• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

"The Switch is not USB-C compliant, and overdraws some USB-PD power supplies by 300%" (x-post)

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
  • This is not my post and I take no credit for providing any of the information herein, this is just to spread the awareness of the the issue to those who might not know. I didn't see it here so I thought to spread the word.

• The thread on r/NintendoSwitch.
Edit: People keep asking what they can use safely. I am not an expert, nor the Author, only a middle person for this information. Personally I am playing it safe until more information is known and using first party only for power. When it comes to power bricks I can do is offer this quote from the write ups: "Although long in tooth, the Innergie is one of the few chargers that will actually properly power the Nintendo Switch and Dock. It is a USB-PD "v1.0" supply -- meaning it was designed around the 5v/12v/20v levels. (12v was split to 9v/15v in "v2.0".) However, because it was USB-C compliant (followed the darn spec) and robustly engineered, it will work with the Switch even though it came out nearly two years before the Switch was released. (Hooray!) Innergie had the foresight to add 15v as an "optional and extra" voltage level and now it reaps the rewards. (It also has $3k $1mil in connected device insurance, so I can recommend it."

TL;DR The USB-C protocols in the Nintendo Switch do not "play nice" with third party products and could possibly be related to the bricking issues.

Nathan K has done some testing and the results certainly add to the discussion of console bricking and third party accessories. Nathan K does comment in the third link that attempts to be proprietary about USB-C kind of undermines the whole point of standardized protocols.

This quote from the fourth link is sums it up neatly:

"The +Nintendo Switch Dock #USB #TypeC power supply is not USB-PD spec compliant. As a result it does not "play nice" with other #USBC devices. This means you should strongly consider only using the Nintendo Switch Dock adapter only with the Nintendo Switch (and Dock).

Additionally, it also seems the Nintendo Switch Dock does not "play nice" with other USB-PD chargers. This means you're forced to use a Nintendo-brand power supply."

Edit: Found one where he goes even
deeper:
First part:
Second part:
Additional:

I first came across this from someone else's Reddit post and can't remember whom to credit for bringing to these write ups to my attention.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Ouch, this is disconcerting.

Wonder if this means we'll certainly have a (compliant) hardware refresh in the future.

But I'm a little confused on a minor detail: does this mean my other devices face a possible danger when charged by the Switch's branded usb-c cable or usb-c psu?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Nintendo! *laugh track*

Ansible, I assume you're in the clear with the USB-C cables, I've been using a random cable to link my Switch and dock for months with no ill effect, this defect likely only affects the switch itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom