• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Splatoon 2 Underestimated Weapons: Revival

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
There are so many weapons available in Splatoon 2 with 3 to 4 variants available for plenty of the weapons

With that being said many weapons end up being forgetten and mant more are simply Underestimated due to meta or a strong counterpart.

This thread will review some of the underestimated weapons, explaining why they are looked over, and why you should consider giving a once over to these weapons.

*This again are mearl

Aerospray PG:
The aerospray has always been less than meta, it has an impressive turfing ability but lacks range, and killpower of other shooter. Especially after the nerf of the gold aero and baller meta early on.

However I decided to give this weapon a try and I will say I ain't disappointed. This weapon possesses burst bombs to handle mid range shooters or finish off enemies who flee out of your range, and the spirit booyah bomb for long range anchors, which I find it no trouble to get 6 or more special in a single round.....without special charge up.
To me I play this weapon like a vanilla sploosh aggressively rushing enemies and maintaining turf control with special a great coverage ability.

Firefin Splatcharger
Kinda was forgetten due to kensa charger or the slightly more favored vanilla (especially in TC)
The firefin is one of my personal favorite chargers in Splatoon, coming with splash wall and suction bomb rush.
The wall though is what make this kit for me having the ability to block damage from other chargers and wall off a flank so you can reposition makes it a very defensive charger that is really good at holding choke points.
This combined with the special making it a very good charger both at holding or defending the objective.

Foil squeezer
Squeezer have always been look over for other weapons this weapon has a pretty high skill ceiling make it difficult to pick up.
Again this weapon offers interchangeable playstyle that is hard to predict with mashing the trigger allowing you to have accurate aim over long distance and provide a backline for your team or hold down to provide coverage or overwhelm mid to close range enemies.
MPU also increases the overall dmg by 30% on long range or 20% on short range.
Along with the weapon itself you got a forge pro styled kit with splat bomb, and bubbler.

Again this isn't easy to use but it is such a unique shooter that I do feel it is worth taking the time to learn and can be played many different ways due to the flexibility of it style and kit

If they are other weapon you feel are looked over please share them and give us some advice for thsoe who wpuld like to pick them up

Last edited:

Sir Ngyes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Simple234
I feel as though the Flingza Roller is a heavily underrated weapon. One could easily mop the floor with the enemy team when they have full understanding of its range.

Noco

Full Squid
I'd say the Splash-O-Matic is definitely underused/underrated. Most would say the Tentatek Splattershot is a stronger choice, but a faster rate of fire, perfect accuracy, and 170p Inkjets make this weapon a viable alternative. Being a lightweight weapon makes movement speed with the Splash faster than the Ttek without any investment. With Main Power Up this weapon can increase its damage to 33.3 per shot, matching the TTek as a three hit kill weapon in most situations. Although bombs are generally considered stronger, Toxic Mist is still useful for slowing pushes and area control.

awedry

Full Squid
The .52 Gal series seems ready for a renaissance. With the change to Main Power Up in the recent patch that helps its accuracy on the ground, the biggest drawback of the weapon can be mitigated to some degree. Two hit splats could be more consistent over other slayers like Tentatek or Enperries, and the vanilla and Kensa kits might have a place in Clams or Zones if Kensa Pro or Kensa Dualies fell out of favor for some reason. Baller is only 170p on the vanilla and Booyah is 180p on the Kensa. I could even see the .52 Deco being useful in Tower and Rainmaker because Sting Ray is so valuable in that mode, though it makes less sense on a midline/frontline weapon than it does on a backline like Charger or Heavy Splatling.

~A.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
The problem with Aerospray, and the reason it will likely never be good is that it requires the enemy team to make mistakes to do anything. The Aero doesn't have the range or damage to actually get kills, and its painting power doesn't matter because an Aero won't be able to leave its base to paint. The kit on the PG is good and does alleviate some of these problems, but its only decent killing option, burst bombs, require you to empty a tank to kill.

Despite this, with how strong Booyah Bomb is right now, I can see PG having a very small niche, but I highly doubt it will be used over any other Booyah Bomb weapon.

vanille987

Inkling Cadet
NNID
777SAS777
I feel like the nautilus is underrated too, the hold charge gimmick works surprisingly well on a splatling. Allowing you to pop out in killing range and spray on your unexpected enemies face(s). Possibly getting more then 1 splat in one burst. Granted you're not 100% invinsible while holding a charge while swimming, but by using cover and possibly verticality well, that can be mitigated. It also loses no accuracy while jumping which adds to this.
Overall I feel like this is the most aggressive splatling to play with, especially since you can recharge charges like the ballpoint, as long you have the inkt you always have a charge ready. Overall pretty good inking capabilities too, which is always nice.

As for kits, 47 has point sensors which work splendidly with its playstyle, if you know the precise location of your enemy, it becomes so much easier to ambush them with a pop charge. Baller allows you to possibly close the gap and wreak havoc in close range, but overall not my most favorite special for the weapon.
79 has suction bombs which can be useful for spacing and aggressive play but watch that ink consumption, inkjet allows you to briefly pepper enemies outside your range or safety. Overall I didn't use this one much since I personally dislike the kit, but it can definitely be used to a great extent if it fits your playstyle.
If you like using splatlings at close range, definitely give these weapons a try!

SilverBrick

Pro Squid
NNID
SilverBrick
Inkbrush, especially on Tower Control. People seem to forget that Splashdown refills your ink tank, allowing you to escape from pretty much anything as long as your special is charged (which, being the Inkbrush, it usually is).

So many happy memories of using Splashdown on low ink, then rolling a bomb under some hapless soul’s feet and watching them explode as they try to kill me.

Stardust-Sonic

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Stardust-Sonic
No one pays alot of attention to splash wall weapons. I wish they were used a little more. I just made a video reviewing and ranking all splash wall weapons for those who want to try them out :

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom