• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Viability of the L-3 Nozzlenose and its Brother, The Nozzlenose D

Tentacruel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kevin0217
I feel that people like to disregard this weapon as bad becuase its different, when in reality, a skilled player could be topping the results page if they use this weapon correctly. While both guns shoot the same, the subs and specials will suit different playstyles. The Disruptors suit a playstyle where you use the weapons great range to your advantage, and stay behind the line of fire. Throwing a Disruptor right into the enemy zone can allow you to come in to finish, or have a team mate do your dirty work. On the other hand, the Kraken in the Nozzlenose D will allow you to enter the enemy's spawn area, and you can put your Kraken on and retreat back to base without being killed. Going off what I said at the beginning about people setting it aside because of the 3 shots, if you sat down for a day and just used the Nozzlenose in Turf War, you could easily get used to the constant lifting of your finger. This weapons range is also an extremely useful aspect of it. You don't need to be all up in your opponents face to kill them, because the Nozzlenose is one of the better ranged shooters. You can just stay back and fire 2 rounds and they're dead. I feel like this gun is not being used to its potential, and I think you could do great things with this gun if you spent the time it requires to get good with it.

polysaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
laffysapphy
I think both Nozzlenoses are fantastic weapons. The original version really suits my defensive playstyle, as throwing disruptors at shorter ranged weapons is really beneficial for getting the kill, as well as escaping longer ranged weapons. I'm sure that many players with more of an offensive playstyle can be amazing with the Nozzlenose D too, with the burst bombs offering an alternative close range attack, and the possibilities of burst bomb combos.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Yes it is viable. But it does have its weaknesses. The weaknesses that people claim and I roll my eyes at is 1) aiming skill, 2) pulling the trigger each time, 3) 2-hit kill. For 1) my aim is fine, not sure how ppl have bad aim. For 2) personal preference, but my arm generally gets tired only after 2+ hours of non-stop play. For 3) The Nozzlenose kills way too fast and has a good TTK for the 2hit kill to be a real weakness.

Its real weaknesses, IMO, from my play is that 1) you potentially have to do more work compared to other weapons and 2) vertical maps. For 1) you get better mobility but how much that helps offset the weakness is iffy. For 2) Not much can change this outside of trying to maintain the high ground and even then. I mean splatoon does try to get you to use diff weapons...so yea...its just not a universal weapon even though you can use it on alot of maps and modes.

Outside of the dumb weaknesses, I think L-3 got a jaded perspective because the Reg Nozzle was released when Splatzones was the only mode. Even when TC was released, 50% of ranked was SZ. The Reg Nozzle is not that great at SZ imo because its hard to break enemy advantage since the weapon does not have great ink coverage and the sub /specials do not create ink or make you invincible. In general, I don't find disruptors all that great in SZ. In addition, its hard to win a close up battle due to frames which from my exp happens more in SZ. At best you can shoot them and leave a disruptor as a parting gift.

The Reg Nozzle best mode imo is Rain Maker and it also does great at Tower Control. So its viability increased once RM was released.

The Nozzle D solves alot of the issues regarding SZ due to burst bombs w/damage ups and the Kraken. The weapon should also be decent in TC. From my Splatfest experience, Nozzle D is also the best for Competitive Turf Wars.

Thus, if you look at the two weapons as of today, I would say that the L-3 Nozzlenose family is definitely a viable weapon.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Hm...been struggling with this weapon, and my aim is solid. My problem with it arent so much the disadvantages, it's the advantages. Vs close range, vs Splattershot Pro Range, I'm not sure it does much.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Hm...been struggling with this weapon, and my aim is solid. My problem with it arent so much the disadvantages, it's the advantages. Vs close range, vs Splattershot Pro Range, I'm not sure it does much.
It depends on what you mean by close range. If they are right on top of you...yeah your probaly going to die but thats the case for alot of weapons. I survive battles mostly by moving left or right. And by this I mean, there are situations where you move continously to the left or right firing at the opponent. I usually only change directions when im fighting multiple opponents or using an object to my advantage. You can win a lot of fights like this especially if you are on a flat surface area wth room to move. Imo, 1.66 Run Speed Main and Ink Resistance is the bare minimum ability requirement if your going to use the Nozzle.

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
It depends on what you mean by close range. If they are right on top of you...yeah your probaly going to die but thats the case for alot of weapons. I survive battles mostly by moving left or right. And by this I mean, there are situations where you move continously to the left or right firing at the opponent. I usually only change directions when im fighting multiple opponents or using an object to my advantage. You can win a lot of fights like this especially if you are on a flat surface area wth room to move. Imo, 1.66 Run Speed Main and Ink Resistance is the bare minimum ability requirement if your going to use the Nozzle.
But what is actually good about the weapon itself? What you said basically applies to any automatic weapon. For example, an Eliter's range, a Roller's ink coverage/ability to fling over obstacles. What does the Nozzle bring to the table?

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
But what is actually good about the weapon itself? What you said basically applies to any automatic weapon. For example, an Eliter's range, a Roller's ink coverage/ability to fling over obstacles. What does the Nozzle bring to the table?
The mobility is defintly greater than automatic weapons. To me moving sideways is equivalent or even greater than the evasion jump shooting provides.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
The new one is amazing. 2 dmg ups = 99.9 dmg with like 72 er so dmg in burst. One bomb one bullet one kill. I cant say the same for other nozzle tho

Albatross

Senior Squid
NNID
Zacrowski
I have used Nozzlenose so much I actually can't stand other weapons too much because of its advantages. Perfect accuracy with the bursts has made it so that the deviation on other weapons bother me to the point where it even the squelcher's shot deviation bothers me. And every other weapon just feels so slow and clunky to use.

I personally prefer the defensive/tactical playstyle of the L-3 Nozzlenose to the aggressive playstyle of the L-3 Nozzlenose D.

Also, I find it funny that there are people that say the Nozzlenose sucks because it's too accurate

Trunks159

Full Squid
NNID
Trunks159
Finally getting used to this thing. The Kracken is really good tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom