• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Thoughts on an online competitive scene for Splatoon

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
Ok I see, thanks for bringing that up. Makes sense. So the points follow the player no matter the league they are in.
Yes because they would only be used for seeding in the weekly/bi-weekly/bi-monthly or whatever ODCs and possibly also non-league related LANs. Seeding LANs based on points earned in previous tournaments (online or offline) is far more easier then getting a group of people together to determine seeding based upon a variety of different

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
Sure, similar to that system but a simpler system that doesn't require a complicated formula to work out the points for each tournament and is a lot easier to incorporate into a team game. Something like Halo's but with players all getting the points individually or CoD's.

littlehero6

Inkling
I heard something about the game not having matchmaking with friends? I really hope that isn't true but if it is then that may effect the competitive scene. :( But they can always patch it in! :D

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I heard something about the game not having matchmaking with friends? I really hope that isn't true but if it is then that may effect the competitive scene. :( But they can always patch it in! :D
it was only confirmed that you couldn't customize the rules in private parties. Not that private parties didn't exist. However private rooms have not been confirmed yet.

Saik

Inkling
NNID
Saik4926
small contribution, but i personally recommend skype as communication/calling sources as the mk community has used it for 7 years now and it's worked great. lots of extra bells and whistles compared to the others (from what i know at least)

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
The developers have pretty much pointed out that players that want to use voice chat will find other means to do so.

I think the biggest thing that will make or break the online competitive community is the dedication of the Splatoon community, and the support of the developers.
We'll see how everything turns out, though I'm optimistic that the game will last (especially since the developers are supporting the game post launch with added gear, and possibly weapons, maps, and game modes.)

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The developers have pretty much pointed out that players that want to use voice chat will find other means to do so.

I think the biggest thing that will make or break the online competitive community is the dedication of the Splatoon community, and the support of the developers.
We'll see how everything turns out, though I'm optimistic that the game will last (especially since the developers are supporting the game post launch with added gear, and possibly weapons, maps, and game modes.)
I think this is basically it.

If we have to, I can see online being a thing. Things like input lag might not be as big of an issue for a game that doesn't require frame perfect techs. (I could be wrong though).

Round robin was suggest? Sounds fair enough to me.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
as far as frame perfect techs go there could be a bit of an issue, the only things i discovered when i played the pax east demo was that there is a close quarters insta-kill. I call it "Peek-a-boo", What happens is you need to be swimming in your ink and you need to get close to an enemy, re-surface then shoot the ground while turning into a squid. not only can you avoid your opponents attacks but you can insta-kill them and hide in the ink. also its a useful method for covering the ground easier too.

Undr

as far as frame perfect techs go there could be a bit of an issue, the only things i discovered when i played the pax east demo was that there is a close quarters insta-kill. I call it "Peek-a-boo", What happens is you need to be swimming in your ink and you need to get close to an enemy, re-surface then shoot the ground while turning into a squid. not only can you avoid your opponents attacks but you can insta-kill them and hide in the ink. also its a useful method for covering the ground easier too.
Such techs. Wow. Love hearing this sort of thing about the game already.

I think the community just needs to make competitive Splatoon as accessible as possible. We could create guides, make a "getting started" kit with links to various communication downloads and the like. So long as we keep the game prominent on YouTube and Twitch we'll be fine.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Such techs. Wow. Love hearing this sort of thing about the game already.

I think the community just needs to make competitive Splatoon as accessible as possible. We could create guides, make a "getting started" kit with links to various communication downloads and the like. So long as we keep the game prominent on YouTube and Twitch we'll be fine.
Well it may not be as good as it sounds, i did only get to play three matches but by using that technique i dominated two of those matches getting the most kills and not dying once. All that however could possibly change upon release

HaDeeZ

Senior Squid
I mean you could go through the effort of creating a site for ladder play but if the game is added to the GameBattles site (there is a decent chance they they will do seeing as they added Sm4sh and MK8) I would recommend just using that as the site is free, fairly easy to use and would save someone the time and money spent setting up and running a Splatoon version of Anthers ladder.

thefro

Full Squid
Okay, so the Direct today confirmed this is possible to run, but not until the August update which allows matchmaking, picking teams & your map/mode.

Since we don't have an exact date yet, we should probably aim for September to start the league up.

Tower Control should definitely be a mode in the rotation. There should be enough maps to make multiple seasons fun.

I'm excited to get this going!

Ivy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
godwit1ivy
Pumped about this idea, even if we have to wait until August/September to start it. We did something very similar to this back in Halo 3 for the custom game grifball, and it was amazing.

KniteLyfe

Full Squid
NNID
KniteLyfe
The wait might be kind of nice. That way we can level up, make loadouts, etc.

I feel the tower mode will be the best mode to be competitive
Tower Control is basically Payload from TF2, except that it can go either way. Such amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom