• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Underestimated Weapons

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Hey there everyone, I noticed so many today are using the same old weapons when in ranked battles,so I decided to recommend a few weapons that are so rarely used but are still very effective

:wst_charge_quick01:1. Classic squiffer
This is my main weapon and it is for a good reason, this weapon has a 1 hit KO attack with the second fastest charge speed in the game, along with that this weapon also has one of the best mobility of the charger class though this will mean that need to get close using your speed to outmaneuver the enemy and ink mines with your fast charge speed to KO enemies and make paths for your team
:inkmine:The ink mine sub, though looked down on is great with this weapon come in alone when places in front of you will lead to close weapons having to get away from the blast and set you up for a good shot with this tool, or when placed in frequently flanked areas become a easy way to splat or at least warn nearby teammates of flanks.
:inkzooka:Lastly, this special is an inkzooka, so not only do you have a one hit KO weapon but it special give it even more range to deal one hit KO in.

:wst_shot_triplequick01:2. L-3 Nozzlehose D
This weapon requires a quick trigger finger, but if used properly this weapon has some of the best stats of all the shooters and though it is a great damage dealing and coverage weapon for those who use it,
This weapon is made for rush attacks, like stealthy roller players you need to jump in, and KO the enemy quickly, burst bomb canceling also help with this, combine with "rain of doom" (which is surprisingly effective) leaves not area safe for chargers and shooters
. ***Plus if you are good at reading Players this becomes very amusing***
Then it's special is Kraken, which is great for ambushing enemies or for self protection when the situation is not in your favor

****Still editing, but wanted to start posting this sooner rather than later

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
Also please feel free to share some of your favorite underused weapons in the comments below

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I haven't seen many Bambi's running around. I guess that's because it has a really steep learning curve? When I do see one, it's usually bad news for whomever is on the receiving end in TW. It can cover and kill, and I figure most people don't know how to counter it since it doesn't show up very often. I don't see many Heavy Splatlings since the Hydra came out, but they are still a very solid defender weapon.

karl childers

Full Squid
The bamboozler seems underestimated imo. It kills really quickly with damage ups, while having great mobility, perfect accuracy, and great range too. The drawbacks are that it can be poor at inking certain sections of stages since the uncharged shots are very thin (thinner than the uncharged shots of other chargers) and that it is easy to get trapped in enemy ink if you're not careful. But these are not major drawbacks to me. The weapon overall is very good imo. It is surprising that it's not used that much given how powerful it is and how it doesn't seem to punish the player for missed shots as much as other chargers do.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I think the Bamboozler may easily be the most underestimated weapon for Ranked. Not a lot of people use it but those that do can usually do very well with it.

Last edited:

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
:wst_charge_light00:Yeah the Bamboozler is underestimated in battle but this weapon has to be one of the most troll weapons in battles when they do come in, however not knowing th full potential of the Bambozzler I can make many comments about it (other than that this tool with 6 or more damage up becomes an unfair 1 hit KO

:wst_shot_explight00:However another tool I've gotten a lot of use out of is the rapid blaster, this weapon is amazing, with enough damage up this tool is a 2 hit KO and 3 for indirect shots (probably could get 1 hit KO with solely damage up)
But this tool is overpowered great speed with area of effect that is great for hitting enemies hiding around corners, and come with :inkmine: inkmine (favorite salty sub), which is great for traps, and coverage and amazing support special known as the bubbler :bubbler: making it a great weapon to both attack and support and I honestly feel it sound get more recognition

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
You might consider the Jet Squelcher one of these. It has a little more power and range than the Dual. Most people prefer the higher rate of fire with the Dual, but there are also many people who swear by the Jet. It's a shooter with charger range, so it has a mix of coverage and killing potential.

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233

Ok I know after watching this I see why so many people say the Bambozzler is under estimated

Saber

NNID
Saber
Switch Friend Code
SW-0369-4203-0233
You might consider the Jet Squelcher one of these. It has a little more power and range than the Dual. Most people prefer the higher rate of fire with the Dual, but there are also many people who swear by the Jet. It's a shooter with charger range, so it has a mix of coverage and killing potential.
:wst_shot_long00::wst_shot_long01:Yeah the jet squelcher is a great weapon with some pretty decent subs with the splash wall :splashwall: for the vanilla (although custom is the preferred choice for it close range backup in the form of burst bombs :burstbomb: and kraken:kraken:), it is a great weapon for halting chargers and the splash wall helps against rush down opponents, however the only flaw like a charger is stealth players who flank you or not managing your ink for the splash wall
But yes this is definitely and underestimated weapon that is very useful in the right hands

Last edited:

Reala

Inkling
NNID
Negrulicious
I feel like Range Blaster is extremely underrated. Outspaces a couple of the top tier weapons (.Gals, Splattershot). The skill curve on it is a lot though, so it doesn't surprise me that I don't see many running around.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
The :wst_shot_explight01: needs more love. With proper spacing, aim, and a lot of :ability_damage: it can score relatively safe 1-3 hit KO's. It outranges popular weapons like the :wst_shot_normal01:,:wst_shot_gravity00:,:wst_shot_expshort00:,and :wst_roller_heavy00: while the burst effect makes it relatively hard to dodge. Turf wise, it can cover somewhat better than most blasters with good spacing, as it can quickly fire lines of ink. Plus, suction bombs are a good map control / harassment tool, while suction bomb rush can clear an area, cover turf, and cause chaos.

Have to agree with the Bamboozler too, I have just been starting to using it, but find it's mobility and charge time immensely useful for close quarters, and both versions have a very useful sub to help protect yourself while attacking. Again, I reccomend loading up on the :ability_damage: to score 1-shot splats on foes with scratch damage.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
I feel like all of the splatlings are rarely used, as I don't see any of them when doing ranked. The hydra and heavy both have great range, with the hydra having some of the most range of any weapon.
The mini is also really good due to its really fast charge and high fire rate, decent range, and sub/special. Really, the mini splatling is just a better tentatek splattershot.

Reactions: LAX

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I feel like all of the splatlings are rarely used, as I don't see any of them when doing ranked. The hydra and heavy both have great range, with the hydra having some of the most range of any weapon.
The mini is also really good due to its really fast charge and high fire rate, decent range, and sub/special. Really, the mini splatling is just a better tentatek splattershot.
As a Splatling main, I see them more frequently, due to how matchmaking works, but I think I am seeing their use go up. Particularly the Heavy Splatling Deco, which is the most used online. I am going to start working on a Custom Hydra guide, since I can now win <50% of my S+ matches with it. The change I think is related to people realizing the importance of support, which is integral on any team, and splatlings are probably the best support weapons in the game.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
It also has to do with people adapting overall. If everybody used aerosprays people would use weapons that can beat aerosprays. Since everybody uses tentateks blasters and gals, more people might start using long-range weapons.

JFL

Senior Squid
NNID
AldricJFL
I feel like Range Blaster is extremely underrated. Outspaces a couple of the top tier weapons (.Gals, Splattershot). The skill curve on it is a lot though, so it doesn't surprise me that I don't see many running around.
It's not exactly uncommon in the higher ranks. l see quite a few of them in S rank and when l watch S+ streamers Custom Range Blasters pop up quite regularly, especially Japanese ones. lt might well be the best blaster in the game, it's just much harder to use than the Luna Neo.

Agree about Rapid Blaster though, all variants. l still see people online saying it's one of the worst weapons in the game while it's perfectly viable if you know what you're doing.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Rapid blaster is great. Played on team red in splatfest and got multiple 700+ point games, suction bomb rush is really good at everything.

Last edited:

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
I don't think the Jet Squelchers are underestimated at all, nor do I think the Bamboozlers are. They're not popular, sure, but almost everyone agrees that they're powerful weapons (Custom Jet Squelcher and Bamboozler Mk II in particular).

The Rapid Blaster Pro is a weapon I think is truly underestimated. The range is really terrific. People think it doesn't outrange the standard Rapid Blaster by much, but it makes all the difference. It's a terrific charger killer, able to pop them on their perches and hit them if they hide behind walls. The Inkzooka also assists with this. It is also the Blaster with the easiest time pressuring the tower, as you hardly have to approach. That said, the bursts are a little on the small side so it doesn't exert the same terrifying tower pressure as its brothers. Nonetheless, it's a very potent weapon in the right hands. I don't think it's top-tier by any means, but it's definitely a strong gun. The Deco model is great as well.

LupusFreak

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LupusFreak
The Zink Mini Splatling has become one of my favorite weapons. When I first started messing around with the splatlings, I originally thought, "Ok this is cool, but what's the point of having the mini? If it's range is shorter and firing time are shorter, then why use it over a Splattershot?"

And then I used it. MAN did my opinion change after that, especially after using the Zink. Compared to the Splattershot it gets better range, better fire rate and TTK (I think), AMAZING ink coverage, and better strafe speed. Then you take all that and add a disruptor AND bubbler?!? It almost makes you wonder that they were on when they designed this combination.

The only real downside is the extremely short charge time, but I suppose the charge speed when in the air is sort of a hindrance. Quite a few times I've jumped while charging and completely forgot about that, and was unpleasantly surprised at the 3 or so shots I put out, which usually led to me getting splatted. That, and maybe the ink usage, but the coverage makes up for that.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
Rapid blaster is great. Played on team red is splatfest and get multiple 700+ point games, suction bomb rush is really good at everything.
The standard Rapid Blaster doesn't get any love either. Yeah Ink Mines have very limited uses, but a bomb rush simply doesn't compliment my play style. I would much rather have a panic bubble in case someone gets too close and a mine in case I know I'm going to get splatted; I've left my opponents plenty of parting gifts that've worked in my favor. When you stack the crap out of damage up and get yourself some cold blooded, you can completely lock down an area - I went 19-2 just keeping the opponents out of the main area in Kelp Dome TC, it was beautiful.

Next step: Cold blooded, ink resistance, and every remaining slot as damage up. I'll make it work.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
jet squelcher. not a lot of people seem to use it (well, for a shooter) but when i tried it out i had instant success (and the kit on the custom, omfg!!) i think most shooter players want to get a little more up close and personal and don't like hanging back as far as the jet squelcher is comfortable in. i bet just about any A rank or higher charger player (even bamboozlers and squiffers) would be able to pick up the jet squelcher really quickly and do quite well. -- not that people think the jet squelcher sucks or anything, they just don't tend to remember it.

classic squiffer is definitely underestimated. not by that much, because it's REALLY hard to use above the A ranks where people REALLY know how to take advantage of its shortcomings... but just a little.

i wouldn't call bamboozler that underrated? since the MK II came out and playstyles for it have imrpoved (including for the MK I), most people seem to know it can be brutal. i noticed a shift in the month after MK II came out, where people stopped trying to constantly barrage me thinking i couldn't handle it (lol). certainly underused, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom