• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Trailer - The Luella Project: Combat RP

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Thirty years after The Great Zapfish Incident, Inklings and Octolings have reached a tentative treaty. Under this newfound peace, integration of the two races began and despite prejudice on both sides, the races managed to work together to build a better future, sharing ideas, arts and technology.

It seems, however, that something is against this newfound peace. Throughout the lands, monsters commonly called Ink Horrors have begun to pop up, creating chaos everywhere. These oddly tough humanoids have begun to destroy seemingly without rhyme or reason with their odd supernatural abilities. The police do what they can, but it takes everything they have to keep the terrors at bay.

In what appears to be an unorthodox attempt to solve this problem, a small school has opened up, calling itself the Luella Project. Accepting only a handful of students, they offer a world of potential.

Free education.

Government grants.

...Psychic power.

Of course, the moment they enter the school they sign away their rights. Their life, for the duration of their education, is uninsured. Fighting the Horrors is a dangerous job. Liabilities cost too much.

Are you willing to pay that price for power? The power to save your world from destruction?

---

The Luella Project: The Combat RP

The Luella Project is an upcoming Splatoon fighting RP created by @ReedRGale and myself! This anime-inspired, “power” RP will focus on fighting and writing, and follow an entangled plot with a colorful cast of characters.

In the styles of animes like Soul Eater and RWBY --with some inspiration from Fullmetal alchemist, and the father of school systems, Plato-- players will be able to play as an Inkling or Octoling, and attend the Luella Institute. There, characters are to design an ink-based special ability and take missions battling horrors. Join a team of your classmates, PC or NPC, and discover their stories, as you write your own.

Now, making RPing fight scenes is easier said than done and this is where the second focus of this RP comes in: writing improvement.

Writers and roleplayers of any level are welcome to join this RP as long as they are willing to give this RP noticeable effort. In fact, “Improved writing” --meaning gradually getting better in grammar, style and appropriate length-- awards players Karma. Collecting Karma gives in-game bonuses like making rolls more successful. Simply put: if you put effort into your writing, your character will do better.

To every RPer, there are additional chances to earn Karma with challenges and style bonuses. Missions may have special instructions, like writing in a different point of view or including certain subjects, where Karma can be earned just by attempting them.

If you don’t understand the writing concept we’re referencing, that’s okay! We’ll do our best to describe the concept so that no one is left in the dark, after all no one plans to be “grading” writing, we’re just seeking to create something fun to read!

This RP still requires some planning aaaaand some testing (we’re not done yet), but when it’s complete, it’ll be open for 4-8 players.

When the time comes, we hope some of you will consider applying to Luella Institution.

How it’s pla yy y ed…?

“...Hello? Hey!”

Another thump on the sentry door.

“I’m from the Luella Project. Are you the inspection guys who posted the mission?”

There was some hesitation before a security guard opened their small station, letting a single shaft of light creep into the stagnant nighttime. Alone in the crate yard, --silent and streetlight lit-- stood a girl who couldn’t have been more than 16.

“I’m here to deal with the horror?”

The guard looked at her in disbelief, glancing back to their colleague inside.

The girl was in street clothes. She was in Booyah base gear for sports battling and she had headphones around her neck, still playing muffled music. Her weapon, the bedazzled splatling at her side, only helped complete the look. However, something set her apart from common battlers.

The port guard sitting inside shrewdly commented, “They sent an octoling?”

“Uh…” The girl fingered a sproingy, golden curl before the first guard shoved her aside and started looking around outside.

“‘Tha’s it?” they complained. “We tell them we got entire shipments being destroyed and we get whateva octopi is laying around?”

“Y’know sir,” the girl interjected, “I think you’ve got bigger problems than me being an octoling.”

Her eyes narrowed, but then she craned her neck and blithely noted, “sounds like bad day to be a cargo inspector when a horror accidentally makes it into a crate.”

Both guards flinched, the one in the doorway bristling indignantly. However, the girl moved right along. “If you could just give me the keys to the locked off area, I’ll just--”

“--No. This has gotta be a joke,” the guard huffed, batting away the Luella student ID when the girl pulled it up. “This place gets our tax money to what? To send any kid with an ink weapon after public enemies?!

The guard stormed into a back room to grab a set of keys. The girl waited, holding out her hand expectantly, only to be mildly surprised when guard got right in her face.

“This thing has injured three people,” the guard lectured. “I’m not letting you waltz in there, I’m coming with you and the moment anything goes wrong, you’re leavin’!” the guard snarled.

The girl stared hard into the guard's face before sighing and rolling her eyes. “Whatever helps you sleep at night, dude.”

---

Inside, the locked plexi-glass gates were torn and wasted. Pale moonlight spilled through corridors, creeping around haphazardly located crates. Their metal walls were cracked and dented. Surveying the damage, the two entered the enclosed area, the guard scanning with a single flashlight, warily leading.

“You could stand behind me,” the girl insisted, watching the guard walk stiffly. “You won’t block my shots that way,” she added, calmly edging along with her splatling.

The guard snorted, waving their splattershot around for emphasis. “If anyfin so much as moves, you're going to be glad I was here to--” Brittle metal rattled.

“...What was that?” the guard shivered.

They both paused, staring down the path the noise had echoed from. The girl merely blinked before sliding her way to the front.

“H-hey, wait!” the guard pled, watching as the girl continued.

More metallic clattering, loud thunks… the sounds only got more frequent. She approached with her hands still steady and her eyes focused.

Then a fullsize crate came barreling towards them.

...The girl tightened her grip. “Here we go.”

Wasting no time, she fired at the crate’s sides, then scaled the ink. Leaping off and over the tumbling box, she stuck the landing. One brief glance back told her the guard had luckily scrambled out of the way.

Good. She immediately began firing down the hall, her weapon barrel whirling. With none of her shots making contact, she chucked a point sensor forward, only to watch it dissipate.

The girl’s eyes darted around, searching the empty area. Where was the horror? Her attention got pulled away when the guard's weapon began firing. They were landing hits, but were being forced back by hurled globs of purple.

“Why won’t this die already?” the guard shouted. “It shoulda been gone!” They pressed their trigger again, but the gun only gave a dull click. No ink. The guard began frantically tapping their weapon, trying to back away.

The girl shook her head. “You can’t beat a horror that easily,” she smirked, jumping in front of guard and sending a kick towards the ink.

A golden screeching pulse, like a killer wail, shot out in front of her, destabilizing the flying ink and shielding the guard. Splatters of gold fell in their place. The girl was already starting to rev her barrel, glaring into the hollow eye sockets of the horror.

It had finally revealed itself. The oozing, dripping humanoid almost seemed to stare back, before letting out a violent shriek. It hefted a large crate over it’s head and hurled it towards the girl, beginning to fling pieces of itself to follow up.

Unfazed, the girl took a decisive stomp forward and a pulse of gold expanded from her foot. An ink pool instantly rippled below her, so she slipped down and swam just outside of the crate’s path. Bursting up from the ink, the girl trained her weapon on the monster, charging forward as she did.

Weaving in and out of ink fire with this technique --stomp pulse ink swim ...shoot!-- the girl closed in on the horror, damaging it, incrementally. The horror still stood, but even then, it began noticing the gold staining its purple. With a cry, it launched another crate, sliding like a freight train down the narrow corridor, and began trying to slink away.

“Oh no, you don’t.”

The girl threw herself over the crate, bounding off the top of the speeding box and dyeing it gold, before slamming both feet down in front of the horror. A wide, shaky, static-y wave expanded, jolting the horror with disruption. Distracting arrows wisped around the distressed horror as the girl began whittling it away to its last legs.

Confident that it was done for, the girl hissed in shock when the horror made one last move. It charged straight into her splatling fire and grabbed her gun barrels, trying to pry it away with it’s massive strength.

What was it doing?! The girl yelped as she tried hang onto her weapon. The horror lifted both of them up in a desperate attempt to make her let go and stop the firing. It tried shaking the girl off before slamming her into a wall.

Crying out, the girl slinked back down the wall as the horror ripped her weapon away from her. It seemed to examine the weapon oddly, before simply absorbing it into its own mass of oozing ink.

Wide open… no weapon. The horror began approaching, preparing a projectile of ink to slam on the unsuspecting girl. She scraped at the wall, trying to quickly get up. Closer… closer!

Slamming a punch into the ground, the girl made a roaring wave run along the ground, searing the edges of the horror. Her eyes determined, she sprung to her feet then dashed in on the horror, making her way close and shoving a pulse of gold in it’s face.

With a yell, the girl kicked forward, sending another close-range pulse. She leapt to her other foot, sending kick after kick, edges of the horror being scooped away with each near miss, even as it slipped and slid away. Until finally… the girl spun around, directly smacking the horror with a roundhouse kick to the face.

The killer pulse ran through the horror, its body wobbling violently until --with a last croak-- it burst into gold.

The girl, her shoulders sagging as she caught her breath, walked over to her Deco Splatling laying in the center of the yellow splatter. Picking it up, checking if it were damaged, she began grinning wide when she saw it was spotless.

She lifted it high over her head and let out a victory cheer. “Whoo-hoo-hoo!” she yelled.

A set of footsteps came from behind her. The girl spun around, greeted by a humbled guard.

“I, uh,” they hesitated, “I see you handled most of that by yourself. I was… mistaken. Amazing work miss,” the guard admitted.

The girl chuckled, swinging her weapon around to hug it. “Don’t worry,” she smirked. “I can tell your co-worker, you helped, too.”

Suddenly, a ringing came from her wrist monitor. “Bing bing bing! Is this thing on? Of course it is. I manually reactivated it. You’re supposed to send me reports from time to time.” The person over the com sighed. “I suppose you got caught up in, how you kids would say, ‘the zone.’ How did the mission go?”

“Successful,” the girl declared. She hesitated before adding, “...Maybe I went a little overboard with my power, but it was totally because the horror nabbed my weapon at the last second.” She repositioned her gun and kept talking. “All in all, just a mook so I think it went well.”

“‘Went well’ meaning that you lost your weapon to a mook. And overused your powers. Again. After many, many reminders not to.” The woman’s voice over the com audibly ‘tsked’ before going on. “What’s your tank read?”

The girl snorted. “It’s like half em--” she glanced back at the second meter on her ink tank, then corrected herself, “...three quarters empty. Not completely though! And pretty great for a solo mission, right?”

Silence on the other end. A sigh. Then, finally, “well. It is clear there is nothing left for me to teach you. Because literally nothing gets through to you.” The woman over the com seemed both relieved, proud and angry at the same time. “Come on home, Jasper.”

Jasper.

VeryButter

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
EatALLTehCereal
*is interested*
I'd probably have some sort of defensive shield power, 'cus I love my defense, although I'm not sure how you would make that ink-based but eh.

Ayykari

Senior Squid
I'm interested!
As for powers, I'm not entirely sure yet. Are there any other of limitations other than how the power has to be ink-based?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Ayykari Not really, but as a general rule, making something more focused makes it more powerful. Giving yourself a utility kit power is good, but you lose out on combat ability.

It can't hurt to note that we separate powers into four categories:

Bruiser
Tank
Support
Special

And it might not hurt to try to think along these lines as well when making a power.

Also note, when we make powers, you give us a general idea. We design the stats your skills and abilities will have so that they're balanced within the game world--no need to worry about specifics when designing. I will give you an outline of what your power will grow to be before you solidly choose a power, as well, so don't worry about note having a forecast on your powers' stats.

EDIT: Heck, I wouldn't mind giving forecasts of abilities now, if people would want me to.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Repeating what Reed said: If you set limitations, you can stretch those limitations as far as they can go. So focused powers may be good.
You sacrifice having a wider arsenal of weaker abilities, and visa versa if you go for a more "spread-out power". Weaker abilities, more to work with.

I should note, we'll have a system in place so that people can play "support" or non-offensive powers, so get creative!
Your NPC classmates will be able to "balance" your team by filling in other roles, so you don't get stuck not being able to beat things if you mostly heal.

@VeryButter
Making a shield of ink is a great idea! It'd be amazing for a Tank character. A sort of ink control, limited around controlling ink in shield-shapes maybe?

Powers is Reed's stuff. he might be ale to tell you more/forecast it.

Ashlee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KikyoTheHedgehog
Me likey! :D
I might actually join this one! (And don't worry, I'll be good and actually design an OC and not use one that was meant to represent me xD)
As for powers, I'm not sure.. It'll depend on the character.

Rustic

Inkling Commander
*Interest levels peaking*
This looks really interesting, I'll join this one. Not there was much doubt due to the fact I joined a lot here on this sub-forum. :L

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
Once RWBY was mentioned I was sold.

In all seriousness, having combat as a major component of this RP seems really interesting, it'll be really cool to see people come up with their own differing powers for their characters. I especially with the incentive to increase the player's writing skills.

All in all, I love this idea and will probably join when there's a chance.

Last edited:

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
Once RWBY was mentioned I was sold.

In all seriousness, having combat as a major component of this RP seems really interesting, it'll be really cool to see people come up with their own differing powers for their characters. I especially with the incentive to increase the player's writing skills.

All in all, I love this idea and will probably join when there's a chance.
Eeey RWBY.

>
Puts on shades, points and snaps.

Talk about "seduce me with your well choreographed fight scenes"

I know it's not the most polished work all the time, but I'm too loyal an RT animation fan and I really love Nora.

Zawlt

Full Squid
NNID
Gunoy6
Hmm...I have a fighting style down, but as for a power I don't know what an assassin like style of fighting's power would be.

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
RWBYRWBYRWBY

A question, how many students in a team? And do we get a team name? probably something you haven't worked out yet but whatever :p

edit: (wait do we have teams i forgot)
There are no teams, but you will make teams for some missions.

Hmm...I have a fighting style down, but as for a power I don't know what an assassin like style of fighting's power would be.
There are plenty of opportunities for assassin-like abilities. Poison, invisibility, teleportation, even telekinesis to some extent. Let your imagination run wild so that I can make it into balanced stats.

Question, would characters be able to be killed? Or can they just be injured at the very least?
To answer your question, yes. It is hard to die. But you can.

Aykorn

Inkling Commander
NNID
A_korn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5939-8938-2753
The idea with "teams" is that you can balance being a supportive/defensive character (or interacting with such a character), while still having the capability to beat enemies. Also so that purely offensive characters don't go need to go into missions without support.

That way, people can play any type of style they want!
;] Your NPC classmates have been specifically designed to cover roles needed in teams.

Ayykari

Senior Squid
How would weaponry and gear be determined? Is it predecided that each 'class' uses a certain gearset and weapon or is it up to the player?

Hesoca

Full Squid
Stopping by to add my name to the "interested" pool. Currently would love to do a power based on ink color, though I'm not entirely sure how that would be implemented.

A quick question, though: I keep seeing the word "stats" mentioned when it comes to powers. Is there a numerical system behind all the abilities and combat and whatnot, and if so, will players be able to see/customize those stats?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
@Hesoca Are you aware of a point buy system? You will be able to see and influence your stats by pouring points that you receive on level up into those stats. Depending on the growth tree you pick, when you level you'll get more or less points (usually at the trade off of having a weaker power).

@Ayykari Weapons come at the player's choice, however weapon mastery highly influences the effectiveness of using that weapon, so switching between weapons too often isn't recommended.

Hesoca

Full Squid
@ReedRGale - Ah, okay. That sounds really cool, actually. Will be interested to see how it turns out once you guys get everything figured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom