• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thermal Ink and Hydra Splattling...good?

Zahntavier

Senior Squid
Thermal Ink has largely been a disappointment. Its one of those abilities I really wanted to work, but it just didn’t do enough.

That is, until Hydra Splattling dropped. This might be the gun that can best utilise the quirky thermal ink tag. Its got the range and spread to hit squids (with main-weapon-ink) more often the other long range shooters.

Testing it has been fun and the extra info helps me position the Hydra safely, get some kills from blind positions, as well as pressure people from over obstacles.

I’m not sure if all this makes it a worthwhile main ability, as this weapon has many other needs (run speed, ink saver main).

Thoughts? Am I fooling myself, and its still crap? Did nintendo intentionally time this so TI would be a sleeper until the Hydra dropped?

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
Eh, I don't think Thermal Ink is worth much anyways, since the ability is pretty wonky in the first place. Doesn't help it that it does not track people that stay hidden in ink in Squid form. And to top it off, the tracking is very subtle and easy to miss in the chaos that is the battlefield.

Sure you can make use of it, nothing wrong there (since gear is mostly personal preference), but in my opinion, you're just better off with an ability that's a passive and consistent boost than something extra you have to pay attention to.

Maave

Inkling Commander
I'll have to try that. I've tried using the Hydra for volley shots over obstacles but it's difficult without visibility. I agree with Goolloom that thermal ink can be hard to see sometimes

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
I'd say the only weapon to use Thermal Ink on is Jet Squelcher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom