• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Touhou Social Thread?

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Kinda surprised to see there wasn't one already!

Touhou is a bullet hell shmup series with lots of cute girls.

Anyways, who else was surprised by Koishi winning the recent popularity poll? It made me pretty happy~

Senliten

Inkling
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Not really surprised, it was bound to happen at one point. Dat scarlet sammich however.... Youmu between a flan and remi..... Now THAT is something you will only see once in a liftime. Not to mention some of the artwork that is done lately depicting it. Think M. Bison said it best, "This.... is... deeelecious"

Senliten

Inkling
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Where's the source for your avatar? I know a friend of mine that would really like to see that if they haven't already.
While i'm at it, here's the source for the pic in my sig. http://nadegami.tumblr.com/post/120606545306/the-freshest-kids-in-old-hell-it-started
Everyone sure seems to ask that alot >_< I mean yeah, best waifu and all, but the requests for this source kill me XD.
Mmmmmm if you can wait a bit i'll link it via an edit. Am going to be heading home in about 15ish or so, can give a direct source then.

e: source

Last edited:

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Cute as heck~ Turns out the friend had already seen it, but oh well! I hope people keep drawing 2hus as inklings!

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
So, I've seen Touhou, EVERYWHERE. But, being the scrub I am, it's so overwhelming a fanbase that I have no idea where to start. Should I begin with the games, or should I get in with the fanbase first to really get the Touhou experience? I've really gotten mixed opinions on this because, from the friend I have that is obsessed with the franchise, he talks as if it's a circular sort of thing: the fanbase makes the game and the game makes the fanbase.

All said, where would I begin if I want to get into the 2hus?

Kapus

Inkling
NNID
kaplus4
I'd probably start by going to the Touhou wiki and reading up on some entries to get an idea for the world and setting. After that I'd play some of the first few PC games (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, Perfect Cherry Blossom, etc.) to kind of ease my way into it.

I don't think there's too much wrong you can do when getting into the series so long as you remember that fanon =/= canon and a lot of the fanon concepts, characterizations, etc. are pretty much people making up whatever the heck they want.

Personally, I got into touhou by trying out Megamari (a mega man based fan game) and just kinda eased my way into the series from there. Not really as hard as people make it out to be.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
The main games are mostly shooters, though a few of the sidegames are fighting games developed by Tasofro. Hisoutensoku (12.3) is the most popular fighter.

As for fan games, it's often said that if it exists, there's a touhou version of it.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I started off with Imperishable Night, I don't think it matters what game you start off with. I knew next to nothing about 2hu before that, and I didn't have a problem. If you see a cute gril, just search her name and make her your waifu (even if it's Koakuma in th06. She just appears as
with no dialogue/potrait but fans have created her into an actual, non-canon character.)
Also what's up with the bombing/life system after IN? I don't really like it.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
I think my first exposure to Touhou coincidentally happened to be my first exposure to the one Let's Player I consistently follow - Raocow's Let's Play of Super Marisa World. That was like.. 6 years ago or something? Wow, it's been a long time.

Subterranean Animism is my favorite of the shooters because I think overall it has the best music, the best characters, the best danmaku patterns, etc. Having pretty much all 4 of my top characters seals the deal, hehe.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
So what's your guys' favorite character/stage theme?
My favorite stage theme would have to be Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World
My favorite character themes are either Satori's or Kaguya's themes

Strider_Bond00J

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Strider_James00B
My favorite stage theme would have to be Nostalgic Blood of the East ~ Old World
I guess my favourite stage themes might be "Let's Live in a Lively Cemetery" from 10 Desires and "Cinderella Cage - Kagome Kagome" from IN, and my favourite character themes are "Kobito of the Shining Needle - Little Princess" "Hartmann's Youkai Girl" and "U.N Owen was her?"

As for where I started in the series - I've just only played Urban Legend in Limbo - but hoping to play some of the shooters when I get a chance after I finish the HSC. As for which main game to start with, what's the thread's recommendations?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
From the 2hu games I've played, I would probably say that Imperishable Night would be the best. It's easy and the later stages get more difficult smoothly, unlike Mountain of Faith, which is easier than IN at first, but then the difficulty shoots way up once you reach stage 4. I hope my IN bias isn't rubbing off.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Been tempted to play the LoLK demo but I haven't really played Touhou games in some time. I got to play a few minutes of ULiL early May, but it honestly didn't do much for me since I really don't like the battle system they decided to use. (It's like an expansion to Hopeless Masquerade! What the ****!)

Not a big 2hu lore guy, but I love the games and some of the characters-- Oh! And the music is beautiful too.
Speaking of 2hu lore, my buddy is HUGE on the lore. Like, I cannot even believe how dedicated he is to it.

From the 2hu games I've played, I would probably say that Imperishable Night would be the best. It's easy and the later stages get more difficult smoothly, unlike Mountain of Faith, which is easier than IN at first, but then the difficulty shoots way up once you reach stage 4. I hope my IN bias isn't rubbing off.
C'mon now. Everyone knows Perfect Cherry Blossom, and EoSD are the best of the pre-MoF games.

Inkoishi

The Closed Eyes of Love
NNID
DokiDokiKoishi
Imperishable Night is probably the best to start with.

Subterranean Animism is the hardest overall, I believe.

I got to play a few minutes of ULiL early May, but it honestly didn't do much for me since I really don't like the battle system they decided to use. (It's like an expansion to Hopeless Masquerade! What the ****!)
For what it's worth, they improved a lot on HM and I enjoy ULiL a lot more than I ever did HM.. too bad so few people play it.

RemiRei

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RemiRei
My favourite stage theme is probably 'Cinderella Cage ~ Kagome-Kagome', though there's also 'The Gensokyo the Gods Loved' and 'Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea'
Favourite character theme is definitely 'Phamtom Ensemble', actually a lot of my favourite themes come from PCB, that game probably has the best music, in my opinion, followed by MoF.

Vintagestep

Full Squid
NNID
Vintagestep
Wow we have a 2hu board hare, didn't believe everything can be "2hued" until I saw Reimu in the plaza hehehehehe
Well, I started with Soku and EoSD, still haven't played a lot of the games, but I dig a lot in the music, always pay attention to doujin events to get good albums of all genres, mostly with groove you know.
Now I wanna play Soku again, miss IRC playing, but have to get a proper computer to be able...
I'm fan of the Scarlet mistress, but also like a lot of chars, Satori, Nue and Kogasa mostly, Youmu, the EoSD family as well, Komeiji, Reimu.. Suika..
About music, obviously, the Septette is one of my favs but also, Beloved Tomboyish Daughter, Hetmann's Youkai Girl, Shangai Teatime ~Chinese Tea, U.N Owen was her? and a lot more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom