• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tournament Ruleset Ideas

Detta

Inkling
NNID
Dettadeus
So there are two 4v4 modes that we know of: Turf War and Splat Zones. Turf War is the main mode for online multiplayer and the mode we're most familiar with: the goal is to cover as much of the map in your team's ink as possible before the 3 minute timer runs out. Splat Zones is the main mode for the Ranked Battles, and the goal is to control one or more small rectangular zones on the map for 100 seconds (plus some penalty time that stacks up when you lose control), or at least have control for the majority of the game when the five minute timer runs out.

I'm generally thinking either one would work well as the tournament standard, and having Bo3 sets between teams in either a single elimination bracket or a round robin, depending on the number of teams entered. Finals could be expanded to Bo5. Logistically, sets would be between 6-10ish minutes on Turf War and 11-15ish on Splat Zones, which seems totally reasonable for sets involving 8 people. We also know that there are multiple arenas that can be played on, so there is potential for striking/counterpicking as well.

Since each full setup consists of eight WiiUs (as far as we know; there was some footage of two players playing on one WiiU in a 1v1, but it might not work for 4v4) it might be hard to get multiple full setups. However, this is offset by the fact that each team requires four people and a set involves eight people, so even one setup could be sufficient for medium sized, single-elimination tournaments or small round robins.

What are your thoughts?

continuityOfficer

Inkster Jr.
What are your thoughts?
This is going to be a pain in the *** to set up...

Especially for local groups.

Also, from what We've seen so far, the 'ranked battles' modes are more strategy focused and once we've been able to explore them, will probably be better anyway.

I think these are good ideas. I think 2v2s may be the best option if not 4v4s. I'm not a fan of the idea of 1v1s in Splatoon. I'm not against it, but the teamwork play is a lot more intriguing to me.
has it even bee confirmed if we can do 2v2's?

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Since ranked battles are going to be Splat Zones it feels quite natural for me to suggest that they should be used as a stardard tournament settings as well. People who are interested in the competitive scene will most likely want to play with/against high skilled players and if the ranking system is reliable at all, it's kinda straight forward that they will play the ranked games instead of the more "casual" Turf War.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
I will really to see competitive splatoon take off this will be a whole new world to explore for me coming from a smash background. Any idea how teams would pick which modes would be played in a competitive ruleset?

Detta

Inkling
NNID
Dettadeus
I will really to see competitive splatoon take off this will be a whole new world to explore for me coming from a smash background. Any idea how teams would pick which modes would be played in a competitive ruleset?
I think that at some point one mode or the other would be picked as the standard, or they could possibly be separate events. But it would have to be the same mode throughout an entire tournament, otherwise it would be like playing stamina instead of stock+time in some rounds of a smash tournament.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
I was not aware LAN play was officially confirmed. Please provide a valid source otherwise you'll have to accept that the only form competitive Splatoon will ever exist in is through online connectivity. That means everyone will be bound by the same in game rules. It means you'll have to level, purchase gear and weapons, and unlock perks same as everyone else.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
LAN is pretty much a have-to in any Online game, but I don't believe it's been officially announced. If this game doesn't even have LAN play.. I'm not sure if I will still want to get it, I mean.. I will obviously. I just will lose a lot of hype.

Detta

Inkling
NNID
Dettadeus
I was not aware LAN play was officially confirmed. Please provide a valid source otherwise you'll have to accept that the only form competitive Splatoon will ever exist in is through online connectivity. That means everyone will be bound by the same in game rules. It means you'll have to level, purchase gear and weapons, and unlock perks same as everyone else.
If you can make your own groups to play with online, then you just need the setups to be connected to the internet and all in the same place to accomplish what I'm getting at. And you could do the same thing entirely online. It's not like Smash has best of 3 matches built in.

Reactions: Lyn

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I wonder how bad the connection problems would be if there was an EU and a NA team playing against each other. It would be really nice to have top teams from each region competing against each other at the end of every season or so.

And even if there is no local offline multiplayer playing as long as you can make lobbies for 8 players online, arraning kinda "fake" LAN event wouldn't be even far fetched. Then it all comes down to the game's options regarding private lobbies and such.

Lyn

Premium
I wonder how bad the connection problems would be if there was an EU and a NA team playing against each other. It would be really nice to have top teams from each region competing against each other at the end of every season or so.

And even if there is no local offline multiplayer playing as long as you can make lobbies for 8 players online, arraning kinda "fake" LAN event wouldn't be even far fetched. Then it all comes down to the game's options regarding private lobbies and such.
One can only hope they don't look over this.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I feel like Turf War will be the tournament standard until Splat Zones gets released (it is publicized as the more competitive game after all)

I kind of hope there is an offline multiplayer option for 8 players b/c I love the idea of a tournament where everyone goes to one location still. What smash is all about, where you can meet new ppl and develop relationships. And to do that if all wii u's had to connect to the internet, I doubt the Venue's wifi could handle all those wii u's on their internet at the same time.

Raethien

Inkster Jr.
So there are two 4v4 modes that we know of: Turf War and Splat Zones. Turf War is the main mode for online multiplayer and the mode we're most familiar with: the goal is to cover as much of the map in your team's ink as possible before the 3 minute timer runs out. Splat Zones is the main mode for the Ranked Battles, and the goal is to control one or more small rectangular zones on the map for 100 seconds (plus some penalty time that stacks up when you lose control), or at least have control for the majority of the game when the five minute timer runs out.

I'm generally thinking either one would work well as the tournament standard, and having Bo3 sets between teams in either a single elimination bracket or a round robin, depending on the number of teams entered. Finals could be expanded to Bo5. Logistically, sets would be between 6-10ish minutes on Turf War and 11-15ish on Splat Zones, which seems totally reasonable for sets involving 8 people. We also know that there are multiple arenas that can be played on, so there is potential for striking/counterpicking as well.

Since each full setup consists of eight WiiUs (as far as we know; there was some footage of two players playing on one WiiU in a 1v1, but it might not work for 4v4) it might be hard to get multiple full setups. However, this is offset by the fact that each team requires four people and a set involves eight people, so even one setup could be sufficient for medium sized, single-elimination tournaments or small round robins.

What are your thoughts?
I can see it ending up like Dota2 tournaments and such, Everyone has their own set up in their own room so they can plan as a team without the other team hearing them.

G~P

Inkling
Well, I shall be hosting a 4v4 splatoon tournament in mid-june. So I'll be able to report back with information from that.

But yeah, setting up local events is going to be REALLY hard. for smash you just need one complete console and a TV for a setup, for one setup in 4v4, you need EIGHT consoles, EIGHT screens and all of the necessary LAN components to plug them into each other.

Also, Turf war is the way to go, surely.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Well, I shall be hosting a 4v4 splatoon tournament in mid-june. So I'll be able to report back with information from that.

But yeah, setting up local events is going to be REALLY hard. for smash you just need one complete console and a TV for a setup, for one setup in 4v4, you need EIGHT consoles, EIGHT screens and all of the necessary LAN components to plug them into each other.

Also, Turf war is the way to go, surely.
I really hope we get split screen. One setup for team 1, one setup for team 2. This would actually be amazing since that means that only 1 of the 4 has to bring a setup

Detta

Inkling
NNID
Dettadeus
Split screen would be great, but you'd need a pretty large screen to accomplish that. Not to mention that the gamepad is necessary in 4v4 as far as we know, since you can view the map on it and also tap to superjump to teammates after respawning.

Lyn

Premium
Split screen would be great, but you'd need a pretty large screen to accomplish that. Not to mention that the gamepad is necessary in 4v4 as far as we know, since you can view the map on it and also tap to superjump to teammates after respawning.
Split Screen works very well in Halo/Borderlands/Etc; so I don't see why not. Also they could do something with the controls so you can control where you land with the analog stick, who knows.

G~P

Inkling
Split Screen isn't a possibility for tournaments. Mainly because - for the game to function properly - EVERY player needs a WiiU gamepad, and you can't hook up multiple gamepads to one console, and you cant hook up multiple consoles to one screen.

continuityOfficer

Inkster Jr.
Split Screen isn't a possibility for tournaments. Mainly because - for the game to function properly - EVERY player needs a WiiU gamepad, and you can't hook up multiple gamepads to one console, and you cant hook up multiple consoles to one screen.
I guess it could just be competitive Battle Dojo, but that mode looks like it might get boring after a while somehow

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom