• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Thoughts on a New Competitive Circuit for Nintendo Games Only

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
E-Sports are on the rise and Nintendo has so much potential for further greatness with; Sm4sh, 64, Brawl, Melee, Pokémon Being already successful competitively. And with new games such as; Pokkén and Splatoon coming out soon and looking like they are going to be awesome. Well, Apex and Evo are meant for fighting games right? Well where does Splatoon fit into that? It's a shooter. Well what if Nintendo, or someone with a lot of power started a Pro Circuit of Nintendo games? I think that this could be really sick and if this happened I think we could generate a ton of hype and it could be really successful, I don't know what it would take to do this but if it's possible I think we should do it.

Last edited:

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
Nintendo has been focusing more and more on competitive communities within their games. It would be really cool if nintendo created a tournament curcuit, though I think having community-based tournaments are just as, if not more, important. The tournaments and events we create would be to further develop and strengthen the splatoon community. An official nintendo one would be an excellent way to promote the game, while also attracting more players to join the community.

Both aspects can work together in conjunction with each other to spark more interest into the game, and I'm looking forward to any and all opportunities in the future regarding tournament support.

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
Nintendo has been focusing more and more on competitive communities within their games. It would be really cool if nintendo created a tournament curcuit, though I think having community-based tournaments are just as, if not more, important. The tournaments and events we create would be to further develop and strengthen the splatoon community. An official nintendo one would be an excellent way to promote the game, while also attracting more players to join the community.

Both aspects can work together in conjunction with each other to spark more interest into the game, and I'm looking forward to any and all opportunities in the future regarding tournament support.
I would honestly prefer a community based tournament, I just used Nintendo as an example because I couldn't really think of anyone else that could do something like this

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
I would honestly prefer a community based tournament, I just used Nintendo as an example because I couldn't really think of anyone else that could do something like this
Well Riot Games fully supports the league of legends competitive circuit. More than any other game, I think Splatoon would greatly benefit from Nintendo's support, though I agree that focusing on country events should be a primary focus right now.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
That would be really nice. I hope Nintendo takes this direction eventually, but I don't see it happening too soon unfortunately.

DigDeep

Senior Squid
So like Capcom cup but for Nintendo games? I would definitely enjoy that! The problem would be getting Nintendo behind that. I think we'd have a much easier time trying to set some event like this up as a community.

Nintendo has been acknowledging competitive video games more lately, but Nintendo is a Kyoto business structure. They are incredibly stubborn, it's hard to get new ideas through, and a good number of higher ups at NOJ are out of touch with gaming culture and have been there since the NES days. eSports is definitely one of these ideas that would be questionable to them. eSports haven't really took off in Japan outside of fighting games yet. Now I'm not sure how much NoA can operate on their own regarding these kinds of things (sponsorships) but hopefully they have more freedom with that making my point moot.

But even then, all they did for Apex was provide systems, games, and adapters. Which don't get me wrong, is definitely a lot and Apex wouldn't have happened without them, but something like a circuit your suggesting would be a much larger investment.

I'd love to see it though. Pokemon, Smash 4, Melee, PM, maybe 64, Splatoon, and eventually Pokken. It would be very fun and exciting!

Actilide

Inkling Cadet
So like Capcom cup but for Nintendo games? I would definitely enjoy that! The problem would be getting Nintendo behind that. I think we'd have a much easier time trying to set some event like this up as a community.

Nintendo has been acknowledging competitive video games more lately, but Nintendo is a Kyoto business structure. They are incredibly stubborn, it's hard to get new ideas through, and a good number of higher ups at NOJ are out of touch with gaming culture and have been there since the NES days. eSports is definitely one of these ideas that would be questionable to them. eSports haven't really took off in Japan outside of fighting games yet. Now I'm not sure how much NoA can operate on their own regarding these kinds of things (sponsorships) but hopefully they have more freedom with that making my point moot.

But even then, all they did for Apex was provide systems, games, and adapters. Which don't get me wrong, is definitely a lot and Apex wouldn't have happened without them, but something like a circuit your suggesting would be a much larger investment.

I'd love to see it though. Pokemon, Smash 4, Melee, PM, maybe 64, Splatoon, and eventually Pokken. It would be very fun and exciting!
I'd actually prefer if it was a community thing I only said Nintendo because they were the only organization I could think of that has the power to do something like this, I'd love to talk to some people and try and get this started but idk who to talk to

DigDeep

Senior Squid
I think Smashcaps over at the Smash Reddit might be a good starting point. They were talking about starting a literal Smash Olympics with every country sending over their best players just yesterday. Other resources could be bigger TO's like The Big House guys and maybe MVG since they're starting up and want to get their name out.

Undr

Nintendo has done large scale tournaments in the very distant past. I think it's a great idea, and if you keep it centralized to Wii U titles, you'll likely to get a positive reaction from Nintendo themselves.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Nintendo does currently host huge, global tournaments for both the pokemon TCG and video games, and have been for quite some time so they have experience in this sort of thing. Of course both are a bit easier to run since everyone will be bringing their own deck/handheld with them.

Reactions: Lyn

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

i was about to post something exactly like this, you beat me to it :/

i like the idea of something like a nintendo exclusive event for competitive games, but getting nintendo to endorse it beyond getting them to say "yep! this is a thing that's happening! pretty cool, huh?" is probably never going to happen

even though they were involved with apex 2015, the most they really did was supply wii us and bring a splatoon demo to the original venue before it got shut down. they wouldn't really do anything huge to support the community besides tweet about it and give out some supplies; something the community is capable of doing on their own

we may honestly be better off without nintendo's support. i mean, look at the smash community; it thrives with or without nintendo, and when they tried to get involved, all they really did was hurt us by (allegedly) getting alex strife to exclude project m from this years apex

they could just be a bigger source of drama than income

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
A Nintendo-Cup under vein of something like the Capcom cup could very well happen. That being said, it's hundreds- thousands out of Nintendo's pocket that they just can't throw away right now. Perhaps when they get that monopoly of the mobile-phone market, maybe that will work, but right now they have a business structure that demands that they work on games. I could see Melee, Sm4sh, Pokken, Splatoon, and Pokemon all being played competitively.

They run the international Pokemon TCG and Pokemon Championships, but hosting a competition that leads to a final cup would be incredibly time consuming and take a large piece of revenue.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
You can have community events but community events do not make companies money.

The future survival of anything to be lasting and not a 3 month play and dump title, is getting it accepted/turned into an e-sport.

I believe Splatoon has a lot of potential. I mean Gears of War multiplayer went to MLG which I kind of relate to Splatoon somewhat mainly because it's a 3rd person shooter.

I hope it becomes competative to a point where nintendo actually supports it. as if Nintendo thought Melee was ever supposed to be an e-sport. This is also a company who didn't realize that people wanted to watch others play games, and they thought watching people on twitch was boring. :D

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
It could be very interesting to say the least... but if Nintendo was handling all the rules and stuff, I can't say I would be for it. Nintendo kinda failed with their Smash tournament rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom