anymore from the rush of buckets lol
I know they've nerfed the tri-slosher (kinda), but do you think they'll nerf it a bit more? I'm thinkin either shorter range, slower fire rate (which probably isn't likely to happen since it'd make it more like the regular slosher), or less damage (< hopefully this if nothing else). I've always hated buckets cause of the damage they can do over walls and crap, but this is makin me seriously tired of this game...

I agree that it's hard to use bombs as bait in S+. I still end up getting more kills with bombs than my main though... :/ Kinda disappointing, since I've mostly used sub and special weapons to support the actual brush, not the other way around >.<

Belial

Full Squid
I actually prefer splatdown on my short range weapons in case someone sneaks up on me I just pop it and SAFE! However I don't main these. I find octobrush to be a touch OP feeling, I can't figure out how to deal with them with my Dualies.

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
Ah, yeah duelies vs octobrush, the brush will probably win most of the time. It's kinda like with carbon and sploosh. You either gotta catch em by surprise or just hope your aim is good and get a trade. I'd suggest if you run across one, try rolling back and try to reposition. I haven't played duelies too much yet, though, so I'm not sure how well it'll work in practice...
At the very least, rolling to the side won't work because of the wide spread the octobrush has

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom