• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Thinking of getting the New 3DS thingy.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I was thinking about getting it, but i was told it doesn't support the same SD cards... I have a "SDHC 16 gig"

You could just redownload all your games from the store using your NNID, no?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Yes. You can redownload all of your old games. But the optimal way is to buy a Micro SD 16 GB. They float around $10 on amazon right now. If you don't have a computer that can read Micro SD cards you can get an adapter on the cheap on amazon too.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I don't have to go through Nintendo to unlink my old 3DS, do i? I can just redownload and start playing a new save, right?

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Here's Nintendo's transfer guide.

No, you can do it yourself. I had to call Nintendo because my old system was unable to do a proper transfer due the bottom screen not working at all. Since your old one works, you can do the transfer yourself without having to call Nintendo.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
No, i mean, could i just sign in using my NNID and redownload all my games from Eshop and not transfer anything?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I don't think it works that way. Sadly, unlike Sony or Microsoft's consoles, a NNID can only be bound to one 3DS at a time. If you want your old stuff on your new system, you'll have to take it from the old 3DS.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
Nuts. I did the transfer from Wii to Wii U, so i should be familiar with it.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Yeah, from what I read. It's just as easy as from Wii to Wii U. (They still use the Pikmin!) I did that when I got my Wii U. I was still on pins on needles on how long it took. But the animation was great.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
Does formatting systems work the same way on 3DS's? Does it unbind them too?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
No, do not format. It removes all of your digital licenses for all of the stuff you bought on the Eshop. Only format if you won't use that 3DS ever again and the stuff you have is on a new one. And no, it does not unbind them, it just straight up erases them.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
But:

• You cannot perform a system transfer if the target system has a Nintendo Network ID linked. You must format the target system to remove the Nintendo Network ID link prior to transferring content.
That means the New 3DS, right?

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
When you first boot up a brand new 3DS, it doesn't have a NNID attached to it. You can then transfer your old one (which has the NNID) to your new one (Which doesn't). Afterwards, your new one will have everything you got and your old one is a blank slate. Also, the "Source" is your old 3DS with everything on it. The "Target" is the new one you just bought.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I think i got it.... just making absolutely sure i don't misread anything.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Yeah, it's a lot of money, so I'm trying to help as best as I can if you're going to buy one.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
That's what i'm debating it on. If it's entirely worth it.

I almost dodged a bullet with the charger a week ago and it's making me wonder... and worry.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
It doesn't come with a charger. But if it's worth it is mostly up to you. Do your research on it and decide if it's worth it or not. I can tell you from my experience it's a very good looking system in person. But it's $230. That's a lot of money to throw at a 3DS.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
-Wii U friend request incoming-

230? Cripes.

Lets hope my "old girl" holds up till i'm 60.

Alright, lets back up, Mind helping me with the large picture here? (Pros and cons, that is. Weigh in on me not getting one and praying to the game gods that my luck with Nintendo systems continues.)

I don't mind the double distortion issue. Sure, OOT 3D made my eyes cross a few times, but i just turned the 3D down and was fine. I also hear they kept that in mind with Majora's Mask 3D, in which they did, i had absolutely no problems with it. other than getting past those damn Gnormans....

My main worry is that Big N will go "Nope. New 3DS only." with a new title and i'll have to jump through a minefield just to play that shiny new game along with the price of my billl skyrocketing to 300 big ones. To be honest, i was kind of scared with MM3D...

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
Alright, let's get started on the pros.

1. It doesn't feel cheap. Well to me anyway. It's also noticeably lighter than the standard 3DS.
2. It has all the bells and whistles of the N3DS with the ability to customize the face plates on it, although this is a minor bonus.
3. As you stated, buying this will future proof yourself if Nintendo decides to make a really appealing N3DS exclusive. And you get access to Xenoblade if it's up your alley.
4. The NFC reader is going to be a blessing, Knowing how much Nintendo is stuffing amiibo into everything these days. (Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam is the next 3DS game with amiibo support.)
5. Some games and future games will benefit from the better hardware.
6. The game is not pre-installed, but rather it's a code. Whether this is a pro or con is up to you.

And now the cons.

1. It's expensive. 230 dollars is a lot to spend on basically the same handheld, just upscaled. The game may be not very good and it's one of the reasons it's so darn much.
2. It doesn't have a charger. You'll need to have one on hand or you'll have to order one from Nintendo.
3. It could possibly be a hassle to transfer your stuff. If you have a 16 GB SD Card, you'll need a Micro SD Card of that same size or larger. And you'll need a screwdriver to actually replace the SD Card.

If I think of anything else, I'll edit it later. I haven't gotten the chance to actually use it due to the fact that the Nintendo rep on the phone said I may have a couple of days before I'm ready to use mine. But you won't have my issue.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I'm getting the Amiibo/NFC reader add-on since i plan to keep my 3DS. Thanks for that btw, Big N.

I'll probably get a new portable system if it's drastically different. Like 3d and next-gen graphics. Or something else silly.

And i think (Hoping, really.) they're actually keeping in mind that people don't plan on spending 250 bucks on a fixed up 3DS when they have one. I've had a few games already that say "New 3DS compatible" and they work just fine.

Also, i'm not keen on dismantling systems to change SD cards. I like plugging things in and having them working.

Last edited:

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
I bought my New 3DS, and after the month where Nintendo for some reason decides you can't transfer your own data and the games you paid for, I swapped back to my 3DS with Circle Pad Pro. The New 3DS is an 'upgrade' in the absolute barest sense of the word. Half an our of extra battery life, a slightly bigger screen and it loads Smash 4 about 10 seconds quicker. Doesn't outweigh the cons by a mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom