• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Thoughts on the two new weapons?

hoo

Inkling
NNID
jawsbenjamin3
Switch Friend Code
SW-5606-6403-6999
Ballpoint Splatling: Toxic mist and inkjet .Max range is same as hydra (might change?)

Explosher: Sprinkler and bubble blower. Slightly longer range than rapid pro.

Inkling kirby

Semi-Pro Squid
Took me a while to find this on the "Find out what's fresh" thread in regular discussion, but I did, and the kits are still exactly the same as the ones datamined when this was posted. (You can't see them here, but there's a link).

Well, past drama/nonsense aside.
Info for all, courtesy of the friendly and sharing soul that brought us the original(and highly accurate) weapon kits leak!

A few new main weapons(not new weapon classes) that are buried in the files and probably highly experimental. As no models were found (to my knowledge) this stuff is highly tentative and may never see the light of day, officially, in game.
anyways, for those of us used to this sort of data news, this disclaimer is unnecessary.
(also direct quotes will be in blue text) ON TO THE DATA

Bathtub,
a possible "heavy" slosher.
"it looks like it can deal 60dmg.
Range is around the same as vanilla slosher, but slightly less.
Can deal 140dmg with a "direct" and is slow"

A Hydra and an inkstorm had a baby, and their child is
The downpour splatling
"new splatling frame data (compared to heavy and hydra splatlings)
Charge time:
Heavy 1st
(circle): 50
Heavy 2nd circle: 75
Downpour 1st: 60
Downpour 2nd: 90
hydra 1st: 120
hydra 2nd: 150

Shoot time:
heavy 1st: 72
heavy 2nd: 144
Downpour 1st: 105
Downpour 2nd: 210
hydra 1st: 120
hydra 2nd: 240

Frames between shots:
Heavy: 4
Downpour: 3
Hydra: 4"

And last,
a splatling that can hold a charge, the same as unscoped chargers. . .
The Seiren
"Range seems to be a placeholder, its the same as Heavy rn
Shoot velocity
Heavy: 21 units/frame
Seiren: 19.5 units/frame
Dmg is 28 (for both)

Charge time:
Heavy 1st: 50
Heavy 2nd circle: 75
Seiren 1st: 50
Seiren 2nd: 75

Shoot time:
heavy 1st: 72 heavy 2nd: 144
seiren 1st: 60 seiren 2nd: 120
this is the interesting part same charge time but less range/shoot duration but instead charge hold.

(Why) cant goo tuber (have these stats)?"

And here are the kits the data had,
again, VERY susceptible to change(or never appear, if the weapons get axed)
as with any of this secret experimental stuff, really.
View attachment 6339

And that is all they shared (for now)
If the person leaks more, and no one else shares it here, I'll post again.
If y'all want to make a separate thread for this leak type stuff, I'll leave that to you guys.

EDIT: well I tried to post during the backup, and SplatoonJP posted this while I waited so here it is too
for those interested in official weapon releases

have fun with information overload =3

Anyways, back out of your hair, peace.
This post mentions the alternate kit for the ballpoint, which was datamined back in like March or April I think. It also mentions other weapons that weren't revealed at E3. If you can't find them, here they are.
Ballpoint Splatling (Nouveau? Just guessing): Splat Bomb and Tenta Missiles
(Custom?) Explosher: Not mentioned.

The "Bathtub" slosher weapon was datamined and later rigged up with a hero slosher as the model to show off the way it fires. It's a slosher that lobs bouncing balls of ink at a quick rate. It is a three hit kill.
Main: Splash Wall and Ink Jet
Alt: Ink Mine and Sting Ray

The "Serein" is a splatling that can allegedly hold a charge in squid form. If the ballpoint doesn't change splatling meta forever, then this will.
Main: Curling Bomb and Ink Armor
Alt: Point Sensor and Splashdown

I am a splatling dude. I love the hydra splatling's range and extra damage. This ballpoint splatling basically looks like you charge up a heavy splatling to go from a mini splatling to a hydra splatling and I love it. The kit isn't terrible, either. Inkjet tends to work better on long range weapons that normally hang out in safe places to super jump back too. Toxic mist is normally an underwhelming sub, but I can see it helping to stall enemies while building up charge. I still think this splatling will probably have a tough time against similarly ranged weapons, even harder than most splatlings usually have.

Anyway, those are my thoughts as someone who loves splatlings.

Edit: after looking at the data again, I saw that it mentioned that the ballpoint splatling apparently fires faster than the other splatlings. Looking at the video again, I realized that the first stage of the ballpoint was in fact firing at 3 frames between shots, or 20 times per second (not the second stage though). It used to be that splatlings were tied with the aerospray at 4 frames and 15 shots per second, but that is faster than both of them.

Last edited:

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
In my honest opinion, here are my opinions (that didn’t make a lot of sense there but whatever). Keep in mind I am assuming a lot of things, because we still don’t know a lot of things about the two new weapons.

1. Explosher- This seems like a heavy Sloshing Machine to me. I feel like this set will be disgusting in Tower Control. You can stay at great lengths from the Tower and still hit people. I still want a one hit Slosher really badly, but it’s never going to happen. Hopefully the shots pair well with the Bubble Blower, I could see this weapon having low turfing capability, so actually Sprinkler is probably one of the best subs for it.

2.Ballpoint Splatling- This is probably all seriously wrong, but I feel like this weapon is Splatling meta if not game whole meta Changing. From the footage Nintendo has shown off so far about it, it looks broken. It has like a Heavy Splatling Charge Time, starts off at Mini Splatling range and then builds to Hydra Splatling. Basically the more you charge, the more range. It has the 4 shot kill, and it has amazing mobility and turfing. Amazing. It’s like a Squeezer, and Hydra Splatling had a baby, and a Mini and Heavy had a baby, and those two babies eventually grew up and had a baby of their own, the BALLPOINT Splatling.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Honestly, I'm more excited about the explosher if anything. This weapon looks really fun, and it's definately looking more like a defensive weapon if anything.

It reminds me of a mini rainmaker blast, which should prove good for zoning out opponents where no other weapon could possibly hit you from. I feel like this will be a good weapon on bigger maps, as it has that safe positioning to apply pressure. But I can see this weapon being pretty bad in close range combat. But the direct + indirect combo shouldn't be too hard / demanding on players to win some gunfights.

The ballpoint splatling looks really good. First of all, the charge is great for what range you get, and the weapon looks extremely accurate. Which is something the other splatlings don't really have. But even then, you need to keep firing for a while in order to get your range, so I suspect players will see this firing away and then retreat upon sight. The paint looks alright, so I could see this being a decent paint weapon for a team.

For the kits,
Explosher with sprinkler and bubble blower.

This is a really interesting kit. The bubbles probably won't burst too quick (especially without a bomb to help pop), but the sprinkler helps it establish it's role as a backliner for sure.

Ballpoint splatling with toxic mist and inkjet

Again, really interesting, since we don't see long range weapons with inkjet all too often. Toxic mist is another really interesting choice as well (sorry if I'm overusing the word interesting right now lol ) I'm expecting Sheldon to say "Throw the toxic mist, so your opponents can't escape your long range barrage" or something like that.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Explosher: Sprinkler and bubble blower. Slightly longer range than rapid pro.
Whelp, time to start working on some Special Power Up gear.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
starts off at Mini Splatling range and then builds to Hydra Splatling.
Can we verify that the first ring is like a Mini and the second is like a Hydra? This makes sense to me, but the article on Inkipedia says that the first ring actually has the high range and as you overcharge it, it destabilizes. This made... less sense to me and I hope it's a mistake.

If it DOES morph from a Mini to a Hydra, with this fantastic mobility, then I have myself a new weapon-of-choice for sure. I'm so down.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Can we verify that the first ring is like a Mini and the second is like a Hydra? This makes sense to me, but the article on Inkipedia says that the first ring actually has the high range and as you overcharge it, it destabilizes. This made... less sense to me and I hope it's a mistake.

If it DOES morph from a Mini to a Hydra, with this fantastic mobility, then I have myself a new weapon-of-choice for sure. I'm so down.
I believe that article is incorrect

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Don't think this was shared here yet, it shows some official info and pics on the new slosher and splatling.
https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/175048344389/lets-take-a-closer-look-at-two-of-the-upcoming

The new ballpoint splatling, it has a super fast firing rate and can target far away targets with pin-point accuracy, but once the spin slows down it will start losing range and accuracy.
But also unique about it is that you can charge it while firing, not sure if the splatling 'pauses' once you begin charging mid-volley.

Overall the ballpoint splatling is looking like a squeezer/splatling hybrid, with short and winding down long charges being used for inking and possibly spray ’n pray while long-chargers are for picking off foes quickly from afar.

Wondering how long the range of the long charge is, my theory is it will have the same range of the hydra at first but it starts to fall of quick thanks to the unique mechanic whereas the hydra would still be able to fire it’s volley with no drawbacks, fitting the seemly ‘jack of all trades master of none’ nature of the ballpoint splatling.
The short range charge is probably used for fending off approaching players or just for inking, though it will depend on how much RNG the shots end up having.
It would be pretty weird if a splatling goes aerospray but I’ll take it.

Being both a fan of: the squeezer, splatlings and versatile weapons as a whole, I’m looking forward to see how this all plays out.

Now for the explosher, a straightforward weapon.
It has incredible range and trajectory but slow firing rate, basically a dynamo version of the sloshing machine. (or a balanced explosive version of the grizco slosher)

Despite not being too big on the sloshing machine myself, the ‘heavy’ nature interests my.

Both kits seem weird too my (in a good way), but I'll leave my judgement until I'll try it, especially since i'm not expierenced with both specials tbh.

I really like how they keep adding in new weapons with unique traits despite the updates seemly reaching their end, hopefully the bathtub slosher and seiren splatling will see the ligt of day but that's probably wishful thinking.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224

Both ranges are shorter. The initial range of the weapon is about 3 units, which is 1 unit shorter than the Mini, about the same range as most mid-tier shooters. The long range is 5 1/2 units, which is between the Heavy and Hydra.

The initial burst of shots appears to have a slightly higher firing rate than the ranged shots. At short range, it has standard Splatling accuracy. At long range, the thing has the best accuracy of any Splatling. Subsequent charges maintain the properties of the second stage, though whether turning into a squid would cancel this is unclear.

Also contains the ability to recharge shots at anytime.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
I think that the mechanics of this weapon can be explained by saying that you can recharge in the middle of firing, but it stops the firing; therefore you can repeatedly charge the second ring without having to charge the first.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Both ranges are shorter. The initial range of the weapon is about 3 units, which is 1 unit shorter than the Mini, about the same range as most mid-tier shooters. The long range is 5 1/2 units, which is between the Heavy and Hydra.

The initial burst of shots appears to have a slightly higher firing rate than the ranged shots. At short range, it has standard Splatling accuracy. At long range, the thing has the best accuracy of any Splatling. Subsequent charges maintain the properties of the second stage, though whether turning into a squid would cancel this is unclear.

Also contains the ability to recharge shots at anytime.
I saw a little preview clip of it, and I'm still unsure what determines if it's using its high rate of fire/less accurate mode, as it didn't appear to be based on the charge ring; it almost looked like the first 0.5 seconds of unloading was inaccurate and that if you can maintain fire by charging for short periods of time and launching them right away, it retains the accuracy. It looks like run speed and ink management perks are going to be useful in using it.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Initially I was disappointed in the Explosher's kit as it wont have as much synergy with Bubble Blower as the regular Slosher would. It'll probably be much slower at popping, the shot that pops probably wont pierce, and it can't shoot over the bubbles while still hitting them (well I suppose it can with the AoE but for less dmg).

Even so, there is still the fact that it can hit over the bubbles making it unique compared to the other Bubble weapons. With it's superior range and trajectory it'll be able to take much better advantage of this than the regular Slosher could ever hope. Wish it had a better sub, but overall I'm pretty hype for this weapon now!

Reactions: the

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Ballpoint is a mini but better. It has a plan b (long range for people running away) and a panic button. OP

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
So yeah, it looks like the Ballpoint's range isn't determined by what ring of charge it's on, but rather how long you've left it firing; it unloads at close range and settles into long range after maybe half a second. You CAN start charging before the previous charge runs out, so this opens the opportunity for you to charge for a short time, unload, and repeat if you want to stay in painting mode like a Mini. It seems to paint exceptionally well, and the Aerospray rate of fire it has makes it deadly if you're rushed. After settling into its long range mode, the accuracy is gains is fantastic - it seems to be better than a Splattershot Pro but not quite 100% like a Nozzlenose/Squeezer.

I was right, I Love this weapon and I'll be using it a lot. Now ill be able to keep the support oriented role of a Mini for painting, and switch to picking people off with tremendous precision and at a fantastic range. It seems very flexible and adaptable once you figure out the mechanics properly, and if solo-queue Splatoon is nothing else, it's a game about being able to fill any role your team is missing.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
So yeah, it looks like the Ballpoint's range isn't determined by what ring of charge it's on, but rather how long you've left it firing; it unloads at close range and settles into long range after maybe half a second.
Actually, not entirely, the stage is actually more tied to a part of the ring rather than the whole ring itself.

The short burst will always and only last for a quarter of a ring. Any more than that and the weapon will switch to second stage.

But if you're recharging the weapons, the weapon will only be in the first stage between 1 3/4 and 2 ring charges. And I do specifically within that range, if the weapon goes below 1 3/4 charge, it will go back to second stage no matter how long its been firing.

Last edited:

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
Meh....tried them. Like the Zink mini splatling better still. The slosher is slower compared to others. Probably won’t be using them on a regular. The new ballpoint design is cute though.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
Ballpoint seems to have on the highest of not highest strafing speed in its short range mode?

Both are pretty tricky to use so I can't really say much yet.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
Both are pretty tricky to use so I can't really say much yet.
Don't worry, I think I might make a guide by the end of the month.

EDIT: Making a quality guide worth reading is harder than I thought.
Ballpoint seems to have on the highest of not highest strafing speed in its short range mode?
This is true. According to https://splatoonwiki.org, "Excluding rolling brushes and rolling carbon roller, with enough run speed up (3 mains 2 subs), [Ballpoint Splatling], while holding ZR, has the highest movement speed of all weapons in Splatoon 2 and Splatoon. Maxing out at a whopping 1.25du/f.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Don't worry, I think I might make a guide by the end of the month.

This is true. According to https://splatoonwiki.org, "Excluding rolling brushes and rolling carbon roller, with enough run speed up (3 mains 2 subs), [Ballpoint Splatling], while holding ZR, has the highest movement speed of all weapons in Splatoon 2 and Splatoon. Maxing out at a whopping 1.25du/f.
I thought it was fast, but I thought it was just my imagination. That's insane. Coupled with great range and the ability to not have to charge from the beginning is insane. The kit doesn't fit the weapon well, in my opinion. It's much better suited for a frontliner who wants to be aggressive.

The explosher looks really good as a backliner, especially with it's insane arc shots and falloff damage. But it seems very weak up close thanks to the fact it can only do 90 damage with a single slosh and it's a hard angle to hit as well. Add that with the end lag it has and it's quite possibly the weakest weapon up close. But this thing looks like it can zone you out for days, and it's custom tailored for humpback.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
The explosher looks really good as a backliner, especially with it's insane arc shots and falloff damage. But it seems very weak up close thanks to the fact it can only do 90 damage with a single slosh and it's a hard angle to hit as well. Add that with the end lag it has and it's quite possibly the weakest weapon up close. But this thing looks like it can zone you out for days, and it's custom tailored for humpback.
I was thinking that it would be really good for the Tenta Brella as it they can support each other while pushing forward. I was wondering why Nintendo didn't give this Splash Wall because it feels like a weapon that would have it. Any Ideas on their second variants? Explosher should have Splash Wall/Inkjet and Ballpoint should get .... I don't know. It already has a good kit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom