• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Thoughts on the Dark Tetra Dualies

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I have to admit that when this weapon first released I was super excited! A pair of Dualies that get four freakin' dodge rolls at a time? And they can fire while rolling? Wait, and it comes with Auto Bombs and Splashdown too? Sign me up! This weapon is going to be amazing!

After spending some time with them I find that I don't really like them as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's just me but I find that this weapon doesn't really feel quite right. It's like it wants to be a jack of all trades but it doesn't have the range to challenge things like the Splattershot Pros but it fires too slowly to reliably take on Aerosprays or Splattershots. Maybe my expectations were through the roof on this one? Maybe I don't understand the weapon enough well? Maybe I like the thought of making Tetris jokes about this weapon more than I like using it?

Whatever the case, I would like to have some other opinions to work with so I can decide whether or not to keep going down the Dark Tetra path and see where it goes, or perhaps take that fork in the road to Custom Blaster road and see where that goes. Please let me know what you think!

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
So, I'm really terrible at dodge rolling (and one of my best skills is in jump-RNG spoofing and jump-strafiing), which makes me pretty useless at all dualies. That means my reaction to them has to be kind of based on how they perform against me. Even more so than any other dualies, I find their success against me is entirely dependent on how well they aim while dodge rolling. I can destroy anyone who doesn't do it well, and I get caught off guard by any who do. It might be cheese at this point (afterall, the muscle memory to react to a gun that can shoot WHILE dodge rolling isn't there yet), but I think it's going to remain decently powerful in the right hands but a niche pick in the current meta.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Thus far my greatest annoyances with the weapon are it's immense inaccuracy when not dodging and the long movement cooldown/endlag anytime you stop rolling/sliding.

Especially that second one! Feels like the majority of the time I got splatted was because of that cooldown. But when it works out it works for you, as in the clip below where the cooldown nearly gets me splatted repeatedly while getting me out of trouble at the same time. I'm also almost competent enough to keep myself constantly scooting as I space out my dodges.

Fire rate could also use some work too. If you still find some likeability in it, I suggest at least keeping them around as a pocket pick as they hopefully should improve in the next few patches. But then again, I keep telling myself that about the gloogas too... ^^;

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
I was the same as @Dark Sage Walker at first so I tried them out in the testing range.

I didn't even buy them after that.

But the thing I like about it is that so many people were trying it out so I could easily outmatch them with my brella

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
It feels kind of redundant, to be honest. It's kit is bland and redundant in a meta that has absolutely no shortage of sets with Splashdowns and bombs. It's dodge rolls are less of a mobility tool and more of a gimmick, forcing you to awkwardly keep rolling to be able to shoot at players.

Having no niche to fill i think this'll get underused once the next new weapon pops out.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
I just realised they’re called tetra because it’s a four hit kill, can roll 4 times, and there’s 4 nozzles to shoot ink from. Not sure about dark though because they’re mostly white heheh. Overall though I think the dodge rolls look really weird and as such the movement is as weird and disjointed as it looks. The distance rolled also seems to be somewhere between the larger rolls of the Dualies squelchers and the dapples, but I haven’t fully checked. Overall, it just feels like it fills a weird niche that isn’t quite there, but it does keep people on their toes as the weird movement can be difficult to keep track of and stay accurate. I can’t see it hitting the meta anytime soon, but it’s worth keeping track of as it definitely has its strengths.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
It sounds like the feedback I am getting so far matches my current experience with the weapon. I'll keep working with them on and off, but right now I am working with other weapons to discover their strengths and weaknesses. I've been having a good time of it so far, but the worst is yet to come. Practicing with the Inkbrushes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom