• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

trislosher equipment abilities

sega

Inkling
NNID
sagasaves
so what abilities are the trisloshers using out there? i usually go 1 defense up, 2 damage ups, haunt (ranked, splatzones), swim speed up, maybe a special increase.

anyone have a specific piece of equipment they use? ability combinations? equipment for certain modes? guess there's alot to discuss.

thanks!

Chocolil

Inkling Cadet
NNID
EricirE
Special Charge Up and Special Saver is what I use on mine. I abuse the hell out of Bubbler. I do find myself with an empty tank after throwing a disrupter and one slosh which can result in me getting splatted. I'll need to play around with dropping a little Special Saver and adding ink saver main/recovery.

cwjakesteel

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
cwjakesteel
I use ink recovery up and bomb range up. Sometimes Ink Saver Main works well too. You have to be able to use your disrupter quickly and frequently.

APurpose

Inkling
NNID
APurpose1
I mainly use the Tri-Slosher in Ranked, I'm currently shooting for Comeback, Cold-Blooded, and Stealth Jump/Ink Resistance (depending on the game mode) primaries with 3 of Special Saver, Special Charge Up, and Respawn Time Decrease.

The_Devious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
The_Devious97
I run :ability_inksavermain::ability_specialcharge::ability_swimspeed: but you could also use :ability_bombrange: instead of:ability_specialcharge:

Really depends if you would rather disrupt opponents from further away than normal or if you want a :bubbler:more often.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I've recently completely overhauled my Tri-Slosher play-style, and it's worked wonders. I ran general Special-based Abilities before as I pretty much just used this weapon in TC, hoping to maximise the potential of Bubbler rushes, but in S Rank, it rarely worked out as desired. Around a week ago, using the Nouveau, I tried a Swim Speed-heavy set in Rainmaker, partly to carry the thing and partly to increase utility of its Seekers, and it wound up working beautifully as an aggressive weapon quite unlike how I'd used it in the past. I've tried that style out with the standard model as well and it worked fine, too.

I haven't yet decided on a full build for this play-style, but right now, I'm running a lot of :ability_swimspeed: and some :ability_specialduration:; if I can get the gear together, I'd like to end up running :ability_inksavermain: and :ability_coldblooded: in addition to those to maximise assassination potential.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
So far I've used this weapon solely for TC. I've been running three main bomb ranges due to no brand bonuses for it. The only other things I've really considered are special charge/saver to get a bubble more often, and standard swim/run/respawn filler. I have not seen a target I couldn't hit with disruptors yet, very useful when the position of the tower makes an approach very difficult.

AC_Decoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
actionjackson105
Is it weird that I usually equip :ability_runspeed:as one of the mains? I had a clan member tell me that running a run speed up build is useless on buckets. But I find with tri-sloshers it gets me closer to the action. Of course I usually have :ability_swimspeed: as subs or mains. And then either :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialsaver::ability_tenacity: to get that bubbler going. Critiques?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I would like to hear opinions on Run Speed, yes - it's the one Ability that I could imagine having a significant effect on how I play but into which I haven't invested at all due to apparently lacking effects. I don't actually know what that means here: is it just that buckets don't alter their strafe speed, similarly to how Rollers are fixed in their rolling speed but unlike Splatlings, Shooters and Chargers (unsure about the latter)? Or is it more of a strategical preference than a technical impossibility?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I don't think run speed affects sloshers. I was curious and tested that just now, equipping three run speed mains and then going without, and I didn't see any appreciable difference while firing.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Generally, you would want to either conserve your ink better with :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain:, seeing as the weapon eats up ink quickly. Bubbler spam is always nice, so :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialsaver: and :ability_tenacity: are useful. :ability_bombrange: is great to effectively use the disruptor to harass foes. Mobility is key for short range weapons, so both :ability_swimspeed: and :ability_inkresistance: help.

Here is a theoretical combination of a few of these abilities.

Soccer Headband :ability_tenacity: l:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Camo purple LS (I think) :clothes_tel002: :ability_bombrange:l:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Red High Tops :shoes_shi005: :ability_inkresistance:l:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

Since ability stacking (for most abilities) has diminishing returns, it might be better to have a variety of abilities instead of stacking a few.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Since ability stacking (for most abilities) has diminishing returns, it might be better to have a variety of abilities instead of stacking a few.
I find that it's rarely disadvantageous to have two slots' (with three Subs or one Main constituting a slot) worth of an Ability; and, particularly in cases like Swim Speed, a single slot is just quite underwhelming, or, rather, two or three slots have a much greater impact on your mobility compared to the pace of battle.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I find that it's rarely disadvantageous to have two slots' (with three Subs or one Main constituting a slot) worth of an Ability; and, particularly in cases like Swim Speed, a single slot is just quite underwhelming, or, rather, two or three slots have a much greater impact on your mobility compared to the pace of battle.
I wouldn't say ability stacking is bad, the effect of diminishing returns is usually minor. If only one or two abilities really stick out to use for a weapon, stacking those is a viable strategy. (That is, within reason. Don't wear all :ability_damage: on your chargers for example, once you get to 4 or so mains, the extra damage boosts are pretty unneeded)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'm of the opinion that pretty much any ability can benefit from being stacked up to three main's worth. Run speed, swim speed, and quick super jump all make you a lightning bolt at that amount, for example. It's beyond three mains that it becomes debatable.

Spicy Succ

Inkling
NNID
alienintel
I usually just run special charge up and special duration up to abuse the bubbler, especially for tower control. I have some swim speed up, but that's just a luxury. Replacing it with more special charge or special saver wouldn't be a bad idea.

maxie

Full Squid
my old tri build was this and it worked pretty well

:ability_tenacity: | :ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver: or :ability_tenacity: | :ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn::ability_quickrespawn:
:ability_inkrecovery: | :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_inkresistance: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed: or :ability_ninjasquid: | :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

but now i end up using this most of the time

:ability_specialcharge: | :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_swimspeed: | :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:
:ability_defenseup: | :ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup::ability_defenseup:

but thats just because im an absolute sucker for having a ton of defence ups lmao

but yeah, tri slosher is my fave + most used weapon, and imo you definitely need some ink recovery/ink saver main. special charge/tenacity is also great, and i like using swim speed up too but its not needed really cause its already got quite good mobility

despite never having used these on tri all that much i feel like bomb range up and cold blooded could also be helpful.

and honestly id argue against using special duration up tbh, maybe its just how i play tri but i tend to keep bubbler for when im in bad situations where i can quickly rush in and splat a few people and then get out again, so id prefer to at least have it charge up more often rather than having an extra second or two added on. ninja squid too seemed like a good idea at the time but i missed my added mobility yknow

G

girigiriHERO

concerning fall off damage, is there a reason to equip more than 1 main of damage up or does it pretty much become useless after that?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
concerning fall off damage, is there a reason to equip more than 1 main of damage up or does it pretty much become useless after that?
I don't run Damage but if I did, I'd base it off the gratings in the shooting range - climbing up onto them, can you take out the dummies in 2 hits with one Main (or 3, if they otherwise take 4)? Probably not all of them, but use your own judgement as to whether you'd normally want to attack ones at the greater distance anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom