• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tunnel of Success - A Competitive Killer Wail Series

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
Well it's exactly as it says on the tin. I'm Specter and I like to make content for the Splatoon community

Even though Splatoon is on it's way out and we're waiting on Spla2n, I still find it fun to make content and stuff! A couple of my subs suggested I make a series about using Killer Wails competitively, so I took them up on it and made my first episode on Kelp Dome!

I'd love to hear what you guys think about it!

spoxbox

Full Squid
NNID
Spoxbox
So professional and detailed 0.0 (Your voice was a bit quiet though imo, otherwise very solid analysis of wail on kelp)

Wail is my favorite special in the game as well. Will you bother giving tips with wails on maps like camp and port since the spots to use it on those maps are so obvious?

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
So professional and detailed 0.0 (Your voice was a bit quiet though imo, otherwise very solid analysis of wail on kelp)

Wail is my favorite special in the game as well. Will you bother giving tips with wails on maps like camp and port since the spots to use it on those maps are so obvious?
Absolutely! I've actually already made the Camp Triggerfish episode and went into more detail about it, like lining things up, uses against the enemy team, and strategies for matches. I also know my mic is a bit quiet, but with my editing software there is only so much I can do to fix it. u.u Port I'm not really sure what else I can offer, but we'll see!

p14n0f

Inkling
The audio mixing is a bit odd to me, and I think the quietness of your recording isn't helped by the contrasting solid/loudness of the bgm. Unsure about how to feel about the bgm lowering and raising as your voice comes in and out. I liked that you had a different viewpoint using green squid, and the explanations are pretty clear. I would say adding a small top-down map if possible would help illustrate your point (might be easier in splat2n because of spectator mode) could help with that. The footage is pretty relevant, and for the places that are more 'obvious,' maybe you could talk about follow-up actions or routes that are neat to try, or combine it into one video if there's less content? Unsure. In any case, thanks for sharing!

spoxbox

Full Squid
NNID
Spoxbox
I'm pretty sure that "Green Squid" is Dude, better known as ThatSrb2Dude XD

Last edited:

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
The audio mixing is a bit odd to me, and I think the quietness of your recording isn't helped by the contrasting solid/loudness of the bgm. Unsure about how to feel about the bgm lowering and raising as your voice comes in and out. I liked that you had a different viewpoint using green squid, and the explanations are pretty clear. I would say adding a small top-down map if possible would help illustrate your point (might be easier in splat2n because of spectator mode) could help with that. The footage is pretty relevant, and for the places that are more 'obvious,' maybe you could talk about follow-up actions or routes that are neat to try, or combine it into one video if there's less content? Unsure. In any case, thanks for sharing!
Yeah I unfortunately can only do so much w/ the audio miing because I am doing all this in Windows Movie Maker and can only do the best with at I have sadly. Maybe I can find someway to mess with some settings with the mic itself to make it louder.

Having a top down can be a dream in Spla2n, but we'll be losing the wail there u.u And as I said before I definitely do address follow ups and usage in the next video! ^^

I'm pretty sure that "Green Squid" is Dude, better known as ThatSrb2Dude XD
And yes, that's the BF, DUDE helping me out. ;O

Maave

Inkling Commander
It sounds like you'll be doing more videos for other stages as well, that'd be great.

p14n0f

Inkling
If you're interested/have time, software like Audacity or Ardour could be helpful. Mind, it's been a while since I've mixed, so maybe there's better free software now.

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
I actually released my newest episode just a few moments ago, which I feel goes a bit more in depth about using wails in a competitive setting on this map:

I did get a new video editing program after making this one, so audio mixing will be a bit better for future episodes. Thanks for the suggestions!

spoxbox

Full Squid
NNID
Spoxbox
I didn't even know you could wail the enemy's main ramp from that first spot you showed. Also the audio in this one sounds a lot better btw.

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
I didn't even know you could wail the enemy's main ramp from that first spot you showed. Also the audio in this one sounds a lot better btw.
If I taught you something you didn't know, then I'm doing my job right! Thanks!

Dylan26

Full Squid
Content Team
NNID
Dylan26
have u made any more yet? this is honestly really good. should go triggerfish next. although im sure you've been thinking about it. :) would love to see more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spoxbox

Full Squid
NNID
Spoxbox
have u made any more yet? this is honestly really good. should go triggerfish next. although im sure you've been thinking about it. :) would love to see more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even tho she just did camp triggerfish a few posts above? o_O

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Oh yes I love the Wail so anything to help me get better with it is much appreciated! One tactic I always strive for with the Wail is making sure the opponent doesn't see me pulling it out giving them less time to react.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
i'm repeating people but really good quide.
i'm getting into the killer wail and felt i was just wasting my special everytime, until i saw this.

Robochao

Full Squid
NNID
Robochao
I'm not affiliated with jaddas, but there are more videos on the YT page!

Latest:

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
Thank you so much for the positive feedback :D If there's anything else you want to say please let me know!

Robochao

Full Squid
NNID
Robochao
I'd actually really appreciate a run-down of Blackbelly. I usually have trouble positioning myself for a secured pressure point/kill except for situationals like chasing off someone on snipe or stopping a push through the half-pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom