• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thoughts on an online competitive scene for Splatoon

thefro

Full Squid
Wanted to get this post I made a few weeks ago on the Beta site up here as well. I've changed a couple things based on feedback.

I think it'd be really cool to get some sort of online league and pickup-game scene both going.

---

A lot of people here seem to be coming from the Smash Brothers competitive scene. It'd be great if there ends up being a local scene and tournaments people go to, but I haven't heard a lot of talk about how the online competitive community should work.

I won't claim to be anything close to an expert but I have played a couple hundred hours of Team Fortress 2 and dabbled in that community's competitive scene enough to know how some of it works. TF2 is a team-based game like Splatoon with objective-based gameplay, so a lot of what works there should work in Splatoon.

The league I'm using for a model is the UGC League, which I played a season of. Here's their rules and a FAQ.

Keep in mind I'm assuming we can have a match with friends or some sort of password-restricted tournament and pick our map and game-type.

- There should be a league with a season that lasts a certain number of weeks (UGC's usually run for 9-13 weeks), followed by playoffs of 3-5 weeks.
- You sign up to be on a team. A team needs to have at least 4 players, but their roster can be up to 8-10 players (so that you can have some people sit out weeks if they're busy). You can only be on one rostered team at once and rosters will lock once the playoffs start.
- Each team will have a captain reasonable for organizing their team and scheduling specific match times with the captain of the other team.
- Teams play a weekly match during the season. There will be a default day during the week where these matches will be scheduled, but team captains can schedule an alternate day.
- For matches, each week we would play a different map/mode, which would be best 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5. Screenshots of the results screen should be saved to MiiVerse for reporting results. BP earned/allowed would be the tiebreaker for standings.

- Teams should use something like Mumble/Skype/Ventrillo/Teamspeak, etc. for voice chat. I'm not sure what the best thing would be that is free, easy to use, available on smartphones, and has the least lag. Ideally there would also be a way to link each of the team rooms for pre-match/post-match communications and then unlink them when the match starts. It'd be cool to standardize things here so most of the community is using the same software. (Note, most people seemed to be defaulting to Skype on the Beta site)
- My strong preference would be not to ban anything from the game as that's going to be very hard to enforce with the limited tools Nintendo gives us
- If there's some sort of spectator mode/replay mode, that could potentially be used for the community to cast matches. Not really expecting that though.
- There should be some sort of chat room/forum for pick-up-games (TF2 scene calls them "PUGs"), where a bunch of competitive players hang out and can practice running the maps as part of competitive teams.

- Depending on the number of teams that sign up, there should be multiple divisions based on skill level. The lowest division would be for people just having fun and the highest division would require teams practicing roll-outs and advanced strategies on different maps.
- Also depending on the number of teams that sign up (i.e. we have too many to do a round-robin), we could do reseeding based on number of points scored in the matches to ensure a competitive match.
- We may need different divisions for Europe & North America, depending on how the lag situation is.
- The timeline I have in my head would have a season starting in August, which would give people June to learn the game and unlock things and July to form teams and practice. There could be plenty of time for exhibitions, etc beforehand so teams can get an idea of their skill level.

If anyone has any ideas to add to that, feel free to chime in. I'm sure there's lots of other structures people have used for games on consoles, etc but I'm not as familiar with them.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I believe Teamspeak is the best option for teams on a competitive level, but I've never used Ventrillo or Mumble so I wouldn't know. I definitely agree with most of this thread, it's very well thought out. :)

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
A league system would be pretty easy to kick off since its fairly widely used and simple. It also doesn't require even number of teams to be executable. You have my vote!

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I never been in league system but sounds cool whatever is picked as the official format will be fun.

Amaya00

Inkster Jr.
Wanted to get this post I made a few weeks ago on the Beta site up here as well. I've changed a couple things based on feedback.

I think it'd be really cool to get some sort of online league and pickup-game scene both going.

---

A lot of people here seem to be coming from the Smash Brothers competitive scene. It'd be great if there ends up being a local scene and tournaments people go to, but I haven't heard a lot of talk about how the online competitive community should work.

I won't claim to be anything close to an expert but I have played a couple hundred hours of Team Fortress 2 and dabbled in that community's competitive scene enough to know how some of it works. TF2 is a team-based game like Splatoon with objective-based gameplay, so a lot of what works there should work in Splatoon.

The league I'm using for a model is the UGC League, which I played a season of. Here's their rules and a FAQ.

Keep in mind I'm assuming we can have a match with friends or some sort of password-restricted tournament and pick our map and game-type.

- There should be a league with a season that lasts a certain number of weeks (UGC's usually run for 9-13 weeks), followed by playoffs of 3-5 weeks.
- You sign up to be on a team. A team needs to have at least 4 players, but their roster can be up to 8-10 players (so that you can have some people sit out weeks if they're busy). You can only be on one rostered team at once and rosters will lock once the playoffs start.
- Each team will have a captain reasonable for organizing their team and scheduling specific match times with the captain of the other team.
- Teams play a weekly match during the season. There will be a default day during the week where these matches will be scheduled, but team captains can schedule an alternate day.
- For matches, each week we would play a different map/mode, which would be best 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5. Screenshots of the results screen should be saved to MiiVerse for reporting results. BP earned/allowed would be the tiebreaker for standings.

- Teams should use something like Mumble/Skype/Ventrillo/Teamspeak, etc. for voice chat. I'm not sure what the best thing would be that is free, easy to use, available on smartphones, and has the least lag. Ideally there would also be a way to link each of the team rooms for pre-match/post-match communications and then unlink them when the match starts. It'd be cool to standardize things here so most of the community is using the same software. (Note, most people seemed to be defaulting to Skype on the Beta site)
- My strong preference would be not to ban anything from the game as that's going to be very hard to enforce with the limited tools Nintendo gives us
- If there's some sort of spectator mode/replay mode, that could potentially be used for the community to cast matches. Not really expecting that though.
- There should be some sort of chat room/forum for pick-up-games (TF2 scene calls them "PUGs"), where a bunch of competitive players hang out and can practice running the maps as part of competitive teams.

- Depending on the number of teams that sign up, there should be multiple divisions based on skill level. The lowest division would be for people just having fun and the highest division would require teams practicing roll-outs and advanced strategies on different maps.
- Also depending on the number of teams that sign up (i.e. we have too many to do a round-robin), we could do reseeding based on number of points scored in the matches to ensure a competitive match.
- We may need different divisions for Europe & North America, depending on how the lag situation is.
- The timeline I have in my head would have a season starting in August, which would give people June to learn the game and unlock things and July to form teams and practice. There could be plenty of time for exhibitions, etc beforehand so teams can get an idea of their skill level.

If anyone has any ideas to add to that, feel free to chime in. I'm sure there's lots of other structures people have used for games on consoles, etc but I'm not as familiar with them.
I think this would be a fantastice idea, and I hope that Nintendo can get some dedicated servers for online play. Maybe we'll see some really great features that could support this in the full game.

I believe Teamspeak is the best option for teams on a competitive level, but I've never used Ventrillo or Mumble so I wouldn't know. I definitely agree with most of this thread, it's very well thought out. :)
Mumble works FANTASTIC in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
This system sounds pretty cool. So about what time should we start forming teams? (post-release)

Reactions: Lyn

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Talking from experience forming teams pre-release is pretty bad idea :P People will lose interest and basically anything can happen in people's lives. Of course having some contacts is never bad but I think forming teams this early is unnesseccary and risky step.

Lyn

Premium
This sounds awesome. Count me in when this gets started!
Same here, since I forgot to say! If we get a competitive community started up now, we have a better chance of making it last longer (hopefully until the next game).

Lyn

Premium
How can we start it up now?
We gather people ambitious to play Splatoon competitively, and group them together in some way. Then we could practice and play together, host tournaments, etc;.

thefro

Full Squid
IMHO, pick-up games should be the first step. Those should be organized here and on a chat/IRC room where people can say "Splat zones on Walleye Warehouse, need X people, join this match".

People can form teams whenever they want, but you're not going to know who the good players are before the game comes out.

Reactions: Lyn

Lyn

Premium
IMHO, pick-up games should be the first step. Those should be organized here and on a chat/IRC room where people can say "Splat zones on Walleye Warehouse, need X people, join this match".

People can form teams whenever they want, but you're not going to know who the good players are before the game comes out.
True, I just think having an organization of players ready would be beneficial, even if they don't have a high skill, nobody really will since it's a new game.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
What I'm hoping is Warchamp will add some sort of "matchmaking" chatroom and then they could add a 'Clan' section to the site. As for gathering all the competitive Splatooners, I think we'll garner 'em up all right here. People will naturally come here seeing as this is, of course, the section for competitive Splatoon. Although I admit It would be easier to discern if we had those tabs like Smashboards does.

As for me, I'm ready to make a group right now tbh, but it's obviously not a good idea to do that pre-launch.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef

---

Honestly, You listed all the ideas I had.
I really hope they all get used (unlikely unfortunately), if they did Splatoon's future would look so bright

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom