• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Thoughts on Sheldon's picks?

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
So as we all know, (unless it's a cruel April fool's joke) tomorrow will be the day when Sheldon's pix will grace its holy face across the whole of Splatoon. Obviously, some of these will probably be quite strong cough cough Soda Slosher cough cough and others will still, probably be low tier trash like Aero pg. And others simply have better options available (Clapples<Dark tetras, 83<Splat Brella). Of course, this is mere opinion on weapons that haven't even been released yet, but these are just my general thoughts on the weapons as of right now.

_Alex_

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2820-9957-0983
permabrush seems like it'll join kunder as one of the premier armor weapons in the game due to the insane paint and sprinkler slapped on it
heavy remix seems super solid as a booyah anchor imo the best splatling
soda slosher will have it's niches but still a nice pick
bamboo seems insane with the potential of it's kit I wouldn't be surprised if it became meta
83 is gonna get outclassed by brella
clapples are just not great
camo seems like a solid weapon with how it's kit shuts down super aggro pushes, very solid niches
CH3 seems super good from what I've heard from some h3 mains
squiffer seems bad
so does sploosh
grim looks like it'll be a great blaster but blasters aren't the greatest rn so eh

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
Permabrush seems pretty great. Inkbrush is one of my mains and I don’t use Ink Armor at all, but they definitely go together. Seems like it’ll make fighting Blasters and Dynamos much less scary.

Clapples are another one I love the look of. They remind me of the vanilla Inkbrush’s mixups and I think they’ll be just as effective as an offensive support - just trading the inking potential for range, scouting and a lack of finger-twist-bend-backy syndrome.

I’m a little peeved that there isn’t a Flingza pick, but I don’t think anything could improve on the vanilla kit anyway so it’s kind of a moot point.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Bamboozler 14 MK III has taken a mantle of my goofing off Turf War weapon. I did find an affinity with messing with Bamboozler after MPU was added, MK III now having an aggressive bomb which actually compliments the weapon's ability to pick off damage players is very nice.

Heavy Remix also seems interesting but I can't find myself subbing my Heavy Deco out for it as my Splat Zones weapon. I just find Bubble Blower to be better to taking or asserting a zone compared to Booyah Bombs somewhat dodgy painting (especially when walls are involved).

Starry Day

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4634-9117-7313
Bamboozler 14 MK III has taken a mantle of my goofing off Turf War weapon. I did find an affinity with messing with Bamboozler after MPU was added, MK III now having an aggressive bomb which actually compliments the weapon's ability to pick off damage players is very nice.

Heavy Remix also seems interesting but I can't find myself subbing my Heavy Deco out for it as my Splat Zones weapon. I just find Bubble Blower to be better to taking or asserting a zone compared to Booyah Bombs somewhat dodgy painting (especially when walls are involved).
I agree; in fact, I've found the Heavy Remix particularly well-suited as an anchor role in Clam Blitz, for some reason. Booyah Bombs are great at clearing specific areas, whether the basket or somewhere near it, and the Point Sensors let you track down and pick off enemies with your range, since Clam Blitz can be more of a camping game now that more people understand the mode.

_Alex_

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2820-9957-0983
Can you elaborate on this for me? I saw the kit and my immediate thought was that these will ruin my life as a backliner.
what I mean by that is the only thing dapples have going for them is the torpedos giving them something to do in the downtime of fights, but other than that why not pick tetras. I will admit I did underestimate clapples but my pooint is that it is a super short ranged weapon so when using splashdown you will either get shot down or not be able to follow up after it. torpedos are nice and this weapon still has uses, but I personally think it's still underwhelming to a degree.

Starry Day

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4634-9117-7313
what I mean by that is the only thing dapples have going for them is the torpedos giving them something to do in the downtime of fights, but other than that why not pick tetras. I will admit I did underestimate clapples but my pooint is that it is a super short ranged weapon so when using splashdown you will either get shot down or not be able to follow up after it. torpedos are nice and this weapon still has uses, but I personally think it's still underwhelming to a degree.
True. That's a very good, balanced opinion of the Clapples, to me. I've heard too many people either praise it as the greatest weapon ever in spite of its obvious deficiencies or just dismiss it entirely.

Metasepia

Inkling Cadet
Well, in my opinion, Clapples greatest feature, is it's aesthetic. And it isn't even clear.

But in my opinion, I see it as a potential Clam blitz counter pick because it's insane dps and splashdown allow it to manage Tenta brella in that mode. It also might see use as a nouveau replacement in Rm because main+special for deleting anything, given that it is in your range. Splashdown hardly leaves much combo potential with the main aside from torpedo, which you can throw before splashdowning an opponent to either leave them to get hit by torp if they aim at you, or get hit by your splashdown if they take down the torp. And if you manage to chip dmg them with splash than you can at least roll torpedo as a less effective pseudo burst to finish them off. As for the play style, it's more aggro than both other dapps, and torp allows you to better pester opponents despite your range.

awedry

Full Squid
Hi everyone,
I've played with three of the new Sheldon's Picks weapons and would love to share my thoughts...

Heavy Splatling Remix: Pretty solid, a viable anchor option instead of the vanilla Heavy... but only if Sting Ray isn't the superior special based on the map or mode. I tried the Heavy Remix in Tower to good effect and it seems better than vanilla Heavy in Clams, but I'd still use vanilla in Rainmaker and Deco in Zones. Booyah Bomb comes out pretty fast even without Sprinkler to help it along. I like Sensors on this especially with how cheap they are to toss out now. You get two more full charges after, more than enough to last the duration of the tracking time - and I hope it gives the slayers on my team an easier time doing their job.

Grim Range Blaster: I had fun with this weapon though I'm woefully inconsistent with it, getting 8-10 splats in one game but then only 1-2 splats in the next. I need more practice for sure, but I felt more comfortable with this than the other two Range Blasters thanks to the Burst Bombs picking up where my accuracy leaves off. Would love to hear a take on the Grim from someone who mains Range Blasters and has more experience than me, and I'm curious what gear they might run with it (besides Main Saver).

N-ZAP '83: I was pretty hyped to see this weapon with Rain on it, but in play it's very underwhelming. It paints like crazy and puts out lots of Rain, but I found myself constantly wishing for the bombs of the '85 or '89 as it's too easy for ranged weapons to zone the '83 out. I feel like if you want a support weapon that spams Rain, you might be better off with the Custom Jr. (which has an even cheaper special with Autobombs to boot), or Splat Brella with its superior versatility.

Thinking of trying the Soda Slosher next!

~A.

awedry

Full Squid
Hi everyone,
Grim Range Blaster: I had fun with this weapon though I'm woefully inconsistent with it, getting 8-10 splats in one game but then only 1-2 splats in the next. I need more practice for sure, but I felt more comfortable with this than the other two Range Blasters thanks to the Burst Bombs picking up where my accuracy leaves off. Would love to hear a take on the Grim from someone who mains Range Blasters and has more experience than me, and I'm curious what gear they might run with it (besides Main Saver).
I've played the Grim a bit more and settled on a build. Feedback welcome!
Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.33.56 PM.png

(yes, it's the vanilla Range, but close enough)
Main Saver (two mains, four subs) - allows 14 shots instead of 9 from full ink. More useful than Ink Recovery thanks to the long delay to start refilling ink on this weapon.
Sub Saver (one sub) - seemingly insignificant, but in conjunction with the Main Saver this allows for 8 shots after one Burst Bomb or 3 shots after two from full ink. Other combinations or Main and Sub Saver feel wasteful.
Swim Speed (one main) - for spacing and general usefulness.
Quick Super Jump (two subs) - for getting back in, but more especially for escaping. Grim's kit feels more anchor-oriented than the other two Range Blasters and I find myself bailing more often (though this could be an error in my playstyle).
Special Saver (two subs) - building special is rough; getting splatted makes it that much worse... this saves 30-ish more points if splatted before launching Missiles.

I've been tempted to bump up Swim Speed a bit more in place of Quick Super Jump or Special Saver. Also heard that Comeback is popular for blasters but I'm not fully sold...

~A.

Stardust

Semi-Pro Squid
Splitting Remix is pretty dope, matches my playstyle well. I also really like the Camo Tent! The Banhammer is super fun to yeet from behind the shield.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Aerospray PG-It's definitely the best of the Aerosprays, but I suppose that isn't saying much.

Bamboo 3-Probably the best weapon in the game if you become a god with it.

Cherry H3-Wall is nice, but Bubble Blower doesn't work well with the terribly inconsistent main weapon.

Clear Dapples-My least favorite weapon after Ballpoint. I hate this thing. Very very good.

Fresh Squiffer-I never thought I'd ever mutter the words bad Goo Tuber.

Grim-Worse than in S1, but still really good.

Heavy Remix-Good. Very, very good.

Nzap 83-Good on maps where Brella isn't, apparently those exist.

Permabrush-Overhyped, overrated, mediocre.

Soda Slosher-I've always secretly believed Burst Rush was good. Now you all have to deal with it. MWAHAHAHA!

Sploosh 7-Best Sploosh, but it's a Sploosh.

Camo Tenta-Good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom