• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Typical player progression through ranked modes

Nutmeat

Pro Squid
So I'm a fairly new player, I got the game at Christmas and have spent a lot of time with it since then but mostly learning the basics in Turf War. I've recently started playing more ranked mode and am just wondering how other players typically progress through the ranks. For example, did you easily make it to S and then spend a month getting to S+? Did you get stuck in the C-B ranks for a long time and then break through a wall and start progressing faster? What has been your experience?

So far it has been pretty easy for me to get to the A-/A ranks, but I've been floating around in there for a little while, occasionally deranking to A- and then ranking back up to A. I don't think I need to be ranking up faster or anything, I'm still getting the hang of how these modes flow and developing strategies as well as still improving my fundamentals, so I think I obviously belong in lower developmental ranks, whatever they may be. I'm curious though to know if I'm progressing slower than normal or at a typical pace, etc.

Edit: on second thought, I should have put this in the regular discussion forum, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Jon914

Pro Squid
Everyone progresses at a different rate. Once you get a solid grip on your fundamentals, you'll rank out of the A's.

I took a fair bit of time off to work on my fundamentals in league, came back recently and ranked from A- to S+ pretty quickly.

Maave

Inkling Commander
In Splatoon 1 I had a slow steady progression to A rank, then a grueling flip-flop grind into S rank, and another flip-flop grind into S+. With that skillset I started Splatoon 2 and quickly got to the low S+ levels. Still hovering there.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I originally had been hanging around the A+ regions until I have recently been ranking up a bit. I'm still working towards the s+ regions, but I do feel I'll get there.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Since I played S1, and the ranking system in S2 is a lot easier, I got to S+ in like 2 days.

In S1, I got stuck in the A's for months at a time until I finally started to go up.

RelicRaider

Pro Squid
NNID
RelicRaiderULTD
Switch Friend Code
SW-6136-3428-7995
In Sploon 1 I had a lot of difficulty in B-, and B but then by B+ I went through it really fast. A- was really fast, as was A but A+ was pretty painful, and even at the end of Sploon 1 I was bouncing between A+ and S but I’d always get straight back up to S and the highest I ever got in S was maybe 53?

That said, I got to S+ fairly quickly in Sploon 2, learning as many different weapon sets as possible along the way, which means I have a lot more diverse weapon pool which should mean I’ll have a stronger chance of moving higher in Sploon 2. It’s only recently I’ve bothered playing past S+0 and it’s steady progress but I should be reasonably close to X at its release.

InklingJoe

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5084-9470-8912
I'm not up on how ranking math works entirely for S2, but my climb has been easy in the early ranks. After I made my way to B in Tower Control, Splat Zones immediately skipped me from C- to B- after 3 matches, and I probly could've pressed that close to A if I wasn't just sitting down for a short session.

The climb up the ladder is really quick if you bite the bullet and just do your best to support the typical C-B rank players who don't entirely work together. I will caveat that Rainmaker and Clam Blitz have been a different story for me - as the folks still down in C at this point in the game's life cycle seem to have no real interest in things like objectives, or coordination.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Being brand new to the game at launch, it took me a couple months to get my first S+. I can't recall how fast I went through the other ranks between, though I remember skipping from C- to B- in all modes at first. I remember every time I got to a new letter rank I would struggle and first time in B and first time in A I would struggle to keep it. I restarted my progress a lot but by the time I got to S for the first time I didn't find it so hard to adjust. I sat around S+0-2/3 for several months and only since the end of January has it been a steady move upwards. Haven't lost a rank for a few months now. That's the best timeline I can recall from the last 8 months...

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
In Splatoon 1 I breezed through the C's but slowed down in the B's and stagnated at B+. In Splatoon 2 I breezed through the C's, slowed down at B+, and getting through the A's is taking me a long time (I'm in S only in Rainmaker).

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
In Splat 1 I played around 200 hours of Turf. That combined with my prior shooter ex had me in A rank a week maybe after I started playing ranked. I then struggled going back and forth between A and S as I learned the Splatoon specific mechanics, then a long stretch of back and forth from S to S+ while I improved my mechanics and awareness.

In Splatoon 2 I didn't really do ranked and then I didn't have a switch for several months, but getting back to it I've gone from C straight to B in every mode and am consistently winning up so far.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Progress through ranked depends on several things. It is supposed to cruise you to whatever rank you belong in, then keep you there until you are ready to progress (though things don't always end up that way).

I personally got to rank A in everything with some struggling. I felt I got carried to rank A, so I stopped playing ranked for a while so I could train and hopefully hold my own. Ended up cruising through A after that, struggled through S, and am currently in S+0, but am training before I try to progress any more than that.

I think the system did an okay job of placing me. On my alt, I had an easy time getting to where I am on my main, but am struggling to get past that point. There's some issues of course, but those are for another thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom