• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Tri-Slosher is STILL op, people.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
I'm very surprised people think that one patch actually killed the Tri-Slosher, because it sure as heck didn't. It still splats enemies in 0 seconds flat. To give you an idea of what I mean, I played a game of rainmaker today (it was actually the first time I used it since the patch), and I STILL got 15 kills, most of them were in just one life! Plus, I'm usually a pretty mediocre player and I don't normally get crazy kill counts, but it's a piece of cake with the Tri-Slosher! I mean for one, Nintendo BARLEY changed it's damage output (I mean c'mon, 62.0 to 52.0? That's it?), and it's still got crazy coverage and speed. Of course, I think everyone just thought it was dead with the nerf and now nobody uses it anymore. So basically, the nerf did nothing and it tricked people into thinking it did something. So I ask you, dear friends of Squidboards, by does no one realize this?

(SF)Josiah

Inkling
NNID
RoscoTheHoopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-6608-6335-4112
I know. I loved that weapon before the patch, and immediately after the patch, I started using it. I completely kicked squid butt with it. Even now it's the weapon I've won the most rounds with. I'm not at the "Super-Fresh!!" rank with anything else.

(SF)Josiah

Inkling
NNID
RoscoTheHoopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-6608-6335-4112
Pretty sure I once got 18 or so splats with it in one round too. (It was ranked.)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Hah. The Tri-Slosher is neither overpowered or popular these days. It still sees use, but to no serious degree. As you can see elsewhere on this forum, the Tri-Slosher hasn't consistently appeared in the top 100 on the League leaderboards for weeks on end. If top players aren't using it, how "OP" can it be?
https://squidboards.com/threads/splatoon-2-meta-weapons-summary-10-21-10-27.31974/
Well, maybe it's just OP to me then. I'm a close range player anyway. And I'm pretty sure top players don't use it because they know how saltmaking it is.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Well, maybe it's just OP to me then. I'm a close range player anyway. And I'm pretty sure top players don't use it because they know how saltmaking it is.
Top players use what wins matches, hence why the ever-versatile Splattershot is consistently the number 1 weapon. Before the nerf, there were many pro teams consisting of 3 Tri-Sloshers and a Rapid Blaster, and they won more often than not because that was one of the best possible teams. The fact that the weapon has all but vanished from common usage at the highest levels of play should tell you something.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Top players use what wins matches, hence why the ever-versatile Splattershot is consistently the number 1 weapon. Before the nerf, there were many pro teams consisting of 3 Tri-Sloshers and a Rapid Blaster, and they won more often than not because that was one of the best possible teams. The fact that the weapon has all but vanished from common usage at the highest levels of play should tell you something.
Hey, I'm not trying to get people to start using the Tri-Slosher again (I hate it with a burning passion). I just don't understand why people though the nerf changed it in the slightest. I mean, in what ways is it worse than before the patch?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Hey, I'm not trying to get people to start using the Tri-Slosher again (I hate it with a burning passion). I just don't understand why people though the nerf changed it in the slightest. I mean, in what ways is it worse than before the patch?
If you actually want an answer, I'll tell you. The nerfs were enormous. Damage dropping from 62 to 52 means the weapon can only kill in 2 hits up close, sloshers do reduced damage striking foes from above which means the tri-slosher can only deliver the 2-hit on the same surface as the foe, vastly limiting tactical options.

Also, the range dropped by 9%. Previously, the Tri-Slosher dominated because it outranged ALL short-range shooters. Splattershot, Jr., .52 Gal, Splash-O-Matic, N-Zap, etc. this bucket had the range advantage on everything in this category. A guaranteed 2-hit kill that outranges most foes is why the Tri-Slosher dominated the meta. With the range nerf, the Tri-Slosher now has range equal to the Splattershot and others, so it has to win by timing and positioning and not just mashing ZR.

The Tri-Slosher is by no means a bad weapon, but winning with it takes actual effort now. If the weapon is giving you trouble, ambush tactics work well, for one idea.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
If you actually want an answer, I'll tell you. The nerfs were enormous. Damage dropping from 62 to 52 means the weapon can only kill in 2 hits up close, sloshers do reduced damage striking foes from above which means the tri-slosher can only deliver the 2-hit on the same surface as the foe, vastly limiting tactical options.

Also, the range dropped by 9%. Previously, the Tri-Slosher dominated because it outranged ALL short-range shooters. Splattershot, Jr., .52 Gal, Splash-O-Matic, N-Zap, etc. this bucket had the range advantage on everything in this category. A guaranteed 2-hit kill that outranges most foes is why the Tri-Slosher dominated the meta. With the range nerf, the Tri-Slosher now has range equal to the Splattershot and others, so it has to win by timing and positioning and not just mashing ZR.

The Tri-Slosher is by no means a bad weapon, but winning with it takes actual effort now. If the weapon is giving you trouble, ambush tactics work well, for one idea.
Oh, it wasn't giving me trouble or anything, and now I understand the nerf a lot more, thanks. But why not just make it do less damage at all elevations instead of just from above?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Oh, it wasn't giving me trouble or anything, and now I understand the nerf a lot more, thanks. But why not just make it do less damage at all elevations instead of just from above?
They DID though. Between elevation, falloff damage (the weaker damage weapons do hitting foes beyond their optimal killing range), and other factors, dropping the damage by 10 points means direct hits are necessary for the same results.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
They DID though. Between elevation, falloff damage (the weaker damage weapons do hitting foes beyond their optimal killing range), and other factors, dropping the damage by 10 points means direct hits are necessary for the same results.
Hmm, OK. I guess my 15 splat game today was just luck or something. I really didn't know at all about all these other factors (I usually don't pay THAT much attention to needs and buffs anyway). Thanks for the help.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
What I really found shocking is that not only Tri-Slosher feel out of favor in the highest level of play, but also feel out of favor in among most players in general. Finding a Tri-Slosher player in both Turf Wars and Ranked is pretty rare nowadays.

Of course I'm not saying the weapon is "bad" or anything, but I do find it pretty crazy on how much it fell out of favor since the nerf.

Wumboeth

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-0266-9981-9987
What I really found shocking is that not only Tri-Slosher feel out of favor in the highest level of play, but also feel out of favor in among most players in general. Finding a Tri-Slosher player in both Turf Wars and Ranked is pretty rare nowadays.

Of course I'm not saying the weapon is "bad" or anything, but I do find it pretty crazy on how much it fell out of favor since the nerf.
Sloshers aren't very popular weapons and tri-slosher might be the most unpopular of them all (this was the case in Splatoon 1 too). The problem is that tri-slosher's job is usually done better by other short range weapons while the Slosher is outclassed by Sloshing Machine, Pro, and .96 gal. Most Slosher users only use it for the novelty of being a bucket otherwise this class is too lacking for most to stick with.

Hmm, OK. I guess my 15 splat game today was just luck or something. I really didn't know at all about all these other factors (I usually don't pay THAT much attention to needs and buffs anyway). Thanks for the help.
The Tri-slosher is still decent. I got a 20+ kills (including assists) S+ match post-nerf before with it, though that is NOT the norm. But it's definitely more balanced now and takes a lot more effort to do good with now.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Don't forget the nerfing of Ink Armor didn't do it any favors either- beforehand, it was a guaranteed block against OHKOs and you could stack it's effects if allies use Ink Armor aswell, meaning you and your team could get the hp of several inklings stacked on top of eachother.

Both the weapon itself and Ink Armor were overpowered, which is what lead to it's widespread use.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Hey, this is good news for you, right? You got 15 splats with it, so now you can attribute it to superior skill instead of just using an OP weapon. Plus, maybe I'm alone in this, but I always hate when I face someone with the same weapon as me. I mostly use the rapid pro, and it's super annoying dealing with another rapid out in the wild. If you're beasting people with the tri and don't have to worry too much about contending with other tris, that's all the better for you.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
Don't forget the nerfing of Ink Armor didn't do it any favors either- beforehand, it was a guaranteed block against OHKOs and you could stack it's effects if allies use Ink Armor aswell, meaning you and your team could get the hp of several inklings stacked on top of eachother.

Both the weapon itself and Ink Armor were overpowered, which is what lead to it's widespread use.
Oh, Ink Armour gets stacked? So if a player on my team uses the Ink Armour, it's not dud-worthy if I happen to use mine immediately afterwards? %)

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Most of the main points have already been said, but also please don't base your opinion of a weapon on one match - you might have got lucky, or it could have been a particularly good stage for the weapon.
Thank you! I've been telling people this forever, and yet they still do it! I'll be talking about how horrible Tentabrella is and someone will say something along the lines of "I made it to S+ with Tentabrella" but that's not good evidence to try and support your claim with. If you got to S+ with a certain bad weapon, that's because you're a good player and not because the weapon is good.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Thank you! I've been telling people this forever, and yet they still do it! I'll be talking about how horrible Tentabrella is and someone will say something along the lines of "I made it to S+ with Tentabrella" but that's not good evidence to try and support your claim with. If you got to S+ with a certain bad weapon, that's because you're a good player and not because the weapon is good.
Oh, I forgot about that dang thing. Man, even the Tri-Slosher's better than the Tentabrella.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
So in short, no, Tri is not op. It now has many glaring weaknesses (mainly lack of range and slow movement compared to other short ranged weapons) but is still a decent weapon overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom