• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Theory - Why Octolings Exist Alongside Inklings

Cephalobro

Finally back with another theory supported by scientific facts. Anyways, I have recently seen some say Octolings only mimic Inklings, but I highly disagree with that.

As I have mentioned in one of my older theories, convergence evolution is very real and has happened with many real-world animals we know today. You may be asking "What does this have to do with Splatoon?", well, one thing for certain is that squids and octopi are different animals, despite them both being cephalopods, it's just like how cats and dogs are different animals despite both of them being mammals.

So why did the octopus evolve similarly to the squid? That's because if the predator evolves, so does the prey, evolution is a neverending part of the natural world. And squids can, in fact, prey on octopi in the real world and there are many known cases of this happening. Of course, when Inklings started to exist, the Octolings also started to exist because of this predator-prey relationship that the two species had in the past. This can be seen in-game as well, most Octarians can't survive a one-on-one battle against an Inkling face to face. One of the only few who are able to stand a chance in such a scenario is the Octoling. That already shows a lot in this context.

Vernaltick

Full Squid
If so, why are octolings evolving faster than octarians. Alternatively prey doesn't usually evolve as fast as th predator otherwise the predator would never catch prey. Not trying to be mean just asking questions.

Cephalobro

If so, why are octolings evolving faster than octarians. Alternatively prey doesn't usually evolve as fast as th predator otherwise the predator would never catch prey. Not trying to be mean just asking questions.
Intelligence is the key thing here, Octolings are more intelligent than other Octarians as well as more intelligent than Inklings. I mean, the Inklings in Inkopolis can't even tell themselves apart from Octolings. Octolings are the original Octarians, the other Octarians just happens to be separated Octoling tentacles, which explains why Octolings were the first ones to evolve because they create the other Octarians.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom