• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Worst and Best Special in Your Opinion?

techton

Senior Squid
The title says it all. What is your opinion on the best and worst special in Splatoon 2?

I'd say ink armor is the best special, as it's a guaranteed life-saver if used at the right time and place, which can be extremely useful because survival is usually a top priority, especially in Ranked.

And the worst special for me probably goes to... well, I honestly don't know. All of the specials in Splatoon 2 seem to have a major downside compared to Splatoon 1's specials, so it's difficult to find a particularly "bad" one.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Overall, I think Ink Armor is the best because of how versatile it is and it can be put on any weapon and it'd be considered okay. For example, N-Zap and Hydra are two completely different weapons, but they work really well with Ink Armor

I think the worst special is Splashdown because you can shoot it out of the sky and it can be very predictable. The good side is that you can use it while super jumping, but the better the player, the easier it is to avoid that.

Also please no one say that Tenta Missiles is the worst special

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Bubble Blower is the worst special. It's something that literally won't work unless you're playing with friends. Your teammates will just ruin this special almost without fail. It doesn't matter if you're in a high rank, people will be drawn to those bubbles and just pop 'em. It's a bad bit of design and I'm sure it'll be gone, or severely tweaked for Splatoon 3.

Best is probably Ink Storm for me.

Cephalobro

I would say that Ink Armor is the best special, the fact that teammates also get it without you making contact with them is a positive change.

The worst I would say is the Baller, it is so easily pushed back by many fast weapons as it is, plus the nerf that made it lose a little bit of durability only made it worse, also with the fact that when it explodes, the user is forced to stop in their tracks. Definitely enough time for everyone else to flee.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
this is hard since each special has a advantage with each mode! >.< but when it comes to my favorite i will have to say..either the missiles or the bubble blower,since the bubble blower can be a life saver in SZ! ^^'' and missiles can help you out in each mode,besides since they buffed the missiles it is even more fun to use! :D

as for the worst for me..the ink storm,to me it is just a decent special and yeah it's a annoying special to deal with sometimes but that's all it is,annoying but easily avoided

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Personally, the Bomb launcher has given me the most consistent results in terms of all the specials, I'd even say that it might be the (second) best special for making large pushes (Inkjet is currently #1). It paints and clears out areas like no other, especially useful in Zones, and the Burst Bomb launcher is (again, in my opinion) one of the best panic button specials.

As for the special I'm most unruly with, Tenta missiles make the cut. Regarding the amount of sh*t that's thrown at these things, I can't help but feel sorry for these as there are certain weapons that can actually utilize these rather effectively such as the Squelchies (my shortened term for the dualie squelchers) Foil Flingza and VDualies. Unfortuanately, the Squelchies have a sub that can't really help their abysmal killing power, the Flingza has issues with the main weapon itself, and the Vdualies along with the Squelchies suffer from their superior alts.

Also, Hypothetically speaking, what if they gave a garbage main weapon something like a Kraken or Inkzooka?

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Also, Hypothetically speaking, what if they gave a garbage main weapon something like a Kraken or Inkzooka?
Is this a joke? The game would be completely broken if that were the case no matter what weapon got them.

Squidify

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8542-7373-7610
Best- Splash Down || Tenta Missiles

Worst-Bubble Blower II Bomb Rush

Padre

Pro Squid
Best could be any of them really. Depends from the mode.
Worst are probably baller or splashdown.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The best is definitely either Inkjet or Stingray. I'm leaning towards Inkjet because of how slow Ray kills now.

The worst is Splashdown because it can (and will) be shot down immediately after activation by good players.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Depends on the mode, the map, and the tier. Splashdown and Tentamissiles drop heavily in value against skilled opponents. Inkjet and Stingray are hard to master and not as valuable in low-tier play. Baller and Bubble Blower are much more valuable in Clam Blitz, and Bomb Launchers and Inkstorm are great in Splat Zones. Bubble Blower, Tenta Missiles, and Stingray are especially useful in the long, cramped quarters of Port Mackerel, while Inkstorm and Baller are more dangerous in the small maps like Musselforge. I think the meta-mindedness of always having the same specials in every mode all the time is misguided.

KiwiS

Inkling
Ink Armor for sure. Great and useful in any mode, can use it anytime anvit benefits the whole team.
Worst might be the inkjet and hold on your pitchforks, it's a hard weapons to master and newbies simply suck with it. Baller can hit,so can splashdown, the ink storm still paints some turf and splash bombs as well. So yeah, inkjet.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Best special is certainly inkjet because it has such a (broken) skill ceiling that no other special weapon has. Some have somewhat high skill caps, but they don't compare to inkjet. A good inkjet user will destroy everyone.

As for the worst special, it has to be splashdown (honorable mention tenta missiles) because not only does it have no value when pushing, it will get denied by any player who knows what they're doing. The thing that makes splashdown and missiles seem op to lower ranks and garbage tier to higher ranks is because they have BOTH very low skill floors and ceilings. The amount of skill it takes to use them is very very low, and at the same time the potential each of them has is very very low as well.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Why are people saying Bubbles is the worst special? It creates three shields that your enemies wouldn't want to go throw, they can explode leaving a good amount of ink and dealing good damage, and it scales well with Special Power Up.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
The worst is definitely Splashdown. As previously stated, it is incredibly weak to being shot sown and isn't even that good if you don't get shot down.

The best would probably be Bubbles. They ink decently, kill likewise, and are perfect for team pushes.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Best special is certainly inkjet because it has such a (broken) skill ceiling that no other special weapon has. Some have somewhat high skill caps, but they don't compare to inkjet. A good inkjet user will destroy everyone.

As for the worst special, it has to be splashdown (honorable mention tenta missiles) because not only does it have no value when pushing, it will get denied by any player who knows what they're doing. The thing that makes splashdown and missiles seem op to lower ranks and garbage tier to higher ranks is because they have BOTH very low skill floors and ceilings. The amount of skill it takes to use them is very very low, and at the same time the potential each of them has is very very low as well.
Although I agree with you on basically everything, I have found one, one niche for Splashdown.

Double Splashdown off of the mid tower into the zones of Blackbelly Splat Zones. Instant cap.

Yeah that's it.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Although I agree with you on basically everything, I have found one, one niche for Splashdown.

Double Splashdown off of the mid tower into the zones of Blackbelly Splat Zones. Instant cap.

Yeah that's it.
Okay, well there are two zones that are already easily capped or even easier, neutralized. Just throw a bomb and shoot like twice and you get the same thing. No use investing in a special for something niche like that when you can just have a better effect with like every other special.

outoftone

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-1956-1157-3698
the best special is the inkjet its super mobile and can make or break a push the worst is tenta missiles they are good for locating the enemy with callouts and can rarely get that 1 kill but they are the weakest because they are easy to avoid
"former top 300 in x rank speaking english"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom