• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Tips For A Rank?

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
As I climb the ladder and make it further than I ever thought I would what tips can you give an aspiring S ranker?
I main the Jet Squelcher and my questions are these.

What should I do when my team is being destroyed? It's times like these I'm likely to bite off more than I can chew.

What abilities should I pick up?

Is Toxic Mist worth it?

Should I just swap to the Custom? if so what's the optimal method of Stingray and Burst Bomb usage.

Should I try and compensate for any mistakes my teammates might make? and if so how?

Last edited:

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
Custom Jet Squelcher is generally considered the stronger option.

A lot of CJS users load up on Sub Power Up, usually around 2 mains. Or 1 main, 3 subs. So they can toss the burst bombs roughly the same distance as the Jet fires.

And sting ray is a top tier special, it’s especially powerful in rainmaker and tower control.

That said, toxic mist is still a very good sub weapon. And Tenta missiles were recently buffed. The vanilla Jet Squelcher is not a terrible kit. You should play what works best for you. But in general the vanilla kit is not held at as high of esteem as Custom Jet.

Enperry

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ssjplt
Switch Friend Code
SW-0405-1788-8108
The Holy Trinity of things that will always work when trying to get better at Splatoon are aim, movement, and the right mindset. Keep in mind the "Golden Rule of Splatoon" - When considering any action in Splatoon, if the chance of you getting splatted is higher than not, decide if the positive outcome is worth the gamble, then execute the best option."

You probably know this already, but with the Jet Squelcher, you need to be extremely defensive. Always on high ground depending on the stage. Also know your range well enough to instantly know if you should follow through with killing someone or just running away.

Switch to custom. Just do it. Burst Bomb lets you cover walls to climb quicker and Sting Ray is arguably the best special right now.

As for abilities, I'd go with Ink saver main, run speed up, and Thermal Ink.

Good luck with your future games!

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
The Holy Trinity of things that will always work when trying to get better at Splatoon are aim, movement, and the right mindset. Keep in mind the "Golden Rule of Splatoon" - When considering any action in Splatoon, if the chance of you getting splatted is higher than not, decide if the positive outcome is worth the gamble, then execute the best option."

You probably know this already, but with the Jet Squelcher, you need to be extremely defensive. Always on high ground depending on the stage. Also know your range well enough to instantly know if you should follow through with killing someone or just running away.

Switch to custom. Just do it. Burst Bomb lets you cover walls to climb quicker and Sting Ray is arguably the best special right now.

As for abilities, I'd go with Ink saver main, run speed up, and Thermal Ink.

Good luck with your future games!
While yes the first part is tru about improvement, I’d like to restate some of the reasons to switch to custom and such. First off, the vanilla jet had absolutely no effective options to get back into the map after losing control. It has no bombs to bait people, and doesn’t have a special that actually kills people. The cjs on the other hand, has these things. The main reason for burst bombs isn’t just to climb walls faster though . I suppose yes they are good at that, but mainly they’re so spammable and get nice damage and paint and just overall pressure on people. Not to mention, you can run some sub power up (as recommended) and use them to help secure splats. Secondly, stingray is so much better than tentamissiles. If you still don’t understand why, lemme give a quick narrative. You’re locked out of the map and are struggling to find a foothold to take mid. If you have tentamissiles, oh no the other team has to move for a second amongst all the ink they have on the ground. Now if you have stingray, you can pop that and secure a nice splat or two or more. Using the map during stingray helps to know whether you should sweep right or left or up or whatever. While yes tentamissiles can be helpful to apply good pressure at a choke, so does stingray, but better. Also stingray helps to get back into the game which is arguably the most important thing to be able to make sure you can do. Especially in splat zones. This also happens to be why inkjet is the best special in the game right now because it does that the best of all specials.

If you decide to switch to custom jet squelcher, I’d recommend about a pure of sub power up, ink recovery is a good one to have, and maybe respawn punisher or quick super jump or special saver or special charge/power. Swim is good too.

As for general improvement, do aim drills. Watch competitive streams and try to learn from them. But most importantly give it time and be patient with your progress and you’ll be ranking up in no time. I wish you good luck!

Daxxie

Senior Squid
NNID
Dax
Switch Friend Code
SW-3813-3439-7790
Alright thank you, but how would I best go about farming chunks? Scrubbing gear is expensive, and Salmon Run is too unreliable.

AC1

Inkster Jr.
Best way to farm chunks is to scrubbing gear.

Do not try farming chunks using sea snails. You need a crazy amount (greater than 350 sea snails) of sea snails to unlock every single gear slot.

Tenacity is a ability you want to use for rank matches.

Last edited:

saint_kthulhu

Full Squid
Best way to farm chunks is to scrubbing gear.

Do not try farming chunks using sea snails. You need a crazy amount (greater than 350 sea snails) of sea snails to unlock every single gear slot.

Tenacity is a ability you want to use for rank matches.
You can use sea snails to re-roll.

And you keep the 3 ability chunks that were on the gear when you roll. So IMO sea snails are the fastest way to rack up chunks.

I mean, why do you need to unlock every slot on every piece of gear? It’s an absurd amount of gear, most of which you’ll likely never use.

Not to mention if you buy gear with alternate main abilities off splatnet or others in the lobby, you could end up losing gear slots you had previously picked up via snail.

Last edited:

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
Your first question is a great one and it leads to a very important tip: stay alive! When your team is getting destroyed, the best thing you can do (especially as a backliner, which is what the Jet Squelcher is for) is stay alive. Back off, don’t get agressive, just get somewhere safe that your teammates can jump to after they respawn, build your special, paint important parts of the map (paths to the objective), and don’t get splatted. There are lots of ways to be successful in Splatoon, but from what I have seen the most surefire way is to be able to play the objective (i.e. don’t just hide in the corner) without getting splatted.

AC1

Inkster Jr.
You earn roughly one sea snail (one level is 100000 xp [assume your current level 50 or higher]) every 8 hours (before applying xp tickets).

You earn roughly ~20000 gold every 2 hours (before applying gold tickets).

Hence the fastest way to earn chunks is to scrub.

Salmon run give nice rewards if you perform well in salmon run. You can earn 12 rewards including a minimum of 2 super bonus rewards in 1.75 hours if you play salmon run and have a good salmon run.

Salmon run rewards are chunks, drinks tickets, food tickets (xp and gold) and gold.

You want to unlock every slot on every piece of gear to give yourself more options in forming perfect gear builds.

Save the perfect gear build on a splatoon amiibo.

Last edited:

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Alright thank you, but how would I best go about farming chunks? Scrubbing gear is expensive, and Salmon Run is too unreliable.
If you're looking to get gear personalised to your needs, I feel like it's important to play Salmon Run, for money more than anything. I haven't played much multiplayer as of late, due to my work schedule being insane, and yet I have over 2,000,000 Cash accumulated just from playing Salmon Run for an hour each new shift - an hour is all it takes to get to the 1,200 point Super Bonus when you're Profreshional 400+. The Cash capsule Super Bonus gives a guaranteed 32,000, and you get two of them. On top of this, all clothing rewards either give you 4,000 Cash, 1 chunk, or 3 chunks when you opt not to take it. Finally, playing Salmon Run lets you play with every main weapon in the game, so you begin to develop an understanding of their strengths and weaknesses, as well as how to position yourself and their effective ranges. This will begin to improve your awareness in how other people will likely move using their weapons, because you have some prior experience with them.

Clearly you can play multiplayer between shifts and get even more money, so there's that.

Now that you have the money, your quest for decent gear can continue with ease. I highly recommend planning out what you're looking to get for your weapons, and maybe apply some modularity to them. The best way to add abilities to your clothes is by playing Ranked with a drink boosting the ability you want, and you can upgrade as many as 3 pieces at a time. If they're 2 star, playing a single game is enough to put a sub ability in the first slot (at least in... I think S rank or higher. Maybe A+). If your first ability isn't what you're looking for, wipe it straight away. That's right, 20k for a single chunk. The purpose of this isn't just to get chunks faster, because it's pretty expensive, but rather this lets you reduce the amount of time required to get 2x or 3x of your preferred ability on your gear. If the first ability is what you're looking for, keep it and play until the last two abilities are revealed. Because you've guaranteed that the first perk is what you want, the probability of getting at least two of the sub perks you're looking for is significantly higher.

What I mean by "modularity" is finding a way to get as many useful gear sets as possible with as few pieces of clothing (You'll want to keep an eye on Splatnet 2 for things that have a combination of Main ability and brand, and aesthetics if you're into that like me.). For my own case, I wanted to theme a set of clothing for my Splatlings, as I use them all fairly frequently. With Splatlings, a common theme is applying Run Speed so I tried to centre the sets around Rockenberg's leather jackets for the brand-boosted ability. I wrote out exactly what abilities I wanted for each weapon, separated into a total of 6 main equivalents, then grouped them together based on how often they occurred. For example on the speedier and close range Splatlings, like the Mini and Ballpoint, I wanted Ninja Squid. Conveniently I have the White Inky Rider with that, so that took care of Ninja Squid and one main of Run Speed.

The abilities I use are not immediately important for you, but notice that there's a fair amount of overlap between what clothes are used: the White Inky Rider and Punk Whites both show up in three sets, for example. I find that as long as the Clothes and Shoes work together, you can play around with headgear and still make it look good. This is just an aesthetic note, because I consider this when making gear sets.

As an addition to the modularity above, I also selected one main ability that I thought was the least useful for that set, one I could go without if I had to, and I made sure it was the main ability of the shoes AND that my shoes had 3x Run Speed subs. This allows me to swap out the shoes for the Neo Octoling Boots with Object Shredder and 3x Run Speed. I use these more often for Rainmaker or if I expect a lot of Ballers or Splash Walls.

I recently found out that when you use drinks to boost your clothing upgrades, the game initially determines if you get that particular sub ability (30%), and if you don't roll that, then the game will start to randomly select abilities until it lands on some ability other than the boosted one. I believe it still uses the probability of the gear, meaning Krak-On is still less likely to roll Bomb Defence.

An alternative option if you're tired of playing with unfilled gear slots is to pick three articles of clothing that you'll ALWAYS use together, and use 10 chunks per ability once on each piece. For example rather than doing this:

:ability_tenacity:|:ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_runspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

You can do this:

:ability_tenacity:|:ability_defenseup::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:
:ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_defenseup::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:
:ability_runspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:

You get the same effect of ~1 main of Bomb Defence, Run Speed, and Ink Saver Main, but rather than spending 10, 20, and 30 chunks on the slots, you can instead spend 10, 10, and 10. This method has far less modularity, but if a clothing set really works together it's an option. It's ALSO useful if you just keep getting 2x on your gear rather than 3x subs:

:ability_tenacity::ability_runspeed:|:ability_quickrespawn::ability_runspeed: -> :ability_tenacity:|:ability_runspeed::ability_defenseup::ability_runspeed:
:ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_quicksuperjump: -> :ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed:
:ability_runspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_specialduration::ability_defenseup: -> :ability_runspeed:|:ability_defenseup::ability_inksavermain::ability_defenseup:

Your abilities may not look pretty together, but you still get the effect of ~1 main over the course of your entire gear set, and it only takes 10 chunks to repair the bad ability and not 30. Again, this reduces modularity but it's an option to keep in mind if you plan on using the gear together anyway. Lastly, you could repair a bad slot with either :ability_defenseup:/:ability_specialsaver:; a single sub of Bomb Defence is enough to survive 2 indirect inkjet slots (reducing the damage from 50 to just under) and 2 near misses from Tenta Missiles. As a Jet Squelcher player, this will be incredibly important for you. The single sub of Special Saver is more subjective, but I've heard that it's a fairly substantial quantity saved even for one sub. As a Jet player, you shouldn't be dying much if at all, so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

One FM

Inkster Jr.
The Jet Squelcher shots are weak, so if you're in A rank, I'm sure you could take your aim up a notch. Also, get keen on what's going on in your map, and status info up top of your screen. It doesnt go through ink too fast, so I would use some Special Up abilities, and maybe swim/run speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom