• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Thoughts on the two new weapons?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
For the explosher, I'd probably run something like this.
upload_2018-7-2_18-27-28.png

It's mostly the same as what others have posted, but I like comeback. Special Saver I put on so I can get it in a pinch. But I could see Opening Gambit / Tenacity for the hat main ability. Comeback is just the best thing for me.

But if you have slots to waste, waste them on qr or quick super jump I guess.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
That's pretty much what I'm running, too, except I run out of ink a lot, so I pretty much always run Ink Saver (Main) and Ink Recovery Up. So Comeback, Object Shredder, and 0.9-1 main each of ISM, IRU, SPU, and SS.

I can see Quick Super Jump, though--being able to jump out is a real boon for this thing.

Flammie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlammieLL
I think explosher could enter the metagame. It's doing pretty well for itself as a backline role. Especially with those bubbles and the sprinkler to keep turf on its side. But yeah, I imagine it's going to be one of those weapons where people won't use it because it takes effort.
I didn't specify properly, the Explosher have hit issues, if you throw it on a slope or a different elevated area, even if it is in the explosion radius, if the enemy stands a little above the slope, or on a different ground by just a few pixel, the shots will miss entirely.
So in certain situations, it's possible for people to simply just jump, in order to dodge an explosher shot.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I didn't specify properly, the Explosher have hit issues, if you throw it on a slope or a different elevated area, even if it is in the explosion radius, if the enemy stands a little above the slope, or on a different ground by just a few pixel, the shots will miss entirely.
So in certain situations, it's possible for people to simply just jump, in order to dodge an explosher shot.
Hmm I think I've heard others say this, though I somehow haven't noticed it myself. Maybe that has something to do with how the Explosher doesn't paint walls even when the explosion is right next to one.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
Hmm I think I've heard others say this, though I somehow haven't noticed it myself. Maybe that has something to do with how the Explosher doesn't paint walls even when the explosion is right next to one.
Or floors, if you hit a wall. It’s also only possible to hit people on the tower in TC by hitting the floor of the tower, which can be difficult.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
To me at least, the Explosher feels like a dynamo version of the Sloshing Machine; complete with slightly different mechanics.

Mechanics that cab require a near frustrating amount of predicting! Predicting when and where your shots will land. Predicting when and where someone will be. Then account for the explosion hitbox being smaller than the ink radius, so someone can get stuck in ink but take no damage whatsoever. Then account for the trickiness of reliably landing the double-hit with both direct and indirect damage when you're not aiming directly down at someone—mrgrgr!—I can see why most people wouldn't want to use this! Especially when you have to deal with rushdowns and/or teammates unable to protect the backline.

Haven't figured out even one setup of gear yet as I've mostly been working on aim every time I've used it. Though I have been toying between Tenacity, Last-Ditch Effort, and Comeback as I either need to stay on the field as long as possible, desperate tide-turning/stalling artillery fire, or getting back into the field and getting back to work as fast as possible.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
So it turns out my assumptions were correct, yay.
Have some new opinions on it:
The ballpoint Splatling is basically a Squeezer Splatling, like I said before. But now I think it is even more broken, it just needs some more skill to use. With this weapon you can play backliner or a midliner. You can basically stay Mini range with increased mobility, accuracy, and paint coverage. Or you could go backliner and be a more accurate Hydra, with once again basically the same range (same damage range but Hydra has more painting range slightly). So this isn’t exactly the case with the Squeezer, the Squeezer has to worse counter parts that are meshed together, the Ballpoint has two counter parts that are in most cases considered better than their counterparts. Basically, this is Nintendo giving us a weapon that requires a little more skill than average, but it has amazing potential, which is perfect for the meta.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
If you want my opinion on the Explosher, it’s basically a gimmic Slosher that is currently underpowered, mainly because of generally low damage, slow fire rate, and low paint coverage. This weapon takes serious skill to use, and even then it’s still kinda hard. The kit only half supports the weapon, with a Bubbler not meshing well. Sprinkler is really good here, although I would prefer a burst bomb, because this weapon would be awesome with burst canceling. If I were to buff it I would say more normal non direct+Splash, just have the direct do more and the splash do less. Have higher fire rate. And for a new kit probably burst or Splash Wall and Ink Jet. Also this weapon has a not well known gimmick that I would like to point out, it pierces like a charger, it can hit multiple things at once. I think Nintendo was trying to make that more well known, like this is what this weapon is about, and generally weapons with gimmicks aren’t to good, unless if the gimmick is weapon class wide (Dualies, Brella)

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I don't like how the Explosher is being treated in this thread, so here are my two cents on the matter.

Explosher is like Inkjet where you have to guide your shots to your opponent, or basically predict where they're going to go. The slow fire rate is compensated by it's painting range and damage. The kit is good as the Sprinkler is like the Sprinkler on the Dynamo of the first game, and Bubbles help to create more walls that the Explosher can shoot over. I think that this weapon was made for large groups of enemies like in Splat Zones, Rainmaker, or even Clam Blitz.

If people are still underestimating its power, then send them this video :)

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I don't like how the Explosher is being treated in this thread, so here are my two cents on the matter.

Explosher is like Inkjet where you have to guide your shots to your opponent, or basically predict where they're going to go. The slow fire rate is compensated by it's painting range and damage. The kit is good as the Sprinkler is like the Sprinkler on the Dynamo of the first game, and Bubbles help to create more walls that the Explosher can shoot over. I think that this weapon was made for large groups of enemies like in Splat Zones, Rainmaker, or even Clam Blitz.

If people are still underestimating its power, then send them this video :)

I kind of agree on this. It's probably not the best solo queue weapon because: 1. Support weapons don't tend to do as well in solo. 2. It pairs so well with very specific comps (basically, at least two other splash/AOE damage weapons). 3. As a backline slosher, a lot of its appeal is in the ability to thrive in positions where the player can make callouts while surveying the entire map.

Basically, this weapon is a bully as long as you have good AOE frontliners to hold the other team back from rushing you down. That's amazing in anything 4P/competitive but it's hit or miss in solo ranked because you have to kind of luck into a good comp for it there.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
So far, for the past couple of weeks I've only been having solo experience with the Explosher. At the best of times it's like a fighting game player that wins by only spamming projectiles while zoning you out. So unless the other team can counter it or any good position it finds, the Explosher can be a bully, a jerk, an a-hole worth seabagging, and a long range salt slosher that cheeses its way through a match.

And yes, I have shamelessly cheesed my way through multiple matches (A thru low S+) where I just chilled in one or two spots then spammed my full kit the entire time. I either win or finally lose somewhere in the last 30secs or overtime---wow that's some cathartic seabagging there... fine, you earned it.

Having AOE teammates can be useful but even without, as long as they run interference, counter the counters threatening you, make use of your bubbles, or capitalize on your volleys as point sensors and escape routes then you can create some pretty disgusting matches--e.g. Camp Triggerfish Splat Zones.

Also, Binx's observation below is accurate:
Code:
https://mobile.twitter.com/binx_splatoon/status/1013763051386961920

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Actually, not entirely, the stage is actually more tied to a part of the ring rather than the whole ring itself.

The short burst will always and only last for a quarter of a ring. Any more than that and the weapon will switch to second stage.

But if you're recharging the weapons, the weapon will only be in the first stage between 1 3/4 and 2 ring charges. And I do specifically within that range, if the weapon goes below 1 3/4 charge, it will go back to second stage no matter how long its been firing.
I wanted to follow up on this, because after some testing, failing, thinking, and more testing, I’ve figured out what determines the stage the Ballpoint is at. I’m sure I’m late to the party here, but because I don’t see it in writing on the forums it’s worth sharing all the same.

For the sake of explaining this clearer, let’s say that a splatling’s charging ring is measured in “units” of charge, with one ring being 100 and two rings being 200 units. You begin by charging the Ballpoint, and as soon as you let go to start firing, the game records that charge as a set point. Between that set point and 25 units lower (1/4 ring), you’ll be firing in the low range mode. Any lower, and the weapon fires in long range mode until your charge rings are depleated.

So for example: if I charge to 150 units before opening fire, I’ll be in low range between 150 and 125 units, and long range between 125 and 0. If I let the charge fall to, say, 25 units and charge back up to 100 units, the weapon stays in long range the whole time. If I charge back up and reach 175 units of charge, the game establishes 175 as the new set point so that the 150-175 window is short range and 0-150 is long range.

The tactical conclusion I can draw from this is that if you are currently in a safe place and wish to pressure from a distance, you’ll want to charge up as much as possible to achieve the largest long-range window as possible (0-175). If you ever have to switch to short range mode in a pinch, be sure to squidform first to reset the charge, then charge between 0-25 units repeatedly.

I should point out that the transition between range modes is not instantaneous, and instead the weapon will start transitioning between modes a tad early and will REACH the next mode as soon as 25 charge units have been used.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Excuse the double post, but it has been almost a month.

I’ve been scouring parameter files and I just can’t figure out what the Ballpoint’s fire rate is in its long range mode. Standard Splatlings fire at 1 bullet per 4 frames (15/s), and low-range Ballpoint is one per 3 frames (20/s). Long-range feels noticeably slower and I think it’s one per 5 frames, but I’d like confirmation if anyone has access to that kind of recording equipment or game data.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Excuse the double post, but it has been almost a month.

I’ve been scouring parameter files and I just can’t figure out what the Ballpoint’s fire rate is in its long range mode. Standard Splatlings fire at 1 bullet per 4 frames (15/s), and low-range Ballpoint is one per 3 frames (20/s). Long-range feels noticeably slower and I think it’s one per 5 frames, but I’d like confirmation if anyone has access to that kind of recording equipment or game data.
Close ranged mode is 3 frames, being the faster firing weapon in multiplayer. Long ranged is 5 frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom