• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Trials for Teams?

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
Ok Guys I know Teams are still kind of out there. Being that Party Matchmaking is still a while out as well as Ranked. But, anyone consider as a Team Leader what would a player have to prove if he wants to be apart of your team? Haven't really thought about it ,but in MK it's pretty simple most players are assessed with:
  • Use of Advanced Techniques
  • Lines Around the Track
  • Item Usage
  • Time Trial times
  • Performance in WWs
  • ETC.
But, I'm just wondering if you creative Inklings can bounce some Ideas off me. How would you trial a player for a potential team?

Setu

I feel like these conditions will probably end up staying the same except replacing lines/TTs with aim/movement. Also some more factors that are probably the most important would be activity and teamwork. The game is completely different from mario kart, so it's not going to end up being the same. Also, I think it is up for leaders to decide, instead of having a standard for all clans(not assuming that is the purpose of this thread).

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
It'll probably be somewhat similar to typical MK trial conditions, although teamwork will be valued significantly more, so that'll be an addition. This'll vary from squad to squad, as some are carrying over from other games.

Pusha

Inkling Cadet
In shooters you'd want to evaluate:

-Gunskill
-Decision making
-Map awareness
-Playing the objective

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
first make a team with people you play with a lot and know the skill level of, then when people ask to join, allow them a few games on the team as a 'trial' period. Then not only can you evaluate them easily and see if they lag behind or are better than you, but they can also evaluate you and begin getting used to playing with you.

This lets you test things like Pusha posted, and also communication skills, seeing if their panicky or overly arrogant, etc. Sometimes you just won't like people no matter how good they are, which is ok, best not to force things. Remember, you're looking for people to add to your TEAM, meaning if they don't mesh well with the team, no matter how great their technical skill or game sense is, it won't work. An average player that plays with the team will perform much better than an anazing player who doesn't, in almost every case.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I would definitely look for team-mates good at comms (communication to team-mates on enemy position, where to push, when to retreat, etc.)

I would much rather have someone who would die more often, but tell me valuable information then someone who is great at shooting, but is not organized.

D

Deleted Member

- Online Ranking
- Scores
- Shooting accuracy, evasion and movement techs
- Communication & team work
- Map knowledge and awareness

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
I would definitely look for team-mates good at comms (communication to team-mates on enemy position, where to push, when to retreat, etc.)

I would much rather have someone who would die more often, but tell me valuable information then someone who is great at shooting, but is not organized.
That set is really good ;)
I feel like these conditions will probably end up staying the same except replacing lines/TTs with aim/movement. Also some more factors that are probably the most important would be activity and teamwork. The game is completely different from mario kart, so it's not going to end up being the same. Also, I think it is up for leaders to decide, instead of having a standard for all clans(not assuming that is the purpose of this thread).
I don't think the game is completely different. I mean yeah ones racing and ones FPS but they both rely heavily on teamwork and map awareness as well as online ranking.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Just overall win ratio I think would be useful. :)

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
A 4 on 4 scrimmage match could work. The trialers could be on one team, with members on the others. The only issue is that all four people would have to be able to play, and if you only had say 3 or 2, you could just do a 4v4 with either 1,2,or 3 members from that squad team up with the trialer(s)

D

Deleted Member

A 4 on 4 scrimmage match could work. The trialers could be on one team, with members on the others. The only issue is that all four people would have to be able to play, and if you only had say 3 or 2, you could just do a 4v4 with either 1,2,or 3 members from that squad team up with the trialer(s)
Too much trouble to get 4 trialers at once. Plus you want to see how they compliment and help your team, rather than how good they are against your team.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Too much trouble to get 4 trialers at once. Plus you want to see how they compliment and help your team, rather than how good they are against your team.
not to mention (in reply to what you quoted) trialers won't be used to working together, either, so it will feel like a team v.s. at best people communicating, and they might not learn to work with the team as well if the group is mostly trialers and not your team. Your squad would also have to be pretty big already to make up two entire teams with the trialer(s) as the filler (I am counting 6 people to be a full team [2 subs] and 8 or more to be ideal [enough to have scrims within your own team]. limits to official squad sizes should be set in the forum so people don't just absorb everyone into a few squads, which was a problem back on another forum I was a part of before those rules were put in place. the teams were so big that the activity slowed to a crawl because the number of matches wasn't very big as a direct result). Basically trialers should just be included in normal scrims to see if they can mesh well while not screwing with anyone's stats and giving every team and trialer involved experience. Some squads will be able to do inner team scrims, but it would take longer for them to corral all their subs and members just to test a guy or two, when they can instead just find a squad already looking for a scrim to play with and give the trialer his shot.

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
Just overall win ratio I think would be useful. :)
Well that might not be best. Only because an overall win ratio doesn't always dictate true skill. Being that in a team based game you can have teammates that can be complete and total noobs in pubs and even in ranked such as in other popular e-sports. So since its a team based game I think it has to be more based on how the player fits in for YOUR team

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Ok Guys I know Teams are still kind of out there. Being that Party Matchmaking is still a while out as well as Ranked. But, anyone consider as a Team Leader what would a player have to prove if he wants to be apart of your team?
I have to like them. That's my only criterion. None of this "tryout" nonsense. Maybe I'm too old fashioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom