• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Turf War Competitive Strategies - Control Points

JCOnyx

Inkling
Even though Turf War isn't the Ranked Mode of Splatoon, I can still see people wanting to play it as a fun little break from Splat Zone. It also comes with it's own strategies and little quirks, so I thought I'd make a post specifically for discussing competitive TW.

After finally being able to play for a good three hours, everyone should have a stronger grasp on which points are the most important to cover and maintain throughout a game. Control of certain areas almost always leads to victory, but keep in mind that controlling an area and covering it with your own paint are two separate things. Here is a quick image I made up for Saltspray Rig to explain some concepts:

The major areas are marked by their order of most importance, based on what I've experienced, with H being your respawn platform. Having A1 and A2 in your color at the end of the game will most likely guarantee your teams victory, but A1 should not actually be inked till near the end. Instead immediately go for control and coverage of A2 and by extension keep your opponents away from A1. A good split in the early game would be two players designated to A2, and another 2 covering their sides and flank from A3. If done correctly, covering all of A1 near the end game should fill a couple of your teammates special gauges to help clutch out the win.

For those wondering why A4 is prioritized so low, it's because of how easy it is for the opposing team to recapture it upon respawn with how close it is to each teams base. It's also much smaller than A1 and will contribute less towards victory as such. The pathways down below are also really hard to traverse without being open to enemy attacks from nearly everywhere. That entire area is basically a deathtrap, only go down there when you absolutely need to and instead capture it from above.

I plan on doing this for the other stages as well, specifically Walleye Warehouse next since it was the other demo stage. Also, if any of you disagree with any of my points or have more advice to give, please do so as I plan on updating the OP with the most relevant/up to date strategies for each stage. Until then, see you guys later.

Last edited:

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
turf wars will probably be a fun distraction from ranked battles like tower control and splat zones, even if its meta will be much more chaotic. i think that's something to appreciate about it as opposed to a disadvantage to it, though

i do agree with maps having certain areas that are higher value and certain parts that are lower value. areas that are large but easy to deny access to, like 1 (and arguably 2, even if there's high ground you can easily reach) on your map, will be high priority, while 4 will be good, but likely ignored since it can be so easily reclaimed (you have a path to it right from your spawn.) because of the huge reward inking those areas gives you as opposed to going to lower value targets, it'll probably be where the most firefights occur, which more forgotten about areas like 3 and 5 and the alley ways to 4, 3, and 5 will be vaguely fought over throughout the match, or just claimed by smart rollers who know people will overlook them

DingDongMcDork

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DingDong
Well Saltspray is pretty much all about controlling 1 (that I call North).
3 is pretty much always going to be under control of your team, and is extremely easy to recapture if someone start messing with it.
What seems to be the most logical course of action is to take control of North early, and post a Charger in top of the containers to prevent people from capturing it. In theory, this vantage point should make the area practically impossible to capture for the enemy. Once north is captured, two players should try to take and keep control of the chokepoint on 2, which should be rather easy since even if they die, SuperJumping to the charger on North give them a quick way to get back on 2.
Lastly, the last player should just roam around, taking 4 and 5 to mess with the enemy team's mobility and just try to be a general annoyance.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Not being ranked doesn't mean a mode can't be competitive. If turf wars end up being more fun than any other modes, that is where I will stay playing.

Crazykonga

Inkling
NNID
Crazykonga
Turf war isn't made for competition, it's just a fun mode and we'll get many interesting modes just like splat zones.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf war isn't made for competition, it's just a fun mode and we'll get many interesting modes just like splat zones.
Doesn't mean it can't be competitive. Smash Bros as a whole isn't made for competition, yet there is a scene for it.

Crazykonga

Inkling
NNID
Crazykonga
Well, Turf war is like the "For fun" SSBU mode. I don't see why we should try to make it competitive since it isn't made for this.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
Oh hey we have the same strategy in mind for Saltspray Rig. One thing you forgot mention is the high ground factor, the north is at a higher elevation than the south, so going from the north to south gives you superior positioning.

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
Well, Turf war is like the "For fun" SSBU mode. I don't see why we should try to make it competitive since it isn't made for this.
Because we can, honestly. Especially if remains interesting and the meta doesn't get locked down and allows for a bit of variance.

Ranias

Inkling
NNID
Ranias
I like Turf War because it is different from all other FPS games we have nowadays. I would enjoy having a competitive scene for it because the strategies that would spawn from it are alot different than in CTF style game formats that we see so much of already.

JCOnyx, that sounds like the most solid strategy for Saltspray Rig, but I wonder if there are any other good ones.

JCOnyx

Inkling
How can you even compare Turf War to smash "For Fun". There is no random item spawn bullshit, crazy maps with stupid bosses or walk off shenanigans, and everything else inherently bad about For Fun.

Every core element in Splat Zone is still in Turf War. But instead of focusing on a single area for X amount of time, you have to focus on several areas for a limited amount of time. Each game has it's own little quirks and strategies, I could see Turf War being just as competitive as Splat Zone when we find out how to optimize our strategies.
wait, so the A+ - C- thing wont or will be for turf wars?
I unfortunately don't believe there is a ranking system set for online Turf Wars. Doesn't really matter though, as almost all competitive matches will be made in custom lobbies once they're released.

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
I actually have thought about strategies on Salt spray Rig. One idea i have come up with is holding down what you have labeled 1. It has only one narrow entrance and makes up much of the map. Holding down this spot is Turf War can easily net you a solid 20-30% on your overall score.

Geistbox

Full Squid
If Turf War is one of the modes that will inevitably be made available for the friendly matchmaking it is most definitely going to turn competitive.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Saltspray Rig sure seems easier to keep control as it has a clear area to maintain with not many ways to get there, there are only really 3 entry points so it has a very clear focus, I think area 4 is best left alone until the very end of the match, a roller can easily stay on corridors and there too avoiding direct combat.

But the bigger problem is to create a strategy to take areas 1 and 2 back, in case you can't control it at first, if a team keeps players in there just to take out invaders it will be difficult to take it back, in casual play there isn't always players there because they spread to cover other areas, but a focused team is harder to overcome.

Also there is not really a mode that can't be considered competitive with Team Matchmaking, if you can coordinate teams, it is already "competitive", I'm not really inclined to compete myself, but I like to see the discussion, even to increase my points in casual play.

JCOnyx

Inkling
Slight edit to the OP with a more in-depth/cleaner image. I plan on putting each map into their own individual tabs with their write-ups once I have multiple complete. Any thoughts on the image layout to make them easier to read or anything, I think I've finally got a good look down.

LittlestMinish

Full Squid
NNID
LittlestMinish
Slight edit to the OP with a more in-depth/cleaner image. I plan on putting each map into their own individual tabs with their write-ups once I have multiple complete. Any thoughts on the image layout to make them easier to read or anything, I think I've finally got a good look down.

I would recommend putting them in named spoilers, once there are more than 2. I also like how you included the T corridor in with 4. That accurately depicts the importance and its ease of access from both sides. I would cut 4 off a little bit shorter, and increase 3 and 5 to the places that Home and Opposing Home could jump down. Basically I would end 4 at the corner where the Southernmost right-pointing arrow starts at home, and the Northernmost right-pointing arrow for the Opposing Home. Thoughts?

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
The one mode that can't be replicated by another game, and people are already calling it "non-competitive". :(

I personally think that the chaotic, hyper-aggressive nature of Turf Wars would make a pretty good spectator sport. Matches would have to be decided 2 out of 3, or perhaps even 3 out of 5 though, considering how a single slip-up towards the end of the match can be enough to fail despite dominating the rest of the match.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I feel that any game mode in Splatoon can be competitive, but I have a feeling that once Tower Control comes out, a lot of people are going to flock to that as the main event of sorts.

GodspeedYou!

Inkling
NNID
gdspdublkprzdnt
I've been contemplating the value of defending 1 but the use of the bubble to plow through defense makes it more easily lost than one would think if defending from the border. Defending 1 properly requires having a certain degree of control of 2 using one of the two towers there. Defending 1 against a zerg involves falling back into 1 and using the area itself as a skirmish zone and trying to out position them with the higher ground. It's hard for me to imagine how the meta will develop without trying out the tons of weapon sets not used in the demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom