• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Theories and ideas regarding clan matches

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
One thing i am most excited about is the competitive play of splatoon, so i compiled a list of thoughts regarding clan/team matches:

Each player can be on one team at a time:

This would work by a player registering to a team which is also registered on the site, and then they can be an official member of that clan. This would mostly relate to tournament play so that players multi-clanning wouldn't be much of a problem. Of course clans that would have casual matches against other clans could have as many members as they like and keep a private record, which brings me on to my next idea.

Clans can keep a win/loss count on its thread or in some form of communication:

What this would mean is that if a clan were to win a match against another clan, it would add a win to its match count. This being the same with Losses and Ties (Assuming there can be ties). Lets take Skype for example, if a team wins a match, they can record it by adding it to the Title of the Skype group ("X" clan || record: 1-0-0 || Last win against "Y"). Having win/losses recorded makes it good to see how a clan is progressing and lets others know the skill level of that clan.

How clan matches could go:

This is subject to change. One way of playing clan matches that i thought of is Best of 3 matches. This would mostly apply to Turf War. The matches in Turf War seem to go by a bit fast in my opinion. In response to this, maybe we can have teams do best of 3, or even 5. This could call for some close matches and comeback opportunities, and could have matches go from about 6 minutes to 18-25. Splat zone on the other hand can last a good amount of time (Having matches last about 5 minutes each).

Of course these are just some ideas that i have, let me know your opinions!

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
Definitely have full inclination toward one player to one team. For those that want to play with a team other than their main one, the best resort would be pick up groups, otherwise known as PUGs. This would eliminate multi-clanning entirely. Win/loss ratio is a must for competitive teams and recording that would be within the team's preference of whatever voice chat application they use since everyone won't be using Skype. Finally, all clan matches can either be played in the best of three or the best of five. When a official ruleset is established, we'll see which one will take effect. Other than that, its a good start so far. Will add more ideas pretty soon.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Definitely have full inclination toward one player to one team. For those that want to play with a team other than their main one, the best resort would be pick up groups, otherwise known as PUGs. This would eliminate multi-clanning entirely. Win/loss ratio is a must for competitive teams and recording that would be within the team's preference of whatever voice chat application they use since everyone won't be using Skype. Finally, all clan matches can either be played in the best of three or the best of five. When a official ruleset is established, we'll see which one will take effect. Other than that, its a good start so far. Will add more ideas pretty soon.
Thanks for the feedback, i know some people dislike PUGs having a win loss ratio. I never fully understood that but we'll see how the official rules play out.

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
Thanks for the feedback, i know some people dislike PUGs having a win loss ratio. I never fully understood that but we'll see how the official rules play out.
Yeah, I really don't know why myself. Probably because teams take preeminence over PUGs so people don't see a necessity for them to have records but that's just me.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Some neat ideas here. I'm not opposed to the general idea of a clan, though I think they should exist more for the community aspect rather than competitive play.

Clans can be a way to find nice groups of people that you can enjoy playing the game with at any point. When it comes to competitive play, I feel that there should be a separation between clans and squads specifically formed for competitive tournaments. If clans are strictly for community fun, anyone can join them. If a clan wants to have a squad to actually represent them in a competitive tournament hosted on the site, they're more than welcome to do so by using a tag. If a group of people aren't in a clan but want to form a squad for a tournament, they can and should do so. What I'm saying is that I think competitive matches should be kept to tournaments, not to also be held between clans outside out a moderated environment. Some clans may struggle to find a foothold in competitive play. If they're new and there aren't many (or any) other new clans around, surely the well-established clans would want to play with one another where they know the skills of players, rather than the new crew on the block. Without moderation from organisers, arguments, insults, and other nasty things could arise and really discourage players from stepping into the competitive scene.

Of course, that's not to say that arguments won't occur even in a tournament, but official organisers can try to dispute the situation with a clear mind. Not only that, but if clans were to hold competitive matches and keep track of scores, it essentially devalues tournaments. At that point, what reason would there be to participate in a tournament? You've already got a scoreboard for your clan but it lacks that official feeling. Again, I'm not pposed to clans as an idea, and I like the clans on a base level. If a clan wanted to have serious matches with others, they could do it, but I think the mindset should be that those matches would be pratice for the tournaments. Winning tournaments should give the real sense of achievement because you'd likely have to work for a much longer period of time, be able to make deadlines, keep your teamwork up again and again in succession, possibly rematch teams you may have beaten or lost against, etc. If you set up a clan match at a time that suits both clans, there's no real sense of urgency or importance to it. If you miss your matches in a tournament, that's a big hit your squad is taking.

To sum up, I like clans and I think they're great for building a stronger community, but I don't think they should be the centre stage of competitive play. Squads that participate in tournaments again and again to prove themselves and show off their abilities to a much larger audience would be better. A simple record of wins/losses isn't quite as impressive to see as a small squad consistently winning because they work well together. That, and you'll be able to see which people are the ones winning, rather than looking at a large group and not knowing who among them is truly a skilled player.

There's definitely a place for clans here, but I'm not really seeing it as this.

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
Are you talking strictly tournament/league play? Because surely keeping a w/l of scrims is not a "must" for serious competitive team?
Any team(casual or competitive) can utilize a win/loss ratio outside of league play. I'm just saying majority of the competitive teams will have them.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't think best of 3 matches would work too well. In a game like Splatoon, that's probably gonna take a long time. That's just a guess though, best of 3 might be totally (or even the most) viable way of doing it. :)

Tepip

Inkster Jr.
I don't think best of 3 matches would work too well. In a game like Splatoon, that's probably gonna take a long time. That's just a guess though, best of 3 might be totally (or even the most) viable way of doing it. :)
It seems to be a 5-minute time limit for each multiplayer online battle mode, so I think 10 to 15 minutes is not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom